In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old car myths

2»

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883
    It really pisses me off that cars don't have bench seats and the automatic shift lever on the column where it belongs. I even liked 3 on the tree!

And while we are at it put the damn dimmer switch back on the floor.

The first car I had with the dimmer on the steering column, I kept getting my foot caught in the steering wheel!
    And bring back vent windows that open out.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not convinced about the better gas mileage.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    By the way, Ford Motor Company made seat belts an "extra cost option" on their 1956 line, and on Ford labeled cars, also a padded dash and dished steering wheel.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Driving down a snowy hill in my '72 Torino, I lost it. True, were it a front wheel drive, I might not have. I proceeded to fishtail around, hit the opposite side guardrail with the passenger's side, then I overcompensated and fishtailed back, sliding along the guardrail on the side of the road I originally started on, passenger's side again, til I finally came to a stop.
    Not even any chrome damage.....

Later, I was driving to classes in town, guy did a right-on-red into my front passenger's side fender.
    Not a scratch.....

Were I to do either today in my 1999 Chevy Prizm, we're talking thousands of dollars in repairs. Couple of hoodlums stole the Chevy one night a few years ago, took her joyriding. Got her back, insurance took care of the bodywork and glass, but the frame's never been the same since. Not to mention I have one door that works on the outside and inside (driver's door and rear passenger's door opens on the outside, but the inside latch is broken (plastic interior latch), rear driver's side does not open at all). Fan has one speed, full blast. Interior air directional control has one adjustment setting, defrost. Plastic knobs that broke.
    Apart from that, the radio/cd player works great....
    Torino was purchased after my divorce by my ex-father-in-law's brother. She's still on the road, and I frequently get bitterweet reminders from my father-in-law about how his brother loves the car and what a great car it is. It's nice to know she is being loved and well-cared for.....
    I'm trying to get weekend visitation.
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved the class and style the 50's and 60's cars and trucks had. Take a look at a Nascar race today, without looking at the manufactures emblem you can't tell the cars apart. I like the current tire technology, and the electronic ignition systems. I could live happily ever after with a good carb. Dave
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would take 3 new ones right now of this model....memories[:D][8D][^]
    [img][/img]HPIM1088.jpg
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

I certainly would not like to return to the days when highways were two lanes, not divided, and went through the middle of every little town along the way. The mother road is a nice legend, but actually driving 66 and other highways in those years was less fun than watching the tv show.

The problem now is that every town or city is just like every other one. From the time I was about seven til I finished high school (1958)my folks visited almost every State & several Provinces of Canada.
    Every town held new delights. It was even hard to order pancakes since they had a different name for them just about everywhere you went.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    jonk ... you missed the point ... entirely.[:0][:0][:0]

WE WERE 16-18 YEARS OLD, MY FRIEND!

Junkyards abounded in those days - parts almost FREE -
    sometimes they WERE![;)][}:)][;)]

Points cost about $1.50 - plugs about 40?/ea. You
    TUNED YOUR OWN cars - you'd NEVER have a shop
    do it!

Time was NEVER a problem when you were that young!

Cars were FUN to work on!

Cars were SIMPLE to work on!

Gas cost us about 30? a Gal.!

The 'cheerleaders type gals' absolutely LOVED a big V8 with cutouts!

Those cars had BIG back seats![}:)]

Cops, generally, liked teenagers!

You could go out of town (about a five minute ride) after the Drive-In's
    last of a DOUBLE FEATURE show and race to your heart's content. ...
    and NEVER see another car/cop!

... no, my friend, it's YOU YOUNGER GUYS who have MISSED OUT!

I feel sorry for YOU!

Yep.
    BTW jonk, I had a '69 SS Chevelle once. Only one I ever saw with a bench seat and auto on the column.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimbowby
    [8D]-In my jounger years (70's) I pulled the 351 Windsor out of my Pantera and replaced it with this Modified Cleveland--

scan0001uk5.jpg

--those days it was fairly cheap and easy to do it--not now--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO

[8D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

Tune-up consisted of replacing points, plugs, rotor and cap, with new plug wires every other tune up. Adjust the carb, check the timing and set the dwell on the points. Tune-up parts cost around $10.00.

Uuuuh Doug. You forgot the condenser. [}:)]

Back in my teenage brokeazz days I thought anyone who changed out a full set of plug wires was wastefull. Filed the points before giving up on them too.
    On the carbs (like Rochester B's) you could cut a replacement acelerator pump diaphram out of your shoe tongue! Or jump a battery with one wire (by touching bumpers)
    Grandpa had an old T model that he would pull a tire and use a spare wheel as a winch.
    Hell I know one guy who blew a hole in a piston on one of those old stovebolt 6's removed it and drove a fence post into the cylinder and drove it that way.
    Try that on ya lexus. [:)]

Allen
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Here's a pic of my 20 year love affair!

'70 FJ40 350 [8D]
    toy-1.jpg