In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mounted police,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Other than parades,how many cities still have mounted police?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I remember St.Louis had a very proud/prestiges mounted police division. Do they still?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Dallas PD has a mounted unit. They stable their horses at the State Fairgrounds.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    I remember St.Louis had a very proud/prestiges mounted police division. Do they still?

yes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Dallas PD has a mounted unit. They stable their horses at the State Fairgrounds.
    [^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

yes
    [^][^][^]
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gainesville, Florida did have a mounted unit - but is was disbanded this year. The only "mounted" unit now is on motorcycles.

Best AQH
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Orleans used to use mounted police to break up the crowds at the end of Mardi Gras. I don't know if they still do.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Orlando still has a unit the company my wife works for sponsors a horse
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though I didn't see any this year, Deadwood, SD. I seen them many times in past years.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Louisville, Ky has a unit. Very useful in crowd conditions.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local large PD that had them eliminated them a few years ago. Too big an expense. My 1st wife had a retired Tenneesee Walker from that PD and he was a great horse. We used him for trail competitions because he was so well trained and scared of nothing. He liked sausage biscuits too.
  • Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Washington DC has mounted patrols, they had some of the largest horses I think I've ever seen and it looked like they had smaller riders so made them look even larger...
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chicago brought back its mounted patrol unit in 1974. It is under the command of the Department of Strategic Deployment.

The Mounted Patrol Unit is commanded by:

1 Lieutenant
    4 Sergeants
    27 Mounted Patrol Officers

"The Mounted Patrol Unit currently houses 32 horses (geldings) which are acquired by the Chicago Police Department through purchases and donations. To qualify a horse for duty, they are chosen for uniformity ? alike in appearance, size and temperament. Once the horse is chosen, they are put through an extensive training process to ensure they are capable of meeting the service needs of the unit.

In addition to special events that occur around the city all year long, the Mounted Patrol Unit also conducts daily patrols in several areas of downtown Chicago, including the lakefront, the Museum Campus, Lincoln and Grant Parks, and the shopping areas of North Michigan Avenue and State Street."

The unit is stabled at the old South Shore Country Club on Lakes Shore Dr. It's now named the South Shore Cultural Center.

Best.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Albany, New York has mounted police for about thirty years.I believe the New York State Police has a unit they use for large events..

While cleaning out an old armory of historic properties, I found a room full of horse tack from an old New York National Guard cavalry unit.

I gave several of the old cast iron saddle stands to the Albany PD.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Atlanta and New Orleans still have mounted units. Charleston disbanded theirs in 2011 due to budget cuts
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New York city. Great for crowd control.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure our neighbors to the north still keep them red dressed "Mounties" and their horses in business.[8D]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Portland had a mounted unit until a couple months ago. They said budget cuts, but the protesters and Leftists were bitching that the horses were intimidating.

**Paging Captain Obvious to a white courtesy phone. Paging Captain Obvious to a white courtesy phone....
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tampa Fl has one.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nice to hear they are still around. Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Other than parades,how many cities still have mounted police?

Large cities do. Very effective for crowd control, if you have an officer(s) that knows how to work their horses right.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indianapolis unit is still active.