In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you could go back in time

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
With one rifle, and ammo, and affect one turning point in history, what would it be?

I would go back to the southeast coast of Britain in 48 ad. This was when the foul Romans invaded the heartland of the Celts.
I would have liked to had a scoped Swedish Mauser, and 3,000 rounds of soft point ammo, and as the Roman invasion fleet got within 300 yards of shore, begun picking off the Roman troops.
They would have scuttled back home with tales of "The Celtic Thunder God."

It was all downhill for my people after Rome conquered us.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What guns do you really wish you would have purchased - that you passed on?

If you are a man that has lamented a specific 'missed opportunity' please tell us why....

If you really want to get into it - Do it by year or decade.

I have really only been into it for the last three years or so... I already have a few in mind.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of the line from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"....

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You learned what little you know of the Celts from a Monty Python movie.
    What a Rhodes scholar.
  • Options
    Daddie_TomDaddie_Tom Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever see "THE FINAL COUNTDOWN" http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/final_countdown.htm Imagine taking the USS Nimitz back in time before Pearl Harbor. Good movie
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first wife comes to mind!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    civil war,
    on the south side,
    AK 47,
    drum magazines,
    fmj good ol wolf...
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20mm phalanx alamo
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Reminds me of the line from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"....

"ROIT-THEN, apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
    U GOTTA LOVE ,John Clease!!!(sp)
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I'd love to have a "warthog" (flying gun) to help the boys at Omaha beach. Even though I was never there, I have nightmares of that landing.
  • Options
    TavisTavis Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd second that Rod, my Grandpa was in the D-Day landing. He died when I was around 3, but I'd read letters of his from that, and throughout the rest of the war. My other Grandpa was was on the USS Archer-Fish, the submarine that sunk the largest ship ever sunk by a sub, the Shinano, a Japanese aircraft carrier in WW2. He was also at the japanese surrender.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scoped .30-06 at the Alamo. Might not change the outcome, but, going back knowing what maybe Crockett and the others didn't realize until too late -- the first time Santa Anna showed his face, the Mexicans would have been looking for a new commander.

BTW, Allen, as a fellow Celt and very proud of it -- I think R.O.L. was just giving you a bad time [:D]. And "Life Of Brian" -- that there's funny, I don't care who you are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .416 Barret Scoped. Berlin,'41
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    With one rifle, and ammo, and affect one turning point in history, what would it be?

I would go back to the southeast coast of Britain in 48 ad. This was when the foul Romans invaded the heartland of the Celts.
    I would have liked to had a scoped Swedish Mauser, and 3,000 rounds of soft point ammo, and as the Roman invasion fleet got within 300 yards of shore, begun picking off the Roman troops.
    They would have scuttled back home with tales of "The Celtic Thunder God."

It was all downhill for my people after Rome conquered us.

I like your style Mr. Griggs, but then I ahve always admired the Irish and their age old struggle for independence, especially from the Brits. If it were me I suppose I'd take along an automatic rifle of some sort and stand shoulder to shoulder with those Poles who fought along side Tadeusz Koociuszko in the last heroic attempt to save Poland's independence in the national uprising of 1794. After this failed Poland was partitioned and disappeared as an independent nation until 1918. If I could have sent several hundred Russian invaders to their graves before I was killed I would have considered my efforts well worth the ultimate sacrafice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    hhmm, I think I would go back and waste Hitler before he got anything started.

Stalin killed 27 million, but it probably wouldn't do any good to off him because he was part of a party ideology, another monster might have popped up just like him anyways. maybe immediately after WWII would have been a good time.

it wouldn't do any good to stop Pizarro or Cortez on their way to their massacres, because there would be more, like Ponce DeLeon, Coronado, De Soto, etc.

I could pop Ghenghis Khan, (and therefore also eliminate his son and grandson) because he slaughtered a lot of people and destroyed a lot of things, but it was also a good thing that he brought some civilization to parts of Asia.

I could grease Attila the Hun, but his driving people from east to west included forcing the (?? I forgot) to ask for shelter in lands of the Roman Empire, who ultimately got tired of their crap, kicked their * aned sacked Rome, which was a good thing. so Attila lives.

I wouldn't do anything to affect the Romans, becasue they brought civilization of one kind or another to Europe. then they self imploded. I'd leave well enough alone. I think they were a pestilent and odious people, but necessary.

I wouldn't help the Greeks fight the Persians, because yes they got beat and their disillusionment with themselves after that ultimately caused the downfall of Greek civilization, but on the other hand, the Persians cultivated Mesopotamia and Asia Minor, the Greeks weren't going to do it

there really wasn't anything worth doing in Egypt, or Mesopotamia during the times of the Babylonians or Sumerians, and anywhere else in the world or before that there wasn't any organized civilization to speak of. nothing of consequence.

so, yeah, I'd go waste Hitler.
    Too much babble.
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster

I could grease Attila the Hun, but his driving people from east to west included forcing the (?? I forgot) to ask for shelter in lands of the Roman Empire, who ultimately got tired of their crap, kicked their * aned sacked Rome, which was a good thing. so Attila lives.

