In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tinted driver's windows

merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Should be outlawed. The motorcycle thread brought up one of my pet peeves.
I hate it when you come to an intersection and can't see the drivers face and maybe get
an idea of his intentions. Even worse when riding a motorcycle.
Used to be illegal to have dark driver and passenger windows in some states.
What happened?

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You also cant see if they are pointing a weapon at you...Im in your corner on this one...
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    It good to make eye contact. With out it you have no Idea what they are going to do.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More laws are always the answer.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    You also cant see if they are pointing a weapon at you...Im in your corner on this one...

and if you are able to see it, most likely its too late anyway

not a lot of people are in the habit of shooting out their own window to randomly shoot someone
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO
    I have tinted windows in my truck and my son has in his car(s) his is dark to the point he gets pulled over on occasion [B)]
    as long as it causes no issue for the driver of the car while driving .. its there car /truck . it should be the owners choice on the tint ,
    how about the dark tinted visors on MC helmets or the semi trucks too tall to see into when your in a car . out law them also [:D][:D]
    we have way too many laws and rules now . and yes here where we live you can only have a % of your front windsheild tinted and the side glass has to be with in certain limits of "shade " or its ticket time [:(!]
    as for me same as seat belt laws and fines just a money maker for the Government

oh and soon as the government stops blacking out all the "special use vehicle windows " another OK for us but you peeons are not allowed law
    I will consider it on mine
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my state they're still outlawed,

I had on my 91 Thunderbird super Coupe, and you know at night time when I wanted to use my mirrors to back up, I could not see anything.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had some rally tinted windows on my 07' Monte Carlo SS. I hated them. If you pulled up at a stop sign at night, it was hard to see if there was a car coming at times. If it was raining or snowing, it was real hard. I have never, nor will ever pay for aftermarket tinted windows.

Jon
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    JMHO
    I have tinted windows in my truck and my son has in his car(s) his is dark to the point he gets pulled over on occasion [B)]
    as long as it causes no issue for the driver of the car while driving .. its there car /truck . it should be the owners choice on the tint ,
    how about the dark tinted visors on MC helmets or the semi trucks too tall to see into when your in a car . out law them also [:D][:D]
    we have way too many laws and rules now . and yes here where we live you can only have a % of your front windsheild tinted and the side glass has to be with in certain limits of "shade " or its ticket time [:(!]
    as for me same as seat belt laws and fines just a money maker for the Government

oh and soon as the government stops blacking out all the "special use vehicle windows " another OK for us but you peeons are not allowed law
    I will consider it on mine

I tend to agree with you...Virginia only allows 50% on the front, 35% on the back. There are quite a few vehicles on the road here that have illegal tint.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by merlinn

I hate it when you come to an intersection and can't see the drivers face and maybe get
    an idea of his intentions. Even worse when riding a motorcycle.

The old adage of "make eye contact with the driver" is worthless advice. The driver can look directly at you and still not see you.
    I pay attention to what the front tire is doing. Is it straight or angled left or right? Is it still rolling, did it just start rolling?
    Everybody on the street/road with you presents a risk. Those that appear to present greater risk warrant a few extra seconds of scrutiny.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cops in wichita have a tint chart with them that judges your windows...35 years ago had warranty work on a pickup i bought and was winding thru town on the way out when i got stopped ...he told me why i was stopped and let me go....
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    The laws are still in place, just not actively enforced. My truck has illegally dark tinted side windows. It was that way when I got it, and I see no need to change it.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the no more laws thing so if they hit someone just kill them. [}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck Arkansas has cardboard and duct tape and the more classic style is plywood with a little half moon in the windows all around.

AND posted keep out painted on their tires with a paint brush.

and No whiners in Arkansas.[;)]
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    Heck Arkansas has cardboard and duct tape and the more classic style is plywood with a little half moon in the windows all around.

