In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunsmith ? sort of

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
if i take my gun to a smith to get barrel ported or what ever and he has to send to "x" company to have work done, does he have to be a ffl to get it back/ or go thru ffl and do i have to do paper wrok with him (backround) to get it back?

not a big deal just something i have always wondered

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is only the barrel being sent...NO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    right. but if reciver go its like any of other gun deal right?

i just did not know if there was some law if going fro liscensed smith to a "x" company for work then no paperwork needed
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless i am mistaken, your smith has it in his b-book as recieved for repairs
    him sending it to another licensed shop and its subsequent return to him does not affect you at all as it is part of his expense involved with the repair/modification
    you just pick up when finished same as any other work
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yea i just did not know if smith sent reciver & barrel out for what ever work if he cant do, if paperwork like a gun sale would have to be done.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "paperwork" in the form of a 4473 form is used when there is a transfer of ownership. When you send a gun for repairs, it can be returned directly to you. They can also send you a replacement gun of like kind.

I send my Remington 700 to a smith for repair. He can repair and return to me, no paperwork on my end. He logs it in and out of his bound book. Return to anyone else gets a 4473.

I send my Remington 700 to Remington for warranty work. Gun is totally screwed up. Remington can send me another 700 directly.

Go look up 18 U S Code, section 922.
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with 11b, unless you live in New York or California, they may have something completely different since they arent really a part of the US anymore.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok thanks 11b6r i dont care about paperwork, nor have a problem with it just something i have always wondered and had no idea were to look or what type on google for correct answer.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Always ask here 1st We are Know it alls[:D][:D][;)]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If all your doing is having a barrel ported why bother with a middle man. Just send it out to the porter yourself and they can send it right back to you.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    If all your doing is having a barrel ported why bother with a middle man. Just send it out to the porter yourself and they can send it right back to you.

+1. I'm curious why the gunsmith can't do the porting?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i have not checked locally cause we dont have alot of smiths in my area
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A Real gunsmith has an FFL license.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    well i have not checked locally cause we dont have alot of smiths in my area

You can send it any where in the country and they can ship it back to you.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    Always ask here 1st We are Know it alls[:D][:D][;)]

at least many believe they do, and those guys really annoy those of who do [:D]