In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Would you buy a 4 door diesel Ford Ranger 4x4?

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I would! Seeing these trucks over here. Wish I could buy one and send it home.
http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Ranger

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    When I was in Iraq 03-04 our unit had A REAL Mazda pickup.(Not a Ford clone.) Brand new. 2200cc 4cyl 4 door 5speed. Would love to have brought it home. Nissan and Toyota make small 4cyl Diesels that are available to everyone else but US[:(]
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love to have one of those!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not heavy duty enough. Bet it gets good fuel economy but a truck also needs to have suspension to pull a big load.
  • EZRyderEZRyder Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will never understand why diesels are only available in 3/4 ton or heavier trucks here. How hard can it be to drop a smaller diesel in a half ton truck?
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ford F150 is comeing out with a oil burner soon
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    No. Any Ford product I've purchased fell apart a few weeks after the warranty expired.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chevy luv years ago had a diesel (isuzu)...back when diesel was cheap ...school system had one to run around to facility in town 12 miles away & errands....never could get more than 5 gallons a week in it...luv to have it now
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix

Chevy has had oil burning small PUs for years, usually somewhere in the 300 miles/quart range. Of course you had to top off the fuel tank with gas every time you added a quart [}:)]
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    No. Any Ford product I've purchased fell apart a few weeks after the warranty expired.

yup.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Sounds kinda cute, but if I want a diesel pickup it's for hauling trailers. It will be full size.

Sad but true, Ford makes money on all these overseas products. They make a lot of vehicles they'd like to sell here at home, but can't.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES. Rangers are awesome trucks.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix

Chevy has had oil burning small PUs for years, usually somewhere in the 300 miles/quart range. Of course you had to top off the fuel tank with gas every time you added a quart [}:)]

Don't forget the 216-235 stovebolt engines that came from the factory leaking.

[:D]

Allen.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EZRyder
    I will never understand why diesels are only available in 3/4 ton or heavier trucks here. How hard can it be to drop a smaller diesel in a half ton truck?

I've been told by several dealerships that fed regulations make it nearly impossible to build a 1/2 ton or compact truck in diesel. They know a market is available, but the regulations make it cost preventative to build US models of light trucks in diesel.
  • EZRyderEZRyder Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That kinda makes sense, unfortunately[:(]
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    chevy luv years ago had a diesel (isuzu)...back when diesel was cheap ...school system had one to run around to facility in town 12 miles away & errands....never could get more than 5 gallons a week in it...luv to have it now

I had a '78 Chevy Luv years ago, put a hot 350 in it with a turbo 350 trannyw/kit and had to drop a '69 Ford Bronco 9" rearend underit to keep from shelling out the pumpkin every friday night. Wish I could find them pics, 10 gallon tank had to fill it daily.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    There is not enough demand in North America for a light duty diesel
    in a F-150 or a Ranger. Its been tossed about for more than 1 decade that
    I am aware of. The general public in America do not like diesels, and
    the fact that diesel is now more expensive than gasoline has poured
    cold water on any hope of it happening.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Never been a Ford man, until 2 things happened. I bought a Ford Ranger as my oilfield truck. It has a 4 banger, is not 15 years old and has 240k miles on it and is a four banger. The second event was that Ford was the only company that told the feds to shove their government money where the sun don't shine. Since I pay cash for everything, I would buy a used Ranger with a diesel, in a heartbeat.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy one
  • pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I'm just a sucker for high fuel prices.
    Got a Cummins to move my skidsteer and the wife runs a CRD Liberty.
    Just wish it had come with a stick.
  • shamtasticshamtastic Member Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a 18 yo 6 cyl ranger that is still running great.
    Though my brother has a 3L 4 cyl hi-lux that is a beast off-road.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    When I was in Iraq 03-04 our unit had A REAL Mazda pickup.(Not a Ford clone.) Brand new. 2200cc 4cyl 4 door 5speed. Would love to have brought it home. Nissan and Toyota make small 4cyl Diesels that are available to everyone else but US[:(]

Seeing those around here too. With the Mazda's and Mitsubishi diesel small pickups.

There's a Hilux around with WWII patern jeep rims and tires on on it. I would love a small diesel pickup. I really don't a F-250, Chevy 2500, or Ram size truck.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187
    quote:Originally posted by EZRyder

I've been told by several dealerships that fed regulations make it nearly impossible to build a 1/2 ton or compact truck in diesel. They know a market is available, but the regulations make it cost preventative to build US models of light trucks in diesel.

Heres what Kelly Blue Book says:
    1994 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup Extended Cab Short Bed

Engine:
    V6 4.3 Liter
    V8 5.0 Liter
    V8 6.5 Liter Diesel
    V8 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    V8 5.7 Liter

Apparently Chevy made a few in and around 1994...
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you buy overseas and ship to US? Could I have it delivered to MX and have my cousin drive it to the states?