In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cental vacums

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
anyone have one installed in thire home ?

My wife is wanting me to put one in the house while iv got it ripped apart [B)]

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I've lived in homes with them installed. OK idea - easy to move the hose and easy to run the unit. Keeps the stink out of the living area. Puts the dust and stink wherever the Motor/Filter is. Occasionally got something stuck somewhere in the piping - was a pain to find/eliminate. Worked OK. Not sure I liked the expense. Notsure it developed the same suction as the Electroluxes I am used to. Have had them in my life since birth. Now nearly 60 years later, still Electrolux is best. They might make a Built-in, come to think of it.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Not a great idea. Hard to keep clean. Still have to lug around and find a place to store the hoses.

Everyone that I know that has gotten one got it with their new houses and every one of them has abandoned the systems and gone back to conventional vaccumes.

Just buy a nice Dyson and be done with it.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Never used one, but I saw a feature on one that was pretty nice. In the kitchen, it had a small door the width of a broom on the baseboard, to open and sweep stuff into. Good replacement for a dust pan. Something to think about if you decide to put one in.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife doesn't use ours she had to have it.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a top of the line central vac and the wife went back to the old upright. They are not what they are cracked up to be yet.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Install all hardwood flooring & you won't need it.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we put one in when we built along with hardwood floors. (a dog and two cats) works very well. Also installed 2 "stations" (one in the computer room and another in the kitchen) were you can turn it on and sweep the dirt right into it in the low area under cabinets (kick panel?). Use a conventional vacume for the rooms with carpet. Wasn't satisfied with how the "power head" worked on the carpet.
  • Options
    farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had one, and my wife has insisted that we NOT have one. She has a funny story from when she was about 20. She and some friends were partying at a friend's house whilst the parents were away. One of the partiers drank too much, got loaded, passed out, got sick and vomited inside the house. The also-loaded host's solution? Get out the central vac and vacuum up the puke. Problem solved, party on!

Until the next day, when the parents kept smelling a horrible odor, and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Eventually, they figured out it was coming from the central vac system. Cleaning out the dirt container helped, but there was, ahem, residue throughout some of the tubes. Not so easy cleaning them out, is it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    we are putting wood floors in all the house but the bathrooms and bedrooms so from what Im reading its might be just a money sucker [B)][:0]
  • Options
    tjh1948tjh1948 Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have had one for about ten (10) years & it works great. A 50' for the garage was little pricey, special order, but it is nice to have.
    The Power Head & hoses are a pain to move from one floor to another if you use them in that manner. I priced & extra Power Head & hose when we purchased the unit & it cost about 1/2 of the whole thing.
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    They really suck.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tazzer,.......personally I would skip it myself. My mother had one in the past. It was used for about the first year.

They are less than great on carpet, and like others have said, dragging the hoses and nozzles around is worse IMHO than just plugging in an upright.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok guys thanks for the info I think I will talk her into saving that chuck of change [:D]
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to come to fla. you can have mine for free. Thats how much I like them.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the kids come in from the back porch and let a cloud of mosquitos in, that built in vac is great for sucking the bugs off the ceiling !!! We use the built in and the Roomba on the hardwoods, but the Dyson DC23 Motorhead handles the carpets.