In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Guns at auction

mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
My brother consigned a couple of his firearms to what was suppose to be one of the better auction houses in Vegas.

A Beretta C4 Storm carbine in 9mm , and a 90% S&W Combat Masterpiece pre-Model 18 all matching, no freckling or rust, all numbers matching including the stocks , and excellent mechanics.

The Beretta sold @ $525 and the S&W @ $350 ![xx(]

Why can't I find an auction like that ?? Now take 25% auction fees off that yet and how could anybody be happy selling through them.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine runs an auction business here in Ca. I think his fee is 20%. What you are paying for is the convenience of having them conduct the auction, handle the paperwork and deliver the item to the new owner. My friend will also go to the sellers home and pickup items for sale.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I should have been clearer on the point I was trying to make.

The percentage that the auctioneer takes is not the high point of what I was trying to present. The point was the selling price. Particularly the selling price of that S&W pre-model 18 which I would have thought it to bring twice what it did. $350 for it to me seems ludicrous, and I would have gladly paid $500 for it. I guess Nevada isn't the place to sell nice S&W revolvers. [:(] I am just sorta pissed it went that cheap and venting a little. I'll get over it. Not sure my brother will.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He should sell here at GB. Better exposure brings better bidding.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who purchased the guns?

Did they "know" someone at the auction house? [;)]
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He should have sent them to Locust Fork.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    He should sell here at GB. Better exposure brings better bidding.

If there is only one interested party, it'll always go cheap.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do consignments! (Pre 18 I recently sold)

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/742856665

.....and I charge 10%.....just sayin' [:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pre18 went to cheap, but any given day is what matters. I can tell you I have sold some things here CHEAP, and some really good. Nature of auctions, imo.
    20% is to much for firearms. Our locals do firearms for 10% just saying.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Finish is paramount. Prices gleaned for your brother reflect description you posted. He did well.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I attend a local gun auction that is held twice a year. It is just across the state line from NC to Ga. The next auction happens to be this month. I review the items, pick out what I am interested in and assess a fair price for my maximum bid. I then take the 15% buyers premium and 7% Ga sales tax for a total of 22%, and deduct that from what my maximum bid will be.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My FFL charges 10% on firearms I bring in to sell.