In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man takes AK-47 to courthouse and opens fire

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Disclaimer: The guy gets shot and killed at the end.

I was pretty amazed by this video. One man vs. the entire out-gunned police force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw-c5FbXsw0&mode=related&search=

Anybody know where this happened?

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know how long ago that happened? I never heard about it.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Never heard of this before.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Aired February 25, 2005
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0502/25/ltm.01.html
    quote:O'BRIEN: The alleged gunman, David Hernandez Arroyo, Sr., wounded four others, including his son and a police officer. Police pursued Arroyo, later killed him in a gun battle.

I spoke this morning with Gillian Sheridan. She's an anchor for Tyler affiliate KLTV, who was at a hair salon at the time and witnessed the rampage.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

GILLIAN SHERIDAN, WITNESS TO SHOOTINGS: The salon is just right off this corner here of the courthouse, and we heard the pop, pop, pops. All turned around, ran to the window and saw the suspect, David Arroyo, shooting a deputy, his wife and then the son, and then an innocent bystander that was actually trying to intervene. We saw him reload his AK-47, and he was just continually relentlessly firing.

IIRC
    The "innocent bystander" was a TX CHL holder who engaged the gunman, saving the one guys life, getting shot himself.
    Son
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing that on the news...you just never know when something like this will happen. And a courthouse is one of the places most civilians are screwed b/c there is no CC in federal buildings.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do retards have to use guns when they commit crimes? Why can't they use a chainsaw or a butcher knife?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats why every patrol car should be equipped with an AR.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is why every United States Citizen should carry a firearm. So they can defend themselves !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Wasn't it Heinlien that wrote a book about a future society where every one went strapped, all the time ??

I think it was about 1957-58, and it was the first time I heard the phrase: "An armed society is a polite society".

Doug
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry. This video is fake.

A courthouse is a gun-free zone. DUH.
  • Options
    peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    This happened near me back in '05, outside the Smith County courthouse (Tyler, Tx), but it isn't the full story.

This video completely ignores the actions of CHL holder and local resident Mark Wilson who confronted the bad guy after he'd exchanged fire with the officers by the xourthouse doors. Wilson put several good center of mass torso hits on him with a .45 ACP, but the guy was wearing two sets of body armor and was able to return fire with his MAK90. Wilson was struck several times and died at the scene. In this video, the body shown lying in the street is Mr. Wilson.

After taking hits the bad guy decided to depart the area in his vehicle, which was later found to contain more firearms and ammunition.

Wilson has been publicly credited with saving the lives of an untold number of people by his actions. A plaque honoring him has been placed on the courthouse square and the Texas House of Representaives passed a resolution honoring him for his actions.

The text of HR740 can be found here: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/79R/billtext/html/HR00740F.htm.

My hat's off to several who were there that day, but especially to Mark Wilson. There was no requirement for Wilson to insert himself in this situation, but he apparently saw it as a duty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    Thats why every patrol car should be equipped with an AR.

There are lots of people that will argue that they don't need machine guns. This is a very good reason why they do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    That is why every United States Citizen should carry a firearm. So they can defend themselves !

This is a very good point. Not everyone, but very many would be good. This is also why I have one on me or very near almost all of the time.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Notice how riding outside the Vehicle cost the officer valuable seconds when the Suspect was finally in sight?
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    The cop who rammed him was a brave SOB. So was the citizen with the permit.

Nice head shot.

Goodbye $h*thead!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    The cop who rammed him was a brave SOB.

Nice head shot.

Goodbye $h*thead!Agreed.

If you look closely, I think you can see the deputy throw his copy of the department policy manual out the window as he blows past the other pursuing units. [:D] It was one of those situations where you're gonna be either fired or decorated. No middle ground.

A little detail-That final round actually struck the left rear cab area of the truck and passed through before striking him in the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    Notice how riding outside the Vehicle cost the officer valuable seconds when the Suspect was finally in sight?The video doesn't address this, but the information available at the time indicated the shooter was moving around the immediate area on foot and Jacks chose to ride on the hood for speed of deployment. He said they expected to suddenly confront him within a block or so and he felt that valuable seconds would've been wasted deploying from inside the car with his rifle.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think that was a combination of actual footage, and some recreation
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    i think that was a combination of actual footage, and some recreationExcept for the obvious post-incident interviews, it's all the real deal. No re-enactment here.

News crews happened to be in the area for other things and caught things as they unfolded. This footage is from CourtTV. There's quite bit more that hasn't made it to YouTube but is routinely shown in training.
  • Options
    frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who doesn't love a happy ending?