In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good Lesson For Gun Dealers

BruzillaBruzilla Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
I went to have my favorite dealer transfer a firearm I bought off GunBroker to me today, and he informed that as of Oct 2, he will no longer be doing transfers. He's done about 10 for me, and a lot for my friends, so I asked why he was quitting and he said he had three amateur dealers send firearms to the mailing address on his FFL instead of the premises address over the past two weeks and he was "tired of dealing with this crap".

Apparently some sellers think you're supposed to ship a firearm to the mailing address on the FFL, but that address is to inform the BATFE where to send correspondence to, not where firearms are supposed to go. The premises address is the dealer's place of business, which is where they are supposed to go. Sometimes they are the same, but when they are different you should ship to the premises address unless a dealer specifically states to use the mailing address.

So what happens when you don't do this? In my guy's case, he would come home and get a notice from the shipper that a package couldn't be delivered, and he would have to make arrangements to pick it up. This guy opened his store at 9:00 and ran it until 7:00, which means he would have to close up, drive 34 miles to his house, wait for the delivery guy, then drive 34 miles back... all in Jacksonville traffic I could understand why he was so pissed about going through all that just because some seller didn't know which address to use.

So please, for the sake of all of us buyers, make sure you ship to the premises address and NOT the mailing address!

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your dealer needs to change his address to where he actually does business. Not much sympathy here.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would only send to the name and address on the FFL. If the dealer wanted me to send to a different address than on FFL, I would not do business with him. He needs to do an address change with the ATF now.

You would be better off finding another FFL.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    I would only send to the name and address on the FFL. If the dealer wanted me to send to a different address than on FFL, I would not do business with him. He needs to do an address change with the ATF now.

You would be better off finding another FFL.

An FFL has 2 separate addresses. One is the premise address, where business is done, and the other is the mailing address. Most of the times they are the same, but they can be different. All guns need to be shipped to the premise address.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your FFL should just let the transfers that go to the wrong address be returned. Problem solved.
  • Options
    neatgunsneatguns Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have received several FFLs with markings on the FFL stating "DO NOT SHIP TO MAILING ADDRESS!" or some such. Some even black out the mailing address. Suggest your FFL try this.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since human error is inevitable it would seem the easiest solution is to change his FFL "mailing" address to be the same as his business address. Problem solved. That way, anything related to doing business as a licensee, whether it be correspondence or firearms, will come to the logical location. [:)]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Sounds like your dealer needs to change his address to where he actually does business. Not much sympathy here.

Yep... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have mail delivered for his gun shop delivered to his house. Or whatever his mailing address is. He needs to list just gun shop as his mailing address for FFL related parcels and letters
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    how would you 'ship' to his premises address via usps if he doesn't receive mail there??
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Your FFL should just let the transfers that go to the wrong address be returned. Problem solved.

[:D][:D][^]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a non-problem, as there are several very simple ways to resolve it. Your FFL sounds like he's just a PIA, and/or not very intelligent,...get a new one.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had an FFL my mailing address was my PO Box. Of course, it was only about 300 yards from my premises. Nice thing was when it arrived at the PO Box I knew it would be secure until I picked it up.
  • Options
    BruzillaBruzilla Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is a mailing address can be a PO Box. A premises address cannot, which is why standard practice is to always ship to the premises address.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like the problem is ALREADY solved the FFL will not be doing anymore transfers. [:D]

I can understand for whatever reason a mailing address versus a Business premise address could have some reason to be different.

And if it isn't allowed or possible to have UPS/FedEX change delivery to the business address may be it is a hassle to have to go pick up item or force return Etc.

But as noted it is already solved he obviously doesn't want or need the transfer business.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have just the opposite problem. I'm in the country and USPS doesn't deliver to me. I clearly state if USPS is used you need to send to the PO Box. Many think they must use the premise address and send it there. After it is returned and they have to pay a second shipping charge they understand.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can actually ship the firearm to any address that is listed on the license.....so, it is the dealer's fault for not crossing out or circling the address to use when sending over his FFL to use for the transfer. He only has himself to blame if he has had problems. When the first gun went to the wrong place he should have known he needed to make changes. It sounds like he is just using that as an excuse and just doesn't want to do transfers.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, if the FFL can't clearly lay out which address to ship to, and he's ok quitting just because of this issue...good idea, Joe, quit!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, an FFL can have firearms shipped to ANY address he wants, whether or not it is listed on his license. He just has to make sure that there is safe & secure storage at the address. ATF recommends that if he is having a large number of firearms shipped to an address not on his license, that he add it.

See FFL Newsletter, September 2013.

Sounds to me like Bruzilla's FFL has a problem communicating with customers.

Neal
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    WTH, why not get mail at the premises?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....could it be a clandestine motive for the address....[:o)]
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local pawn shop was doing transfers for only $10 until an idiot sent a handgun UPS ground to his home address.

I called the shop owner at home on a Sunday evening to let him know a handgun would be sitting on his porch on Monday morning. He was more upset about being called at home on Sunday than the gun being left on his porch.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Sounds like your dealer needs to change his address to where he actually does business. Not much sympathy here."

I've been out of the loop(business) for a decade but was under the impression that the address on the FFL was the ONLY address that numbered items could be shipped to.
  • Options
    ~Mr. Colt .45~~Mr. Colt .45~ Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    You can actually ship the firearm to any address that is listed on the license.....so, it is the dealer's fault for not crossing out or circling the address to use when sending over his FFL to use for the transfer. He only has himself to blame if he has had problems. When the first gun went to the wrong place he should have known he needed to make changes. It sounds like he is just using that as an excuse and just doesn't want to do transfers.

+1
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew Kasey would pipe on this one. [8D]

She is totally correct and the OP's dealer needs to step into the 21st Century and communicate with his customers properly. Put a SHIP HERE----> on the FFL they send to the seller and /or mark out the other one if you do not want it shipped there.

A_failure_to_communicate.jpg?t=1487452938696