In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I am drinking another beer

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Went out in the garage and hit the button for the garage door. It went up about 3/4 way and BOOOOM... door is crooked, hung up. I pulled the disconnect to move it manual. One of the greased rollers left the track and the door continued. Then the wires that pull it up come unwound on one side. Looks like a bait cast reel with backlash. It was repaired with a bad door opener April 20th. Good work Lowes. They are coming back again..

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, steer clear of home improvement centers for doors, just like one would for appliance.

While only have 3 garage doors, I would not consider using anyone but a door shop for repair or replacement. Think about it giving way as you are taking one of your cars out of the garage.

You did get three good months out of it, so for Lowes, you did not do too bad.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They sub to a garage door company. I told the guy when he was doing it, the rollers didn't look right.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call a garage door company in the first place. A guy that ONLY does garage doors.
    When a spring breaks or a cable flies, it might hit something real important......
    It will cost more, but you can afford it and it's worth it.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    They sub to a garage door company. I told the guy when he was doing it, the rollers didn't look right.

Locally, they sub to a contractor who 'has experience'.

If a garage door company truck arrives, you should be in good shape.

Good luck.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No black magic in garage door openers. Most people can do it themselves. Just take your time and follow the directions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    No black magic in garage door openers. Most people can do it themselves. Just take your time and follow the directions.

You are right. Only a few folks killed by those big springs that hang over the door. Mine come unwound on the wires that operate the door.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have that beer and consider it///
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Have that beer and consider it///

Hey.. watch this..
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave the door for the pros, many people have lost fingers on those.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Select Fire is right. I used to do all this work myself until rushing a job awhile back the spud wrench I was using to hold the coiled spring back flew past my head and lodged in a wall 20' behind me. Now I always phone my friendly O.H. Door guy. Be carful out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Warranty work. They installed it they will repair it.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

the opener itself yes, the torsion springs? No way in hell. Last time mine broke it sounded like a rifle shot. Luckily none of the shrapnel hit anyone or any of the vehicles. I replaced the chain drive opener at this house a few years ago with a Chamberlain Jackshaft opener. It is the quietest smoothest opener I have ever seen. Bonus, since the motor is DC you can get a battery backup for it so the door can open when the power it out. Plus it gets rid of all the crap hanging in the middle of the garage. The opener bolted onto the shaft then screwed to the wall. It took me longer to tear out the old one than to mount the new one.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

the opener itself yes, the torsion springs? No way in hell. Last time mine broke it sounded like a rifle shot. Luckily none of the shrapnel hit anyone or any of the vehicles. I replaced the chain drive opener at this house a few years ago with a Chamberlain Jackshaft opener. It is the quietest smoothest opener I have ever seen. Bonus, since the motor is DC you can get a battery backup for it so the door can open when the power it out. Plus it gets rid of all the crap hanging in the middle of the garage. The opener bolted onto the shaft then screwed to the wall. It took me longer to tear out the old one than to mount the new one.

+100 Capt. The simple "inclined plane" of a screw does the work with minimal force and energy expended.
    A quick look at very large commercial aircraft shows it's the favored way of moving * and horizontal stabilizers.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

+100 Capt. The simple "inclined plane" of a screw does the work with minimal force and energy expended.
    A quick look at very large commercial aircraft shows it's the favored way of moving * and horizontal stabilizers.

This is a jackshaft, not a screw drive. This unit mounts on the front wall to the left of the door and couples to the shaft with the springs. Also not seen in this picture is the deadbolt. When the door is closed it throws a deadbolt through the track to keep the wheels from moving. Thje little black thing you see is a tension switch so the drive keeps the right amount of tension on the support wires.

walljackshaft.JPG