In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

is there a proper way

jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
to dispose of a bible. as a construction worker i find many things along the hiway. this morning i found a bible that had been rained upon and torn very bad, i guess that someone had laid it on the roof of their car and forgot it when they left church

Comments

• Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Yes.

Put it in a hotel room.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a free giveaway on GB. You are bound to be flooded with responses....[:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Well jwb-you know what they say ???

quote:Originally posted by jwb267
    to dispose of a bible. as a construction worker i find many things along the hiway. this morning i found a bible that had been rained upon and torn very bad, i guess that someone had laid it on the roof of their car and forgot it when they left church

--Keep it, there's a reason for your discovery !!

--JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    I don't think that disposing of it is the proper course of action. Maybe you could drop it off at your local church? Someone would likely appreciate it (especially the "big man" upstairs). [;)]

Jim

the bible is in two parts with many pages missing and the ones that are there are stuck together
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    there must be some readable pages. Close your eyes, open it and point your finger to a verse. Read it, heed it, and pass it to someone else to do the same.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spryor
    there must be some readable pages. Close your eyes, open it and point your finger to a verse. Read it, heed it, and pass it to someone else to do the same.[:)]

i have did so, but no one else wants anything to do with it
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    You are getting a message, my friend.

Doug
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,699 ******
    edited November -1
    It's called "Divine Intervention."
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    give it to someone else and run away
  • Options
    edited November -1
    maybe i am old fashion, but i respect the bible as much as i do the flag of the US. i just cant seem to throw it in the trash or burn it with garbage
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Leave it on someones porch, or desk...
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Pages stuck together?? C'mon...'fess up. You found a Playboy. Joe
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jwb267, I've never seen this question come up before and you had me totally stumped. I was curious what the answer was too, so I decided to do some internet research and I would post a link for you. Well, evidently there is no generally accepted "proper" or "correct" way to dispose of a Bible.

I found a few suggestions from people who are supposed to know this kind of stuff. The one I liked best was to wrap the bible or put it in a box and burry it.

If you're not in a hurry to dispose of it, I'll ask my preacher Wednesday night. He may not know either, since none of the internet Divinity experts know.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flush it down the toilet. It was good enough for the Koran in Gitmo[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Really though, how many have just thrown a bible away? EVEN those little pocket ones count as a bible, right?? Nobody just wants to admit it.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proper Bible disposal
    Consider a burial, complete with liturgy

What's the proper way to dispose of unusable Bibles?

Oh, how I wish this were a problem for us. We have too many Bibles in wonderful mint condition.

Dispose of it as you would any other book. Recycle the paper if you can. It's how the Bible is used and treated when it is working that matters most.

But in this disposable world where everything is printed, used, recycled or trashed and there is little of the sense of the sacred and holy around us, here's another suggestion of how to treat these old servants of God: Follow the practice of our Jewish friends.

When Hebrew scrolls of the Scripture that contain the written sacred name of God are no longer usable, they are gathered, placed in a coffin and buried in a cemetery with a liturgy of committal. Why not take a Bible that has become unusable, wrap it in a protective cover and bury it with an appropriate liturgy of committal? Don't burn old Bibles because in our day this would signal just the opposite of what we want to say about the Bible.

http://www.thelutheran.org/article/article_buy.cfm?article_id=4106
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mail it to me and I'll bury it with respect under the watchful eyes of this Mary statue that my boys recovered from a ditch where someone discarded it. I'm not Catholic, but anything helps these days. The statue stands proudly in my pasture/ park facing east.

IM001327.jpg
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Sarge - not a religous guy, but that pic is *very* neat...
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the bible as an object is infused with any special meaning. What you do to a bible has only as much meaning as you consciously give the act. I'd put it in a recycle bin.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Mail it to Iran.
    [:D]