In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone have a good beginers excercise program?

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Started running every morning (4 days so far) not making any promises but am trying to get into shape and maybe quit smoking down the line.

There is a gravel track next to my living area. Don't know how many laps = a mile but have been running 3 laps and walking 1 every day so far.

Started curling a package of water bottles (15-20lb's) this morning and will soon hit up the gym. Trying to get a little bit in shape before hitting the weights.

Anyone here excercise? [:o)]
and can you recommend a program of excercise - weight lifting program of some sort for new out of shape people?

Last time I hit a gymn -- 2 years ago, I was in pain for a week afterwards. Couldn't straighten my arms for a couple days. Turned 34 and am out of shape.[B)]

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start slow like you have mentioned and just work your way up in distance and weight..if you are doing the weights for toning,longer reps with lighter weight will get it done...good luck.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to incorporate things you enjoy in your routines too. You will be more apt to continue if you do.[;)] A couple of things I used were a basketball if I was running or music when I was lifting.

Jon
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Bike riding and swimming are very good. They are low impact. Rowing too. Running is hi impact so old people like me stay away from it.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,505 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started exercising 3 months ago. I am rehabbing a total knee replacement from November. Plus, I am paying for several years of inactivity, tired of being out of shape.
    I bought a set of Heavyhands. These are little dumbbells. They are padded with foam, and have a nice foam strap that fits around the back of your hand. They are effortless to hold.
    These were designed by a doctor who was looking for a low impact exercise program that would get you into real good shape.
    You go for a walk while holding the heavy hands. Every other step you take, you thrust one hand high above your head.
    This is a simulation of cross country skiing, and cross country skiiers are the best conditioned athletes in the world.
    Using the Heavyhands while walking burns a lot more calories than just walking.

Sure, putting a 2 pound dumbbell high above your head doesn't sound like much, but in the course of a 30 minute walk, you will get around 800 reps with each hand.

When you get used to the weight, you buy add-on weights. You just unscrew the 2 pound weights, and screw on the 3 pound weights.

I started 3 months ago, walking a half mile. I had the 2 pound Heavyhands.
    I thrust the heavy hands into the air every other step. In one minute, my arms were so tired I had to rest them.
    I thought I would never get up to 3 pounds.
    Now, I am using the 4 pound Heavyhands, and walking 2 1/2 miles.
    That takes 47 minutes. In one workout, I am getting 1,200 reps with each arm.
    I have just ordered the 5 pound weights, and will get up to a 3 mile walk next week.
    My goal is "5 pounds and 55 minutes" and when I am doing that, 3 days a week, I will be in pretty good shape.

http://www.bigfitness.com/hehast.html
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i work out on a regular basis (4x a week, for years). i may be able to help you out. what are you trying to do? build muscle? burn fat? if its a track like the size of say a high school track, its probably a 1/4 mile.
    you can even start out w/ body weight exercises like push ups, pull up, and squats.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Biggest loser workout DVDs. Start with warmup, level one, cool down, then add levels 2-3 when you're ready.
    They are good for beginners, but even if you're in good shape they'll wear you out if you do it right.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goal is to gain muscle. I'm tall and perpetually skinny except for a gut.

I'd be happy to loose the gut and gain some muscle.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i started back a few months ago, about a month ago started hitting it serious, up to 2 miles a day now, arms hit 18" a week ago going for 22", down 20 pounds to date 30 to go, lots of tuna, egg whites, and chicken with a protein shake on the side
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jog/run
    and do
    do 10/20 yard sprints, focus on speed.

Strecth before each work out.

use light weights to start, increase weight every two weeks until you are comfortable that you are useing enough.

start out with 15-25 pound dumbells, 20-30pounds curling bar, 50-75 pounds bench

I do 3 sets of 20-50 reps each, three times, three or four days a week

I have choosen to platue at

50-75 pounds for curling dumb bells, 125-150 curling bar, 175-250 bench. the key is alot of reps, once you platue it will build stimina and you'll get lean, not muscle bound.

I dont remember the names of all the curls that I do and cant really explain the body mechanics without boreing you too death. but just make sure you are working both your bi ceps and tri ceps, back, and chest and fore arms with each work out.

Also about 50 or 100 push ups a day and 250 set ups is a good start.