So you been checking out my pickem up truck have ya!!
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When approaching a stopped car at an intersection I watch their wheels to look for movement. Most wheels or hubcaps have some kind of spoke pattern that makes it easy to see if they start to move.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    When approaching a stopped car at an intersection I watch their wheels to look for movement. Most wheels or hubcaps have some kind of spoke pattern that makes it easy to see if they start to move.

When in Arkansas their wheels are rusty with no hubcaps so watch for the white brushed on paint on the tires, POSTED, KEEP OUT to see movement.

The tires were stolen (borrowed) off of some ones (usually a Yankee's) fence posts when the Arkansawyer's were trespassing (sneaking in or road huntin) and deer hunting on the private property.

The tire and window thing is also common practice in Oklahoma in the counties that border Arkansas.[;)]

Not fake news![;)]
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the "influx" around here immediately tint their windows. To pull them over is racial profiling.

I had an unknown tinted park in front my my house for a few hours last year. It's weird. Folks parking and doing drugs? Who knows. The local police told me there is no enforcement at this time. SE Pennsylvania.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by festus
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

So you been checking out my pickem up truck have ya!!

Not sure if I'm seein yourn.. See several of that description at Fayetteville area.
  • Options
    theranger1theranger1 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't have dark window tints in my city. I think it's more of a city within state issue here in Texas. I agree, the drivers need to see other drivers thru window to know his intentions.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ricci-I do the same thing. I believe they outlawed those "spinner caps" that kept on going around after the vehicle came to a stop.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    add to the list the druggies , drunks , texers , phone calling . putting on make up . rubber necking . making out ,,all while driving I am sure there is a few more [:D][:D][:D] to add to the list of the all the things people do , the dark tinted windows is the least of what worries me when driving

quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I agree with the no more laws thing so if they hit someone just kill them. [}:)]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a car in college 74 Malibu Classic. Full limo tint all the way around (except windshield) It was hard to see out at night. My car I have max legal on the front windows and limo black in the back. It helps with the heat here... Windshield is factory.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    add to the list the druggies , drunks , texers , phone calling . putting on make up . rubber necking . making out ,,all while driving I am sure there is a few more [:D][:D][:D] to add to the list of the all the things people do , the dark tinted windows is the least of what worries me when driving

quote:Originally posted by mogley98

+1
    Gotta love all the freedom talking, Constitution lovin' members here that seem to always want more laws.[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This belongs with the paranoid thread..[:)]
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of you need to find something better to worry about!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    theranger1 wrote:
    quote:You can't have dark window tints in my city. I think it's more of a city within state issue here in Texas. I agree, the drivers need to see other drivers thru window to know his intentions.

I try very hard not to go into your part of the world. Way too citified, and too many yankees. And too many red light cameras. The City of Little Elm still thinks I owe them $100. I'll owe them forever before I beat them out of it!

I used to live near there, and I remember when Little Elm came to be. The city was incorporated just so the citizens there could vote "wet" and let a liquor store/beer & wine store come in. It was a good place to buy beer. I was under-age, and the clerks never asked for my ID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, my truck has stick-on limo tint all the way 'round. It was freshly installed when I bought the truck. Ordinarily, I avoid tint film, but on a 20-year-old truck, one can't be choosy.

Now, when we bought Dawnie's car recently, tint film would have been a deal-breaker. Nope, not having it. Dark I like, but I want the GLASS dark, not some piece of plastic. Dawnie's car has maximum DOT-allowable tint on the windshield and front windows, and privacy tint on the rear quarter and rear windows. In the glass. From the factory.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    with all the health warning about the sun tinted windows should be mandatory , when a leo approaches require to roll it down, its that simple

with my medical issues i have to avoid the direct sun, i was out without protection for 45 min today and paying for it as i type {not planned} i should not be forced to drive around in a greenhouse

some of you are very paranoid, 1 never pull up all the way at a light in the first place, leave room to vacate or pull up, a person can point a gun at you right through the door while smiling at you ifn they desired, i think hollywood has gotten to some of you