In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

computer geeks please.....

lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I use a Linksys wireless router to use my laptop while my wife is on the desktop. I have a printer connected to the desktop via USB cable and want to be able to access the printer from my laptop. Do I understand correctly this will require a "print server" connected to the wireless router?? I see instructions on the Microsoft site that gives directions to "sharing a printer" but since the laptop can't SEE that printer, how can it share??

some help please???

Comments

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    No print server needed. Right click the printer icon on the desktop system, select sharing, create a name for it and any computer on the network can see it. When adding the printer to the laptop choose Network printer instead of local printer.

That is the simplified version. Read HELP FILES on print sharing. Very easy to do.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To add to basejumper's comment. If you have a firewall on one or both computers you will need to allow the IP address of the computer to access the the computer that the printer is hooked up to or vise versa.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I just email what i want printed to the desktop and print it. I do have a ( dont know what its called ) used for hooking one printer up to more then one computer. I have this hooked up to my laptop dock and the desktop. But i still usally just email it.
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    No print server needed. Right click the printer icon on the desktop system, select sharing, create a name for it and any computer on the network can see it. When adding the printer to the laptop choose Network printer instead of local printer.

That is the simplified version. Read HELP FILES on print sharing. Very easy to do.

Did I mention I'm running both my desktop (with printer) and laptop on Vista??

I always hate it when someone says, "it's simple" and I can't seem to do it, makes me feel less than simple. I've read the drop downs when it change the base PC to print sharing and when I change it, it doesn't give me a chance to enter a password yet when the laptop tries to access that printer, it asks for one????

I'll keep looking but if you know of sites or links that will help a guy who needs "Printer Sharing for Dummies", hook me up.

thanks
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Sorry, not meaning to make you feel inadequate. Once you get it the first time, you will see. Just hard to explain. I will look for pictures.

Before doing the stuff on this webpage:
    1.disable the desktop firewall on both the desktop and laptop (easier than walking you through adding trusted IPs) Once you have shared printer, enable firewall. The shared connection should stay intact.
    2. Make sure the printer is turned on an working.

http://www.vistastic.com/2007/07/17/how-to-share-a-printer-in-windows-vista/

EDIT here is one with pictures:

http://www.home-network-help.com/vista-printer-sharing.html
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    vista is very easy, just install a printer on your notebook, and it will find it automaticaly 3 min tops