If you cant do that many, start with a number that wont hurt you badly enough to be a henderance.

good luck!!
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Swimming and walking. Running or jogging just beats the crap out of your knees. Best of luck to you.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    This is going to sound gay lol;

Get a core basic video, the one with the inflatable ball + 20 minutes on a eliptical for a month, then 40, then an hour. Start doing the workout video without the weights for a month to get your body back into the groove, then move to the weights for a month, then into a regular beginners workout program that is more geared towards muscle building. THe video will really help with your core conditioning before you hammer the rest of your body. Got my friend to do this and in three months he has added almost 20 lbs of solid muscle and is much healthier all the way around. By week 5 he was showing vast improvements and it seemed almost overnight towards the middle of the third month just exploded.

Good luck, it is a brave thing you are doing, and far from easy
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    Jog/run
    and do
    do 10/20 yard sprints, focus on speed.

Strecth before each work out.

use light weights to start, increase weight every two weeks until you are comfortable that you are useing enough.

start out with 15-25 pound dumbells, 20-30pounds curling bar, 50-75 pounds bench

I do 3 sets of 20-50 reps each, three times, three or four days a week

I have choosen to platue at

50-75 pounds for curling dumb bells, 125-150 curling bar, 175-250 bench. the key is alot of reps, once you platue it will build stimina and you'll get lean, not muscle bound.

I dont remember the names of all the curls that I do and cant really explain the body mechanics without boreing you too death. but just make sure you are working both your bi ceps and tri ceps, back, and chest and fore arms with each work out.

Also about 50 or 100 push ups a day and 250 set ups is a good start.

If you cant do that many, start with a number that wont hurt you badly enough to be a henderance.

good luck!!
    never start a workout with stretching.

Very, very few people without steroids can get "musclebound"
    getting lean is simply loosing fat while maintaining existing muscle, the amount of reps have nothing to do with how big your muscle get, they either grow or they do not grow.
    edited November -1
    How long do you stretch for?
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

I go in for open heart surgery June 4. They will have me on a regime after that's supposed to put my tired old body back in shape. I'll let ya know what they recommend.

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    quote:the amount of reps have nothing to do with how big your muscle get, they either grow or they do not grow.
    So you are saying that more reps with lighter weights will yield the same bulk as heavier weights with less reps? I am confused
    edited November -1
    depends on the stretch, a quick once around can help vs nothing, legs thighs and calves before a run, again after, then once a day heavy with a pulley system i made for limberness, back shoulders and arms before lifting, and after

i do chest, shoulders and triceps one day, biceps, back and forearms the next, but i'm going for bulk, and dont worry about, "i don't want to get huge" , i hear that allot, and its a lame excuse not to work hard, just try to get big its very hard to do anyway, and i never heard one person ever say "i'm to big"
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    depends on the stretch, a quick once around can help vs nothing, legs thighs and calves before a run, again after, then once a day heavy with a pulley system i made for limberness, back shoulders and arms before lifting, and after

i do chest, shoulders and triceps one day, biceps, back and forearms the next, but i'm going for bulk, and dont worry about, "i don't want to get huge" , i hear that allot, and its a lame excuse not to work hard, just try to get big its very hard to do anyway, and i never heard one person ever say "i'm to big"
    depends on your goals. Range of motion is more important to me than muscle mass. I like being able to hold my arms at my side and move my neck
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

Until I have the remote in my hand!!

[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

depends on your goals. Range of motion is more important to me than muscle mass. I like being able to hold my arms at my side and move my neck

lack of motion is a fallacy, i'm 43 6" 250 pounds, and can do the splits and have full range of arms too, only time its a little ruff is after a good pump for very little time
    edited November -1

lack of motion is a fallacy, i'm 43 6" 250 pounds, and can do the splits and have full range of arms too, only time its a little ruff is after a good pump for very little time
    You are obviously doing something that some of my friends aren't then [:D]. I do not decry others regiment, or goals, they are just not for me. I guess that means you can put me in the group of people who use a lame excuse for not wanting to get huge. I cannot spend 2 hours a day in a gym if I wanted to. I have no desire to * myself when I get older from pushing myself to hard. I am quite content with not having 22 inch arms
    edited November -1

