In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cop - shot in the heart captures assailant

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited December 2005 in General Discussion
May he rest in peace

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10247381/

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Comments

• Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    RIP

Unfortunately, a tactical mistake was made. Not a judgement, just an observation. [V]

quote:the police car pulled alongside the other vehicle on its passenger side. That's when the driver leaned over and began shooting, police said.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...It makes me ill when any LEO is shot. They are all heroes.

...Have you noticed how many of the fatal shots "entered under the armpit"? Brian Jackson the Dallas officer who was shot and killed a couple of wks. ago, he was hit "under the armpit".

If my memory does not fail me,which it does a lot, isn't there some new ballistic fabrics out there now that could mitigate the penetration or stop the round? Could this fabric be used in the armpit area of the vest? A fabric might be flexible enough to be used in this area and offer protection where there is none now.

...Anybody know about this fabric, or if it feasable?...[?]

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

...Have you noticed how many of the fatal shots "entered under the armpit"? Brian Jackson the Dallas officer who was shot and killed a couple of wks. ago, he was hit "under the armpit".

If my memory does not fail me,which it does a lot, isn't there some new ballistic fabrics out there now that could mitigate the penetration or stop the round? Could this fabric be used in the armpit area of the vest? A fabric might be flexible enough to be used in this area and offer protection where there is none now.

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"

I have also noted a number of military and law enforcment personell killed with shots to armpit while wearing vest. You have to wear the vest and it has to have armholes in it to get it on. This leaves unprotected area under the arm/shoulder just inches from the heart.

I think the bullet that hit President Reagan in the heart also entered through the armpit.
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

The problem is the human body. The arm must extend out of the torso so it leaves an opening for the badguys to aim at. When the officer drove up beside the suspect with his hands on the wheel it left an unprotected side shot into his body open to the shooter. Vests are wonderfull but untill they figure out some way to weave a bulletproof bodystocking or lonsleeved turtleneck that can flex and cover these areas, we will keep hearing about these terrible incidents where the shot goes under the arm or into the throat of the officers.

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    Bolivers WifeBolivers Wife Member Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    merry f'in christmas them b*stards should be shot....that familiy has got to be ill right now I now that I would be beyond upset if that were my hubby

Melly

"STUPID PEOPLE MAKE MY BRAIN SAD"
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    So tactics would dictate presenting the enemy with your thickest armor whenever possible, and not present an easy flank target. Geez starting to soudn like I'm talking tank tactics again!

00023904.jpg
    "DEATH BEFORE DISMOUNT!!"
    00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif
    "It's all about shot placement..."
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    My cousin (actually my cousins cousin, but we all grew up together) was a LEO that was killed last year. http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17416
    The write-up is a little off, when he saw the gun he turned to dive for cover and thats when the man shot him (under the arm), the second shot (in the back) was after he fell face down in the grass, probably already dead.[V] He was wearing a vest.
    Nunn, you probably heard about this shooting, you don't live too far away. He started his career in Lufkin.

Its been a REALLY hard time for his parents and his wife, and I'm sure this time of year is even worse. We all miss him terribly, but know without a doubt that he's in a better place. RIP Trey!

Ben

"It is wise not to argue with an idiot, others may not be able to tell the difference."
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Once a bullet gets in amongst the ribs it can bounce off one or two in any direction.