In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Puma Rifles

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
How good are they. Kind of like the Special "Chuck Conors " One. Its not overly done like some of the John Wayne Models of others I've seen.

Comments

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i was just getting started in cowboy action i bought a new trails end oct barrel case hardened winchester in 45 colt. gave it lots of chances in practise and even took it to 3 shoots. i am not kidding when i say it never once made it more than 4-5 times without jamming, i had two friends at the same time that bought nearly identical guns, all in 45 colt. one of theirs jammed like mine and the other worked flawlessly all the time. well at one shoot someone felt sorry for me and let me use his puma. long story short i sold the winchester and UPGRADED to the puma. works awesome, even though it worked perfectly i put in a set of lees gunslinger spring kits to lighten everything up. gun works better than great and i love it. you will not be disappointed.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned several and they all worked flawlessly, not to mention that they are VERY accurate.

Lance
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I took a look at The Bounty Hunter and I'm curious as to how that thing isn't NFA.

And can I save up enough for one before some bright boy at the ATF catches wind of it?[:p]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank I do like the looks of this one and it would be the lever gun I would want most. So it looks like I need to start looking for one. Its a 44-40.
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I own shoots like a bast*rd. No complaints thus far...........
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    I took a look at The Bounty Hunter and I'm curious as to how that thing isn't NFA.

And can I save up enough for one before some bright boy at the ATF catches wind of it?[:p]

I believe it has a pistol receiver.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a Puma in a .38/.357 with a 20" barrel, and it is a blast to shoot. I reload and I can shoot it for pennies with using hard cast lead. Mine will jam every once in a while, but due to my own doing. I will turn the rifle side ways to catch the brass in my hand (hate to hunt for brass in the tall grass) and the next round will sometimes catch. Haven't had this problem if the rifle is fired properly. Very accurate, have really been giving the painted turtles a hard time in my pond. Carry it all the time in my UTV.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a Puma in a .38/.357 with a 20" barrel, and it is a blast to shoot. I reload and I can shoot it for pennies with using hard cast lead. Mine will jam every once in a while, but due to my own doing. I will turn the rifle side ways to catch the brass in my hand (hate to hunt for brass in the tall grass) and the next round will sometimes catch. Haven't had this problem if the rifle is fired properly. Very accurate, have really been giving the painted turtles a hard time in my pond. Carry it all the time in my UTV.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't ya love the ohsa epa safety ????
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pumas are one of the best copies of the Winchester 1892 around, except maybe for the japanese copy imported by Browning some years ago. I have one in 44-40 that the previous owner had slicked up for CAS. It's smooth as warm butter and accurate. Got it for a song at a gunshow a few years ago, it was a slow seller because of the caliber so the guy was ready to deal. They can definitely benefit from an action job by someone who knows them well, or just lube it and shoot the crap out of it to smooth it out. That's not to say that many are fine right out of the box, but the tune up makes it all the more a pleasure.