Visigoths. Their king, Alaric, had been a general in the Roman army, prior to sacking Rome in 410 AD.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Too much babble.hhmm, I think I would go back and waste Hitler before he got anything started.Stalin killed 27 million, but it probably wouldn't do any good to off him because he was part of a party ideology, another monster might have popped up just like him anyways. maybe immediately after WWII would have been a good time.it wouldn't do any good to stop Pizarro or Cortez on their way to their massacres, because there would be more, like Ponce DeLeon, Coronado, De Soto, etc. I could pop Ghenghis Khan, (and therefore also eliminate his son and grandson) because he slaughtered a lot of people and destroyed a lot of things, but it was also a good thing that he brought some civilization to parts of Asia. I could grease Attila the Hun, but his driving people from east to west included forcing the (?? I forgot) to ask for shelter in lands of the Roman Empire, who ultimately got tired of their crap, kicked their * aned sacked Rome, which was a good thing. so Attila lives. I wouldn't do anything to affect the Romans, becasue they brought civilization of one kind or another to Europe. then they self imploded. I'd leave well enough alone. I think they were a pestilent and odious people, but necessary. I wouldn't help the Greeks fight the Persians, because yes they got beat and their disillusionment with themselves after that ultimately caused the downfall of Greek civilization, but on the other hand, the Persians cultivated Mesopotamia and Asia Minor, the Greeks weren't going to do it. there really wasn't anything worth doing in Egypt, or Mesopotamia during the times of the Babylonians or Sumerians, and anywhere else in the world or before that there wasn't any organized civilization to speak of. nothing of consequence.

so, yeah, I'd go waste Hitler.

how's that.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    A Armalite AR-7 and a trip back to visit Mohammad's family the day after he was born. Allah's lacky to be would cease to be.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I think 11/22/63 at Dallas.

The gun??

6.5 Swede with a 4XLeupold.

The target...??

Oswald.

Doug

* edited to save a year
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I think 11/22/62 at Dallas.

The gun??

The target...??

Oswald.

Doug

Aw hell Doug, the two real shooters were behind the fence overlooking the grassy knoll.....
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    In point of fact, I was the rifleman behind the fence, and I was alone.

My previous post was to misdirect the authorities, who are getting too close.

Doug

"I was a dam builder..."
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I think 11/22/62 at Dallas.

The gun??

The target...??

Oswald.

Doug

Hope you pack a lunch. You've got quite a wait.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I would like to be at the Alamo with a Remington 700P, Leupold tactical scope, Harris bipod and 2,000 rounds of .308 ammo.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    civil war,
    on the south side,
    AK 47,
    drum magazines,
    fmj good ol wolf...

You're not too far off there KY. Harry Turtledove wrote a book called "the guns of the south" where a guys does just that [ak-47's]. Yes the south wins the war. [;)]
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    No guns!! Just a fist full of cash. IBM 2 1/2 cents a share. Polaroid 4 cents a share. Oil 10 cents a barrel. Well you get the drift.[:D]
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    I wrote a short story on this very subject in college!!!
    Scenario... man is locked in a pointless war on a dying earth
    A man steals a time machine and travels back in time and stops at various points in history trying to teach people change their ways in order to forge a different future!!! He fails! In a the end he flings himself to the time of Adam and Eve. In the end he shoots them both. As they lay dying he begins to fade away....(there is wee bit more) but....
    I'll stop there.... Got a big fat A+ for that one......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "I would like to be at the Alamo with a Remington 700P, Leupold tactical scope, Harris bipod and 2,000 rounds of .308 ammo."

I like to think about the Alamo. You certainly could have done some good work with a good sniper rifle, there on the Texas plains.
    I believe you could have turned the Battle of the Alamo with the guns and ammo available in a single Wal Mart.
    The final charge by the Mexicans was at 3am. So you had masses of troops charging. A 12 gauge loaded up with buckshot would have been real handy.
    Any of the big pistols would have worked well, especially a semi auto with extra mags.
    Even the little .22 would have been valuable. Imagine a 10/22 with about 20 mags of 10 shots.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever read Steven King's The Dead Zone.

He didn't go back in time, but the guy had visions of the future, and acted on them.

(I wouldn't want to spoil the book for you, and tell you what happened though).

As for me, I think I would have been at Logan or Dulles airport early in the morning on September 11, 2001 with a 1911, and some 230 grain hydro-shocks.

911-tower2-2.jpg
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

Karl Marx.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoot john wilkes booth, Lincoln would live long enough to finish his unspoken of plan, then look for Hitler, and bolsheviks ancestors