In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre Old FarT occupation.???

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited November 2016 in General Discussion
What do or did you do for a living. I worked as an instructor, Service Engineer and Technical Writer writing operator's manuals.

Penguin

Comments

• Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked on and repaired .223 CASE making machines,for a large Military ammunition production facility.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Plumber. YeeHaw! liven the dream
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

Now come on Ski, layin pipe can't be that bad[^][:p][:D][;)]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started in a grocery store at 16 I was about 20 when I left and started working construction 13 years ( union ) left that and worked for a auto manufacturing plant / company here in Oh for 25.5 years really the best job position treated me fantastic . really three jobs to date . retired almost three years now , have plans to pick up some part time job maybe a parts place or big box store in the near future to give the wife a break from me ( also to keep my gun addiction funded )

I did help out a uncle at a used / repair appliance shop when younger and his scrap yard mostly as a second job here and there along the way he was always jumping in and out of different businesses
  • Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horse-shoer during and for a while after high school. Decided early on that I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life.
    Todd Shipyard in Seattle for a couple of years.
    Auto body and painter for 25 years.
    Then my flying hobby turned into a self employed job in 1988.
    Still working on them damn planes today!!
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    30 years in the radio biZ
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After College I spent 8 years and 9 months in the Navy. When I got out of the Navy I spent 30 years with a Defense Electronics Firm as an Engineer, Manager, and the last 8 years as an Executive with the Company.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before becoming an old fart I'm going to spend a few more years being a young stinker.
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Communication technician (telcom) for 45 years.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Marine 20 years

Works varied jobs since then. RV manufacturing, Panel MFG and even Heavy Equipment MFG.

Now after going back to school Drafting.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not counting jobs while going to school like loading trucks at the Knoxville News Sentinel and washing dishes at Shoney's Big Boy and pumping gas at 2 Pure Oil Service Stations. I went to work for Benco Plastic's sign company as a draftsman. Then a couple of years later I went to work as a draftsman for the Carrier Corp. After 2 years there I went to work for the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) as a draftsman, later with TVA I was a mechanical designer including doing inspections on all of TVA'a hydro projects. Then later I worked as a field engineer in TVA's construction division. And finally for TVA I was working as a construction superintendent.

I worked for TVA for a total of 23 years when they screwed me and about 7,000 other employees out of their retirement by laying us off. 7,000 people were told on the same day your outta here! Your age and number of years of service had to add up to 80 before you were eligible for full retirement. Amazing how many of us that were laid off that were just short of the magic 80 points. They kept all of their minorities and woman. They kept employees that I had trained. [:(!]

TVA hired the former Post Master General, Marvin Runyon, that was known as Carvin' Marvin for his reputation as a hatch man to come in and cut the company to the bone.

I was literally thinking of burning Marvin Runyon's house down with him in it I was so pissed and I wasn't the only one. Laying people off is a normal occurrence in business but picking the old guys out that were near retirement was in my opinion criminal! [:(!]

Anyway I went to work for another company as a project manager in construction for the next 19 years before I retired 2 years ago. I ended up making more money than I would have at TVA if I had worked there until I died. Things work out.

Luckily, thanks to my wife, I'm not in prison today.

Well that tuned into a bit of a rant, sorry about that. [:I][:)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    34 years as a Welder, still doing it. Not quite ready to hang up my leathers yet for a hardware store job or weld supply sales, but getting close. Can't move twice my body weight like I use to. I have told the owner of the shop- the 30 something's need to step up. I am an accident waiting to happen with the structural stuff.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started doing electrical work in 1977.

Worked days and taught a 4 year electrical apprenticeship class nights at a local collage from 1991 through 2003.

Now an electrical technician and spend more time pushing buttons than turning screws.

Just sorta an old fart, got 88 months until retirement.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did 20 years in the US Army,

Did residential house framing and roofing,

Worked at a chemical plant in Riceboro, Ga.

Worked at a lumber mill in Carthage, NY.

Now I do small arms repair for the Army.

Plan on retiring in 6 years come end of December.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    Worked in a furniture factory at 18, running a giant planer. It stopped one day and the foreman called the electrician.
    Guy came riding up on a 3 wheel bicycle. Straps on his tool belt, pulls out a screwdriver, gets the machine going.
    I said to myself "that's the job I want".
    Spent 39 years pulling wire and bending conduit.
    Never did get to ride a 3 wheel bicycle.
    Oh, I was supervisor the last 10 years, but would just as soon forget those years.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Field tech for IBM every thing from Key punch machines1967 to water cooled Main Frame computers December 31th 1999
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horseshoer for about 30 years. At age 50 I developed avascuclare necrosis of the hip. Then an orthopedic surgeon put me out out of business forever. Now I'm officially an old (crippled) fart.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    little bit of everything, but mostly a chef

going on 7 years as an insurance producer, 1 day a week i can make 2-3 times a week as i did working 60-90 hours a week in a kitchen

however election year puts a huge damper on my biz
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fish squeezer in a caviar factory.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Police officer, then back to school and worked as an Associate Curator at the New York State Military Museum for thirty-two years.

I got paid to play with guns and swords....[:)]
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Middle school science and English teacher.

