In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

about that ape

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
no not that one, the one in Ohio

i cant help but wonder was there not a man in the crowd that would have risked his life by jumping in even to distract it, there was a few moments when the kid entered ?

sure i doubt there is a man alive that would be even close to a match, but damn

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bonzo should have done it!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The kids father should have.

That's what parents do.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    The kids father should have.

That's what parents do.

Kinda what I was thinking.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe the Goroller was the kids father,and he was going for the week end?[:o)]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Shoulda coulda woulda.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apes are said to be more than 5 times as powerful as a man. I would bet they are even stronger than that.

The problem jumping in there to get the kid might have made things even worse. The ape had the kid and as far as he was concerned the kid was his and he might have grabbed the kid by the neck or a leg and start climbing with him to keep someone from getting to him. Or he might have just got pissed off and killed the kid and whoever jumped in to save him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Really,we shouldn't have apes in Zoos....No different than being in prison..[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Apes are said to be more than 5 times as powerful as a man. I would bet they are even stronger than that.

The problem jumping in there to get the kid might have made things even worse. The ape had the kid and as far as he was concerned the kid was his and he might have grabbed the kid by the neck or a leg and start climbing with him to keep someone from getting to him. Or he might have just got pissed off and killed the kid and whoever jumped in to save him.

true but if you watched more than one video there was moments at first the gorilla and kid was just standing there trying to figure out what the heck was happening
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This discussion naturally begs the question - if you're there and are carrying, do you jump in and handle the situation, or wait for the team to show up with a rifle?

Hopefully it's not the day you decided to carry the little .380 [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No one even tried tossing a basketball in there.[}:)]
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Really,we shouldn't have apes in Zoos....No different than being in prison..[xx(]

As I understand it, most of the apes in captivity were born in captivity. It's sad to say, but they don't know about life outside an enclosure.
    It's man's greed that slaughters them in the wild where they belong.
    It's man's arrogance that maintains their numbers in captivity and puts them on display.
    Do we let their species vanish, or do we keep the last of them imprisoned in ignorant bliss?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    No one even tried tossing a basketball in there.[}:)]
    A hub cap or percoset.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    This discussion naturally begs the question - if you're there and are carrying, do you jump in and handle the situation, or wait for the team to show up with a rifle?

most zoo's are a no ccw , Cincinnati zoo is one of them

kind of extremely stupid if you ask me
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    quote:Originally posted by DBV

most zoo's are a no ccw , Cincinnati zoo is one of them

kind of extremely stupid if you ask me
    I don't want to go to a zoo where the gorilla is packing.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live about 90 or so miles away ( north ) local news reported a local lady tried to help and others " watched " here is a link with the stories , she said she tried to grab the kid but it was too late
    http://www.whio.com/news/news/national/witness-tried-to-grab-boy-before-he-fell-into-gori/nrW6K/
    with out being there its had to say , I think I would have jumped in if my kid and at least die trying to save him . the thought of watching my kid get killed would haunt me forever when all I did was watch
    it did say some one was yelling mom loves you

I hate the thought of the Gorilla being killed but they had little choice . the parent(s) should be held accountable but dollars to doughnuts they will sue the Zoo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    I live about 90 or so miles away ( north ) local news reported a local lady tried to help and others " watched " here is a link with the stories , she said she tried to grab the kid but it was too late
    http://www.whio.com/news/news/national/witness-tried-to-grab-boy-before-he-fell-into-gori/nrW6K/
    with out being there its had to say , I think I would have jumped in if my kid and at least die trying to save him . the thought of watching my kid get killed would haunt me forever when all I did was watch
    it did say some one was yelling mom loves you

I hate the thought of the Gorilla being killed but they had little choice . the parent(s) should be held accountable but dollars to doughnuts they will sue the Zoo

I read the parents had four other kids. I wondered if they had an insurance policy on this kid?
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Years ago we had an animal park a few towns over
    (Benson's animal park---now houses).
    They had a gorilla that sometimes would stretch
    a hanging truck tire out of shape...amazingly
    strong. A loose pizzed off ape would be have to be
    neutralized.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    no not that one, the one in Ohio

i cant help but wonder was there not a man in the crowd that would have risked his life by jumping in even to distract it, there was a few moments when the kid entered ?

sure i doubt there is a man alive that would be even close to a match, but damn

There is a huge difference between taking a probably lethal risk and certain death. A silver back Gorilla would kill any human man in about 5 seconds and go back to what he was doing before he killed the guy.

I saw a Macaque monkey, lightly sedated at the Chicago Center for Craniofacial Anomalies in the old school of dentistry. He was full grown eating banana chunks covered in barium to study the action of swallowing food on fluoroscopic xrays . Although sedated the monkey was trying to break the leather restraints on the chair, they were creaking and stretching a lot. I was told in no uncertain terms if the monkey got loose in that room he could easily kill all five adult male humans present.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The parents should serve serious time for child endangerment and have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the loss of the Gorilla.

Looked to me like the Gorilla was actually being protective of the kid ... and they killed him for his efforts.

Humans suck as a species, not our finest hour for sure.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It is the only hope we have that gorillas as a species will survive into the next century, they will be killed in the wild to extinction.

Whatever had been done otherwise the gorilla would not have understood that a juvenile human did not have the strength to be handled as a juvenile gorilla and the child might have been killed or injured just in being handled like a young gorilla.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,669 ******
    edited November -1
    How can it be physically possible for a child to enter a gorilla cage?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can say that I worked some with chimpanzees in you career, and the strength these apes have far surpass human strength. We have over 99% the same genetics, but there is a huge difference in the less than 1% we do not share.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    The parents should serve serious time for child endangerment and have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the loss of the Gorilla.

Looked to me like the Gorilla was actually being protective of the kid ... and they killed him for his efforts.

Humans suck as a species, not our finest hour for sure.

I agree with your human species comment. From my earliest memories in childhood I have held the belief that, whether you call it evolution or creation or magic, whatever gave rise to humans should have stopped at least one step earlier.[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zoos are actually far safer than amusement parks, water parks or other similar facilities. That said there is simply no way to anticipate and plan for every possible attempt to circumvent security measures. years back I had someone use a cane head to break the glass of a 9 foot forest cobra enclosure. I was able to clear the building and secure the animal. What do you do next, install bullet resistant glass on every exhibit?

You cannot stop the guy who has decided to commit suicide by polar bear, short of putting everything behind thick glass.

Apparently this child got through some kind of fencing and fell 9 or 10 feet into the moat where it was grabbed by the gorilla. Even if the gorilla was attempting to protect the child, the child might not have survived the protection.

No way I can second guess the decisions made, I was not there on the ground. I suspect the parents will need no reminders that they could have been more attentive.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

and that one really dinndonuffn