You are obviously doing something that some of my friends aren't then [:D]. I do not decry others regiment, or goals, they are just not for me. I guess that means you can put me in the group of people who use a lame excuse for not wanting to get huge. I cannot spend 2 hours a day in a gym if I wanted to. I have no desire to * myself when I get older from pushing myself to hard. I am quite content with not having 22 inch arms

when me and the wife first met we where both fitness trainers in a big gym, most guys that spend hours in a gym are just using more social time, more bs'ing than lifting, most guys that do not have full range of motion are not stretching correctly, or did not have the ability before, as far as size goes yes it's not for everyone but is very very difficult to achieve, at one time i was benching 425, and 2 arm curling 165 clean, it took a long time and allot of hard work to achieve that, but thats where i personally get the high, similar to runners high, now at this age i'm going for lower body fat, and nothing burns calories better than mass, thats why most body builders can eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain a pound
    edited November -1

when me and the wife first met we where both fitness trainers in a big gym, most guys that spend hours in a gym are just using more social time, more bs'ing than lifting, most guys that do not have full range of motion are not stretching correctly, or did not have the ability before, as far as size goes yes it's not for everyone but is very very difficult to achieve, at one time i was benching 425, and 2 arm curling 165 clean, it took a long time and allot of hard work to achieve that, but thats where i personally get the high, similar to runners high, now at this age i'm going for lower body fat, and nothing burns calories better than mass, thats why most body builders can eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain a pound
    Well I admire your dedication to stay in shape at 43, you must be living well. I am 6' 208 lbs, and that is big enough for me. I understand your point, and am not trying to disprove it, but it is apparent that most larger lifters have done things incorrectly. I have never before met someone who could lift over 400 lbs that could lay their arms flat, or turn their neck. Congrats to you for doing things the correct way!
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Exercise for the sake of exercise is so boring most people soon quit. The key to a healthy body is to engage in activites that are enjoyable and that require physical activity.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was getting fat and real lazy. The local YMCA was giving out 3 free months for those who were laidoff. I was so went in. The set me up with a routine and recommended weights.

Was lifting a lot before I hurt my back at work. So had a good Idea how to lift but was way out of shape.

I did the weights they said, but when I could do 15 reps, 3 sets I bumped up the weight. Did not have the normal cannot use my arms like I normally did when just starting back in.

I Do 10 minutes on a Bike to start and warm up. Then the weight routine. Finish with 30 more minutes on the Bike. Then some stretching when I get home.

Its working cause when I started feet shoulder width apart I had trouble touching my Knees. Now I can touch the ground.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start off slow. work out 3 days a week. Do bench press, chins (if you're strong enough, lat pulldowns if you're not), squat (not leg presses) curls and dips for your triceps. Do only 3 sets of each exercise the first week, working up in weight on each set, with the last set being fairly challenging but not exhausting. Stick to 10-12 reps per set. On chins and dips do about 80% of the max number of reps you can do wit your bodyweight on each set (if you can do 10 dips before you reach muscular failure, do 3 sets of 7-8. If you can do 5 chins, do 3-4 on each set.) Rest 90-120 seconds between sets and exercises. On your second week, do 4 sets, with the last 2 sets being the same weight and heavier than your heaviest set your first week, but not by much. Week 3 is 3 work sets preceded by 2 warm up sets. Strive to increase your work weight a little each week, but stick to 10-12 reps. Stick with your week 3 pattern for weeks 3-6 but increase the work weight or reps on all exercises until you can do 12 reps. Once you can, add weight to take you back to 10 reps and work up again.

WOrk diligently, get rest, eats lots of good food, lots of vegetables and lean protein, take your vitamins, drink your milk, and you'll see results. You'll see strength increases before mass or hardness increases, but the physical change will come in time.

Post again in 6 weeks and I'll outline a good intermediate program that will get you growing again.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:squat (not leg presses)

I would say yes except if you have bad knees. Right knee after I hit a deer on my bike is not really that stable. Can do leg press but not a Squat.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one two method

1.) Get out of chair
    2.) Put down fork
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Excersize is derived from my wood cutting and motocross riding. One is fun and one is just a bunch of hard work. I don't have time to go to a Gym.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457

I would say yes except if you have bad knees. Right knee after I hit a deer on my bike is not really that stable. Can do leg press but not a Squat.

studies have shown time and again that squats are superior to leg presses, even/especially for people with "bad" knees.

The problem is that almost no one takes their squats deep enough. The old saw about parallel and no lower is idiotic in the extreme. Lower is better; your hamstrings should meet your calves at the minimum and you should leave a skid mark on the floor at maximum. I have "bad" knees and ankles, or at least I did until I started working out and doing deep, heavy squats. Every time my knees start hurting, I know I need to hit the power rack and do some deep, heavy, full squats. Viola! problem solved.

