In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Drywall is done

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
Looks nice.. now what kind of primer..Sherwin Williams..100 per 5 gal
Behr 60 bucks, Kilz 40 bucks. Going thru a gun.

Comments

• Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On new drywall, you're best bet is PVA (Polyvinyl acrylic) tinted to you color.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    I prefer Sherwin, but that's mainly because I used to work there when I was in college and know their product well and trust it to perform. I also get a good discount on it because of that.

I've not had good experience with Behr and Killz, while it's a great stain blocker isn't the best primer in the world so far as paint adhesion goes. If you were going with oil based that'd be a different story.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my drywalled shop walls as a test bed and for setting the spray pattern on my guns for automotive primers and paints, NAPA epoxy primer and basecoats seem to stick really well to the drywall [:D]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Behr is the worst paint I have ever used. And I have been painting since I was 16.
    Kilz is very good, especially for covering stains.
    I don't think you could go wrong with Sherwin Williams.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PVA primer for drywall.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I don't know the manufacturer,
    but when I did carpentry on the side and when it came
    to drywall,I'd use bulk 5 gal primer,look for
    shadows ,fix em ,re-prime the bad spots and then paint.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed! Behr is craaaaaaaaaaaaap! I painted my house 5 years ago, it looked like crap and faded within the first year! Never again!

Merc

quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Behr is the worst paint I have ever used. And I have been painting since I was 16.
    Kilz is very good, especially for covering stains.
    I don't think you could go wrong with Sherwin Williams.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I would not use Behr or Valspar paint on or in an outhouse.

Have always had good luck with Glidden (cheap) and Sherman Williams PVA primer on new drywall using a Graco paint gun. Kilz is nothing more than White out that they used to correct mistakes back in the day when people used type writers I do not like it at all. I would use UGL Drilok before I would waste my time with Kilz.

Do not waste your money on one of those cheap Wagner paint sprayers with the cup attached. Cheapest Wagner I would recommend is the the ProCoat they make with a 1/2 hp motor.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a graco gun but won't be doing the spraying of the home. Home Depot had this on sale. The bahr could not be used under satin or gloss paint. Kilz Pva can.

http://www.kilz.com/products/primer/kilz-drywall-pva-primer
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    last chance: If you want uniform sheen and decent adhesion ,use PVA and tint it to your color...
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sherwin williams is overpriced crap, the wife insisted on doing our cabinets in this 50 dollar a gallon crap, started chipping and peeling in 6 months

a lot of people dont know kilz makes paint other than a stain blocker, they make a true 1 coat paint that has the consistency of mayonnaise that will cover holes the size of 16 penny nails , i have current walls 10 years old that can take a scrubbing and keep on ticking