In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Target to Issue MasterCard chip-and-pin

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
This is for your safety and security to make sure all purchases can be tracked for any and all investigations also! [:D]

serf

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/04/29/target-mastercard-emv-partnership/8453783/

Cards with chip-and-pin technology are considered more secure than the magnetic stripe cards most of us use now because they are embedded with a microchip that generates a different, single-use code to process every transaction you make. That means the card data is practically impossible to counterfeit, because even if the data is hacked, it can't be used again.

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Europe has been on the chip & pin cards for at least 10 years. Far superior to your current credit card.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An RFID chip has to be within an inch or two of the reader. The great thing about the system is that the data is immediately sent to a computer that can do whatever the issuing company wants to do, such as determine the time & place it was last used.

The technology has been used in Europe for many years, but the banks hoped to avoid the expense of issuing them in the US. Last year I tried to get an RFID MasterCard from Capitol One for a European trip last year, but they refused; they said that any MC merchant in Western Europe had to accept my mag strip card.

Target is the first to offer them here, & it was a smart move. I'm sure that other issuers will follow.

Neal
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Amex Blue card has had that for more than 10 years, Somewhere I have a reader for it at the house, but no retail stores access the chip.