In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR forward assist???

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Anyone have pros or cons to the round vs. teardrop forward assist?

Comments

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I have to say, I still don't understand what this is for. [V]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate

It's for slappin'
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1

when the weapon gets excessively dirty, that dirt may impede the bolt carrier from being completely closed. in that case, a few raps on the forward assist will force it the rest of the way. thats what the serations on the side of the bolt carrier are for.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the only difference is the shape. I'd guess the round one would get hung up less, though I don't think there would be much difference.

What's it for? To assist the bolt forward. Hence the nomenclature "forward assist." Sometimes the bolt doesn't go all the way forward, especially when one is conducting a brass check, thus the need for a forward assist.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    if you pull the trigger and the hammer doesnt release it is usually because the bolt isnt all the way locked a slap to the assist will finish closing the bolt, then you can fire it
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    if you pull the trigger and the hammer doesnt release it is usually because the bolt isnt all the way locked a slap to the assist will finish closing the bolt, then you can fire it

Does it work on a ratchet action because it only has about a 1/2 inch of travel. I mean do you hit it a few times to get it closed when it fails to close?
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    The capability - or the need - of seating a bolt by forcing it forward isn't unique to the AR.

Note this wasn't on Stoner's original AR design or the M16. The US Army's rifle designs had been equipped to allow the user to force the bolt home if necessary since the 1800's and they wanted the same capability on this rifle. The forward assist assembly came out as a modification on the M16A1 and has been with us ever since, useful or not.

The vast majority of users will never see the need to use it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166

Does it work on a ratchet action because it only has about a 1/2 inch of travel. I mean do you hit it a few times to get it closed when it fails to close?

That's what all the little notches in the side of the bolt are for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    The capability - or the need - of seating a bolt by forcing it forward isn't unique to the AR.

Note this wasn't on Stoner's original AR design or the M16. The US Army's rifle designs had been equipped to allow the user to force the bolt home if necessary since the 1800's and they wanted the same capability on this rifle. The forward assist assembly came out as a modification on the M16A1 and has been with us ever since, useful or not.

The vast majority of users will never see the need to use it.

Ever do a "brass check"? You'll need it if you do.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well there are pros and cons to the assists. In theory there are times when the gun gets dirty and the bolt does not close all the way you can "slap" with the heal of your palm to make it close all the way.

In basic we were taught this failure drill.
    Gun does not fire, slap the mag to make sure it is locked in tight, pull back on the charging handle and look in the action to make sure there is not a round in the chamber, let the the bolt fly home, hit the assist 3 times, try to fire again. This can be done in about 3-4 seconds.

Now the downside to this is say you have a round that is out of spec, or you have some kind of dirt in the chamber and this round is not going to load no matter what. By hitting the assist you now have just made your problem worse to the point of maybe you can not manually get the round to eject.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Give it up. It's the Chauchat of our day, always has been.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I find the bolt assist useful. I've seen AD's with troops in VN..where the bolt slams forward and the firing pin hits the primer. Could be a dirty sticking firing pin, but here's the rub..

The Marines we [corpsmen] were with were trained to retreive the ejected round during the routine clearing-of-weapons when coming back into the compound after patrol. The round is replaced into the magazine. It's bound to get re-chambered again. Maybe a third time, don't know for sure. But you are looking for an AD, as the firing pin hits the primer each time the round is chambered.

I got a CDNN surplus Colt M-16A1 upper and use the bolt assist to "walk" the bolt into battery, rather than allow it to slam home.

Eject a chambered round (at the range, not at the computer!!) Notice the little "dimple" in the primer? Do it again. And again. How many times is too many? Do it and get back to me with the count, or use the forward assist and gently send the bolt home. Yes, I know that one [inertia] strike will most likely not cause an AD, or you would have doubles. Why flirt with the remotest of probabilities at all? Best, Joe
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shape does not matter, I have needed it more than once and it works. I used a friends and he didn't have it and it would have come in handy. YES I like em.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    Give it up. It's the Chauchat of our day, always has been.
    The fact that this rifle has a device which allows you to force the bolt forward has nothing to do with it's overall reliability. As I stated, the Army has had this capability on their rifles since latter part of the 19th century and they like it.

As for needing to hit the forward assist when checking for a loaded chamber, I've never had to have it. As long as your recoil spring is up to snuff, if you pull back more than about 1/2 inch and let it go forward freely it will relock.

The problem many have is not opening the bolt anough during this. For some reason some people only want to retract it enough to peek the bress. Go ahead and pull it on back, then release without riding it forward. As long as you aren't pulling back an entire cartridge length you're okay.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    Anyone have pros or cons to the round vs. teardrop forward assist?

Which ever one feels best aganst the bottom your boot. It's called a kick starter for a reason
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Which ever one feels best aganst the bottom your boot. It's called a kick starter for a reason'Kicks starting' an AR refers to putting the butt on the ground, holding the muzzle out to the side and raking the charging handle with a boot, not the forward assist.

If you have to kick a bolt forward to get it seated you're only making a bad problem worse. [:0]
  • Options
    1911 Gunslinger1911 Gunslinger Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

To help you jam the weapon worse that it could do on it's own.[;)]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's probably best to eject the bad round after a light tap doesn't chamber the round.
    The AK on the other hand, because of a powerful driving spring, will chamber anything resembling a 7.62x39, 5.45x39 or .223 round.
    You can kick the operating handle if that doesn't work.
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    at one point in my life, i was one to say you couldnt give me one of those chincy piece of crap a.rs but since building one last year i must say i love the little thing. its fun. it has a forward assist. havent used it (yet, knock on wood) that being said i still have to point out that,,,, my a.k dont need no forward assist.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wlfmn323
    my a.k dont need no forward assist.

UUUMMMMMM I hate to break this too you but your AK has a forward assist on it too. That thing that sticks out on the right side of the gun that you pull back to load a round is also a forward assist. Same as a M1A, or a Garand, or a M1 Carbine, or a Tommy gun, or Galil, or SKS, or ect.

Since the changing handle is not fixed to the bolt in an AR there is nothing to push forward so it needs to have something else to do it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    If round fails to fire I'm pulling the Charging Handle. But when I load a fresh mag and let the Bolt go home I hit the forward Assist a couple of times.

This comes from firing on the range a lot, When firing the rapid fire and you load a mag of 5 rounds, Let the bolt go home and just in case hit the forward assist. Have felt it move a couple of times.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There some ARs that are currently being produced that no longer have the forward assist...for the simple fact that its not necessary...

My Bushmaster carbon 15 doesn't have a forward assist and I've seen others that don't have this feature anymore.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never used it. IMO, the need to use it is evidence of a problem of some sort that can probably be better solved by pulling the round out as compared to forcing it in.

In a situation where chambering a round quickly is a matter of life and death, of course. If simply plinking away, it is, IMO, better to find out why rather than take the chance of increasing the problem.

Case in point - a broken case. Obviously the next round did not chamber. First step was to drop the mag, eject the round and find the problem. Not quite sure what would have happened if I had tried to force the new round into the 1" of case left in the chamber.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    quote:Originally posted by wlfmn323
    my a.k dont need no forward assist.

UUUMMMMMM I hate to break this too you but your AK has a forward assist on it too. That thing that sticks out on the right side of the gun that you pull back to load a round is also a forward assist. Same as a M1A, or a Garand, or a M1 Carbine, or a Tommy gun, or Galil, or SKS, or ect.

Since the changing handle is not fixed to the bolt in an AR there is nothing to push forward so it needs to have something else to do it.

dam it man,,, you got a point[:(][;)]