In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Washing Machine ???

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
New washer makes an intermittent bang or thud noise 6 or 7 times during wash cycle....It is one of those high efficiency kind they have now...Does that sound normal ???[:0]

Comments

• Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought I told you that your boots are not machine washable [:0]
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't put your kid in there next time.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is the cat?
  • Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, a series of clunks and bangs during a cycle. thats been our experiance, my wife wanted a new washer and dryer ,so we spent the money and bought a pair of kenmore. that has been the worst money we have spent. we live on a farm and that water saver would not clean the dirt outa our clothes!!! we put them on {elsewhere} and took a solid hit in less than a year old. found out that we could have our old machines completely rebuilt at a very reasonable charge. so now have new old washer/dryer and things are finally back to normal.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That doesnt sound good.Bought new set 2 years ago an both are dead. started the banging an then finally quit. went back to buying used ones last longer. Just find some one moving or going into nursing home.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe just the load out of balance ?

we bought a new one about two years ago the " new improved no agitator use less water models go green ? versions )
    wife and I gave it a chance but decided screw it we tried all the settings different detergents still had to wash some ites several times to get clean . ( not greasy work on my car type dirty just average in the yard dirty )
    any way she went out a few months ago found a basic older style no frills and we changed it out so far all is good [^]
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When ours needed to be replaced we went back with old school plain jane washer and dryer .Too many horrors stories about all the new fancy stuff to suit me
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dryer was old when I bought it in 1990. The Washer I purchased new that same year. The enamel on the tub is starting to wear thin and if you let things sit too long lighter fabrics can get a rust stain... Is it possible to re-enamel the tub? The available replacement part appears to be plastic...
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    My dryer was old when I bought it in 1990. The Washer I purchased new that same year. The enamel on the tub is starting to wear thin and if you let things sit too long lighter fabrics can get a rust stain... Is it possible to re-enamel the tub? The available replacement part appears to be plastic...

As I tell all my clients, anything can be done, how much money do you have to throw at it.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1

Sand all the rust off, clean it with MEK or something like, and use an epoxy enamel paint, it should last a few more years.
    If it's porcelain there are filler kits available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin

As I tell all my clients, anything can be done, how much money do you have to throw at it.
    A new replacement tub is $150 (probably plastic) I'd love to find a stainless tub from a similar model from salvage that fits. I replaced the motor a few years ago and got a new old stock transmission from a place going out of business when it appeared that was going south, but 5 years later it is still going strong...

(I'm a mechanical engineer by trade.. I have no problem tearing things down to components and building them back again. Everyone I know that has the "new" machines hates them.

I also scored a set of almost identical to mine but electric dryer for free (ie pickup) from some friends of ours. Those are on loan to my oldest daughter while she is in school. Once I am done paying for college I will have a home for them at a mountain or lake cabin. The people I got them from are now on their 3rd set of "new" units. (He still reminds her that the old units are still working just fine) [:D]
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoulda bought a Speed Queen.......
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila bought a pair of stackable Bosch stainless Steel washer and dryer and had them installed in the / at one end of the open concept kitchen when she bought the house and redid things

On the end of the kitchen that connects to the living room

They mint condition but 12 year old GE white washer dryer set moved down to the half basement and got hooked up with a plastic large basin wash sink between them in the basement

She put mostly Bosch stainless appliances in the kitchen - pricey and not carried everywhere and apparently very popular in Europe and south America but top quality I hear

I convinced her to save the GE white refrigerator and dishwasher and freezer chest and wine fridge replaced during the rehab and they as well we're transferred to the basement...

All were 12 years old and white and GE and had been put in by the previous owner and we're in perfect shape

Makes for a nice little back up set in the basement - a neat compact installation - don't get used much but would have been a shame to waste

I do pretty much all the laundry - I know it's odd but I like doing laundry I find it relaxing and stress relieving

The all white GE appliances were as I said bought new approx a dozen years ago and are standard size and standard models - and meticulously cared for by the former owner who was an engineer of some sort

The GE washer and dryer are simple and nice and work well and may last forever - the Bosch are top notch and have a forever warranty - I don't know if Bosch makes them or has someone else make them and puts their brand name on them

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Makaila bought a pair of stackable Bosch stainless Steel washer and dryer and had them installed in the / at one end of the open concept kitchen when she bought the house and redid things

On the end of the kitchen that connects to the living room

They mint condition but 12 year old GE white washer dryer set moved down to the half basement and got hooked up with a plastic large basin wash sink between them in the basement

She put mostly Bosch stainless appliances in the kitchen - pricey and not carried everywhere and apparently very popular in Europe and south America but top quality I hear

I convinced her to save the GE white refrigerator and dishwasher and freezer chest and wine fridge replaced during the rehab and they as well we're transferred to the basement...

All were 12 years old and white and GE and had been put in by the previous owner and we're in perfect shape

Makes for a nice little back up set in the basement - a neat compact installation - don't get used much but would have been a shame to waste

I do pretty much all the laundry - I know it's odd but I like doing laundry I find it relaxing and stress relieving

The all white GE appliances were as I said bought new approx a dozen years ago and are standard size and standard models - and meticulously cared for by the former owner who was an engineer of some sort

The GE washer and dryer are simple and nice and work well and may last forever - the Bosch are top notch and have a forever warranty - I don't know if Bosch makes them or has someone else make them and puts their brand name on them

Mike

Bosch may tell you they have a forever warranty... Good luck getting them to fix anything.... I bought one at my last house. It was nice, but when it needed attention Hans was nowhere to be found...