In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A quick five years

Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
The "Green" energy saving made in China sold by GE flourescent mercury laden light bulb I installed last fall just burned up. Somewhere Thomas Edison is laughing his a$% off...

Comments

• 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Those bulbs suck.

My first 5 year light lasted a mere 3 months.

They are dim as well/ hell and have never produced as much light as a regular bulb in the 60 watt range even.

If you drop one and it breaks, look out you need to call the EPA, BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE FROM MERCURY POISONING. (not much of an exaggeration)

I'll take regular incandescent bulbs for lighting , thank you.
  • cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye
    Those bulbs suck.

My first 5 year light lasted a mere 3 months.

They are dim as well/ hell and have never produced as much light as a regular bulb in the 60 watt range even.

If you drop one and it breaks, look out you need to call the EPA, BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE FROM MERCURY POISONING. (not much of an exaggeration)

I'll take regular incandescent bulbs for lighting , thank you.

Better stock up on those as well as ammo, the feds mandated all lights to be CFL's in the next few years in their energy policy about two years ago.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Just saw another one in my dining room has burned out again.The second 5 year bulb in that fixture I`ve had to replace this year. Time flys.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when you buy from china you are buying CHEAP Wpoops that makes them rich & makes us poor...shame the US govt can't plan any further ahead than the next election...now that nothing is made here but burgers guess who calls the shots on prices
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do get what you pay for. The real green lights aren't cheap.
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a hotel remodel way back in the mid 80s in London and I used them then.I have a fairly large house with about 32 light bulbs used.Found they have saved me money,but they dont all last as long as the warranty says.Most have mine have lasted for the last few years I have been using them.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Them nice GREEN bulbs are great. They are so toxic they CAN"T be made in the USA!
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    The first ones I bought lasted around 6 years .
    The new ones last me around 1 year .
    the ceiling fans are the only place I use them as they seem to withstand the vibration better .
    Hate the light ![}:)]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pay a little more for the good ones and they seem to last.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i never had one last more than a few months, i even got the expensive ones hoping they where worth a darn, they suck