In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

patriot gaurd today {funeral}

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
i was a pallbearer at my uncle funeral today who served in Vietnam, U.S. Army was there for the flag ceremony, V.F.W. handled the m1 garand salute graveside

but the patriot guard really unpressed me from beginning to the end, ive seen them on tv on the road and had an idea of what they did but never witnessed their actual professionalism and honer first hand

my uncle was a very devout christian, with many brother in laws being preachers there was at least 6 eulogies and countless prayers for 2 hours, but absolutely not one mention or thanks to the guard

i took it upon myself to go over as they packed up their gear, and shook everyone of their hands and thanked them for their service because apparently the 100 church members did not know they where there, i guess it is a thankless job these guys take time out of their lives to honor the veterans

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. You're a good man.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOD BLESS the Patriot Guard..been to several when they were in attendance....one on a bitter cold clear day and they stood with flags on three sides and had to ride in and back in the cold....i shook hands with one close by and waved it to the rest...one of the Kansas grown groups truly worthy of respect and thanks...don't have to ride to belong
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not enough good things can be said about the Patriot Guard. We have worked with them on multiple occasions when interring vets with MIAP.

The Patriot Guard is also there every month when the local military cemetery holds a service for the soldiers who died with no family to attend. They call the ceremony 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think what they do is wonderful.
    and what you did was very nice also
    so sorry for you loss

some what related to your story my B.I.L. was in Vietnam he was a army Ranger ,
    when he passed the local VFW preformed the m1 salute .
    I shook each one of there hands and told them thank you , they were very respectful and said it was there honor and privilege to do so .
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    Not enough good things can be said about the Patriot Guard. We have worked with them on multiple occasions when interring vets with MIAP.

The Patriot Guard is also there every month when the local military cemetery holds a service for the soldiers who died with no family to attend. They call the ceremony 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'.

Wish "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was held on a Friday, Its Normally held on a Thursday. Now that I'm working again I cannot make it.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have attended many funerals as part of the Pariot Guard. Have been asked many times why we do what we do and my response is always the same.

We do it for the veteran whose funeral we are attending and not for any attention. The saddest ones are for the young guys from Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    the local VFW honor guard was at my fathers funeral and as many didn,t know he was in the thick of it in the south pacific on a destroyer when the suicide japanese planes came in, so they wondered why they were there. when the leader handed me the flag and thanked me for my fathers service tears came to my eyes,one of the many times that day. and many learned about his service to his country that day.i was so proud of the man i called father for 87 years. eastbank.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I became entangled in one of the "Patriot" funeral processions yesterday. While honoring a dead warrior is noble, I can't say that the risk to the 100-200 drivers caught in the traffic snarl was either worthy or logical.
    Impeding traffic on 50 miles of 4 lane highway just seems excessive.
    Cuss me if you want but sensationalizing a funeral is a non-starter for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I became entangled in one of the "Patriot" funeral processions yesterday. While honoring a dead warrior is noble, I can't say that the risk to the 100-200 drivers caught in the traffic snarl was either worthy or logical.

sorry someones death inconvenienced you
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

sorry someones death inconvenienced you

Wonder why he did not pull over like you are supposed to for a Funeral.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Wonder why he did not pull over like you are supposed to for a Funeral"

I guess you dinks can't read. I DID PULL OVER to let the procession pass. The procession followed a major 4 lane highway for 50 miles from Columbia MO to the Veterans' Cemetery near Jacksonville MO with traffic backing up all the way. I(and a few others) followed at a respectable distance while dozens of vehicles flew past right up to the State Troopers following the procession.

"sorry someones death inconvenienced you"

Maybe YOU failed to understand that it wasn't my convenience or inconvenience that I was concerned with. It was the simple fact that I witnessed numerous other drivers engaged in some very dangerous maneuvers while foolishly attempting to pass the column.
  • Options
    edited November -1

"Wonder why he did not pull over like you are supposed to for a Funeral"

I guess you dinks can't read. I DID PULL OVER to let the procession pass. The procession followed a major 4 lane highway for 50 miles from Columbia MO to the Veterans' Cemetery near Jacksonville MO with traffic backing up all the way. I(and a few others) followed at a respectable distance while dozens of vehicles flew past right up to the State Troopers following the procession.

"sorry someones death inconvenienced you"

Maybe YOU failed to understand that it wasn't my convenience or inconvenience that I was concerned with. It was the simple fact that I witnessed numerous other drivers engaged in some very dangerous maneuvers while foolishly attempting to pass the column.

no you failed to state any of that in your first statement, and sounds like you predetermined what you said would not be met well

quote:
    Originally posted by Mobuck

only here can something sad in someones life, with a positive note and respect to those involved be turned into something awful
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It was the simple fact that I witnessed numerous other drivers engaged in some very dangerous maneuvers while foolishly attempting to pass the column.

It wasn't the procession that brought that about. It was self involved clods with their nose up their own *.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss brother. It is comfort for the respect others show. When loved ones are lost. Patriot Guard and folks that care really make the difference...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "It wasn't the procession that brought that about. It was self involved clods with their nose up their own *"

OK, so put some of those 7 highway patrol cars at 1/4 to 1/2 mile intervals in the traffic jam that ensues to settle those "self involved clods" down.
    BTW The way the "biker dudes" were riding I'd guess some of them were pretty "self involved".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:BTW The way the "biker dudes" were riding I'd guess some of them were pretty "self involved".

hcxs2ec