Leg presses serve as a useful SUPPLEMENT to squats for the volume and weight you can do, but they are not a REPLACEMENT or SUBSTITUTE for them by any means.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Give this guy a view. http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

I've been taking tips and lost 50LBS so far.
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    When younger and seriously out of shape I joined a club that had all the latest excercise machines. I started out under professional supervision that made me do reps with light weight for safety and toning. I got bored with this quickly and threatened to quit if the pro didn't let me add weight so I could feel a burn. He gave in and let me go. There was a picture of Dick Butkis on the wall explaining that his neck expanded about 3 inches when working out which was fantastic. Before long I was exceeding his neck expansion working up in the weights. I got to using heavier settings and doing about two or three times the reps than anyone else coming to this club. I did not even realize this until I had to quit and the owner came to me to ask me to stay and offered free membership if I would. It seems that I had built a reputation, without know it, to be the goal for most everyone working out. Apparently no one had used so much weight and so many reps on the machines before and the owner wanted me to continue the example as his business had increased so much. After working out 3 to 4 times a week I felt so strong as to wonder how I could ever use this much power in my life style. I always pushed it to burn on all the machines which built muscle and strength and lost the fat. I always hit the hot tub after a workout to disapate the lactic acid build up that causes soremess. An Asprin does much the same after a workout. We usually had arm wresting matches after a workout too. This stopped after one of the guys broke his arm right in two. It sounded like a shotgun going off when it broke. Not braggin here just trying to encourage you as an example of what is possible. Stay with it regularily, At least every other day to let your body rebuild and replenish, stay with it, make sure you get a burn as this is what takes you to the muscle you want. The body will do it if the mind treats it right. Your diet is important when working out too. Not the same foods as when not working out or you only gain fat and not muscle. Good luck and keep us advised of your progress.
    edited November -1
    Taking notes here.

quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Start off slow. work out 3 days a week. Do bench press, chins (if you're strong enough, lat pulldowns if you're not), squat (not leg presses) curls and dips for your triceps. Do only 3 sets of each exercise the first week, working up in weight on each set, with the last set being fairly challenging but not exhausting. Stick to 10-12 reps per set. On chins and dips do about 80% of the max number of reps you can do wit your bodyweight on each set (if you can do 10 dips before you reach muscular failure, do 3 sets of 7-8. If you can do 5 chins, do 3-4 on each set.) Rest 90-120 seconds between sets and exercises. On your second week, do 4 sets, with the last 2 sets being the same weight and heavier than your heaviest set your first week, but not by much. Week 3 is 3 work sets preceded by 2 warm up sets. Strive to increase your work weight a little each week, but stick to 10-12 reps. Stick with your week 3 pattern for weeks 3-6 but increase the work weight or reps on all exercises until you can do 12 reps. Once you can, add weight to take you back to 10 reps and work up again.

WOrk diligently, get rest, eats lots of good food, lots of vegetables and lean protein, take your vitamins, drink your milk, and you'll see results. You'll see strength increases before mass or hardness increases, but the physical change will come in time.

Post again in 6 weeks and I'll outline a good intermediate program that will get you growing again.

When you say pull downs, is this the one:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBFrontPulldown.html

Explain week 3 a little more for me.
    What do you mean by 2 warm up sets? Would that be 2 sets at 80%? then 3 sets at max?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457

studies have shown time and again that squats are superior to leg presses, even/especially for people with "bad" knees.

The problem is that almost no one takes their squats deep enough. The old saw about parallel and no lower is idiotic in the extreme. Lower is better; your hamstrings should meet your calves at the minimum and you should leave a skid mark on the floor at maximum. I have "bad" knees and ankles, or at least I did until I started working out and doing deep, heavy squats. Every time my knees start hurting, I know I need to hit the power rack and do some deep, heavy, full squats. Viola! problem solved.

Leg presses serve as a useful SUPPLEMENT to squats for the volume and weight you can do, but they are not a REPLACEMENT or SUBSTITUTE for them by any means.

thats because squats to many many things, for the knees it strengthens the quadricep, and bicep femur that supports them, squats also helps your torso, but the biggest benefit is that squats stimulate your thyroid, and promotes over all growth, there is no replace for squats that can give you 100% of the same benefit