Yep, I'm a bit "touched"[:D]
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked from the time I was 8 years old. 1st. on the farm. 2nd at a restaurant. 3rd. entertainer for about 12 years. 4th US army special services and combat medic for 5 1/2 years. Construction as a grade checker for about 5 years. Spent the rest of my life as a Auto Mechanic mechanic for GM, Ford and AM then self employed auto shop from 1971 till 2002. For a hobby I built Muzzle loading firearms since I was 16 years old. For the last 9 years Engraving firearms [ master engraver FEGA]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Printing co. making cigarette packs for American Tobacco. Worked at a Texaco service station. Duke Power several years. TV station film editor 3 years. Then 29 years in law enforcement. Retired almost 16 years. Still trying to slow down.[8D]
  • Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started out working in gas stations (when they still had full service and actually worked on cars). Worked in the tide flats of Tacoma working in Machine shops and manufacturing plants. Joined the Navy and 20 years later retired as a "fresh-air" snipe (MR for the USN folks out here that know that rate). Got hired in with the shipyard (PSNS). Been here coming up on 15 years. Been throwing wrenches and hammers around for about all of my post-potty-trained life. Starting to get long in the tooth, but still getting up at 0330 every morning.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was working as a concrete finisher and worked building a DuPont plant. When I was laid off I put in an application for production on the plant. I got hired and worked 37 years , first as a control lab technician then in the power house until the plant shut down.

I was working the last day it ran and got to shut off the power. Got to help build it, then got to shut it down.

When I was laid off I got a job as a boiler operator for the State of Kansas. Kind of like watching a tea kettle work. 44 years working, I'm now not looking.[:D]
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    I have been asked this so many times
    I will not tell you unless u guess it

I work 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and I'm working now.

Best wrong answer I got so far--wallie your a minister
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked the family farm growing up. Went to school for engineering and went to work for Bendix corp. as a CNC machinest then instructor/trainer of CNC machines and robotics for 15 years. I was a vol. fire man and paramedic for 20 years before moving from upstate NY to Florida. In Florida I ran senior resorts for 7 years before I went to Walt Disney World as CNC machinest for 3 years. I took a promotion to work in The Magic Kingdom at space mountain for 12 years building all the wheels, brakes, and gearboxes for the roller coaster ride. I still work for Walt Disney World but now I'm in the tunnel in my own little room off of the machine shop rebuilding all the acuators that make all the animation move.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallie
    I have been asked this so many times
    I will not tell you unless u guess it

I work 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and I'm working now.

Best wrong answer I got so far--wallie your a minister
    I'll guess active duty military. 24/7/365 on duty.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had four overlapping careers.

Fighter pilot/Forward Air Controller, jet instructor and then Public Affairs Officer totaling 23 years in AF Reserve.

Media spokesman and launch commentator for NASA, then Thiokol aerospace. 15 years

Ran a custom earplug business for shooters and industrial clients. 15 years

Was a shooting (reloading) writer and novelist. 25 years

And, for a paid hobby, did character voices for radio commercials.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wallie you are a pain in the butt.[}:)]

My first job was for the local Coke bottler, cleaning the cigar and cigarette butts and other stuff out of bottles so they could be re-used. Sold news papers downtown, stacked pipe at a plumbing supply place, worked as an artists model, ran an addressograph machine printing bag labels for a seed improvement association, worked as a psychiatric tech, cooked at a place called the Heidelberg, a college bar, worked as a painter, lab tech in a college bio department, worked for the St. Louis Zoo for 6.5 years zoo keeper to senior zoo keeper, 31 years zoo curator of herpetology and entomology. Now working my way down the honey-do list to the very bottom where fishing starts. I also hang out with Wundudnee and Matwor and Jim Stark at random gun shows.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Called a plumber to fix a pipe that had broken and THE BILL WAS HUGE,, told the guy Doctors don't charge this much and he replied
    I know, used to be one.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop

Called a plumber to fix a pipe that had broken and THE BILL WAS HUGE,, told the guy Doctors don't charge this much and he replied
    I know, used to be one.

The big difference is that when I'm done working for you, I have made something better. When I leave, the water is back on and something broken is now operating. Doctors can't always do that.[:D]
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started working in my dad's store (pharmacy at 10, 2 hrs after school), moved to putting up hay/milking cows, etc on every farm in the area, gas station attendant, orange packing plant on midnight shift while in school, small restaurant manager, golf course maintenance guy, police officer finishing that career as a SWAT Sgt with a bunch of holes in me I wasn't born with, now director of court security in the county with a lawn service and snow plowing gig on the side taking up every waking hour I'm not at my regular job.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Container Crane Department Supervisor/Engineer for Sea-Land (International Shipping Corporation).
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a slow start.

Photographer
    Life Insurance agent
    Allis Chalmers de-greaser
    College prof: Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon, CT
    Financial Strategist/pension contract designer-Aetna
    ( created first billion dollar derivative- was hedge on CPI )
    Started Apple II based software company to analyze mortgage backed securities for many Wall Street firms. Outshoot was reduction in home mortgage costs. Sold out to Thompson Reuters in 1989.

Was paid to vanish.

Vanished almost 28 years now.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Senior Dealer Account Executive for Chrysler Financial Corporation for over 20 years and a Dodge dealer after that.
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    23 years in US Army and Army Reserve. Retired as General Manager of a commercial wood door manufacturing company. I am now a walleye fisherman and hunt ruffed grouse and whitetail deer.[:)]
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grew up working the family farm ,continued in the commercial poultry dustry raising fryers for 30 years . Did electrical work water well drilling and mechanics during my teen and college years. Worked at a state run mental hospital for 32 years as a psych technician and a staff development trainer. Since retirement ,airplane mechanic,guns store salesman and install and service equipment for the livestock industry .Volunteer fireman for the past 33 years and work at the station 7 or 8 days a month still wondering what this retirement thing everyone talks about is
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40 years of moving & working on Heavy Equipment related to Coal Mining, Road Construction & Logging. Mainly in West Virginia, Virginia & Kentucky. Supposedly as Truck Driver, Crane Operator & 1/2 A** Mechanic. No Wonder I'm Tired.[8D]
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Male model for 'Stud Magazine' ,I do all the hard stuff...