In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

34 Retailers Likely to Close This Year

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,227 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
o close or go broke before the end of 2017 Facebook Twitter Share

34 retailers likely to close or go broke before the end of 2017

1:03 p.m Sunday, May 28, 2017 Atlanta News
Facebook Twitter Share 34
NEWS Atlanta Journal Constitution

The bloodbath at retail that?s seen more than 3,600 stores closures announced since January isn?t over yet.

We could reach the 10,000 store-closure mark by the end of the year, according to credit consulting service F&D Reports.

F&D?s research has identified 34 retailers suffering from poor sales and too much overhead that it says will likely announces more store closures en masse or bankruptcy filings before the year is out.

Shopko
National Stores
Forever 21
Charming Charlie
Fresh Market
Bloomin? Brands
Ascena
Tailored Brands
Rent-A-Center
Bravo Brio
Trans World
Fred?s
Rite-Aid
Conn?s
Tuesday Morning
Guitar Center
GNC
Neiman Marcus
Toys R Us
Sears Hometown
J. Crew
Noodles and Co.
Lumber Liquidators
Charlotte Russe
Bon-Ton Stores
Tops Markets
Claire?s
Ruby Tuesday
Sears Holdings
99 Cents Only
Ignite
Perfumania
Le Chateau
Gymboree

It?s not just Amazon killing the brick-and-mortar stores!
We should note that some of the stores listed here ? Sears, Bloomin? Brands and Ruby Tuesday, in particular ? have announced anywhere from dozens to more than 150 store closures this year already.

Meanwhile, it?s been widely reported that others like Gymboree and J. Crew are facing imminent bankruptcy.

Yet in the midst of all the media coverage, one important point is sometimes overlooked: It?s not just Amazon killing off the brick-and-mortars. It?s also that we?re way ?over-stored? in the United States, as money expert Clark Howard would say.

?We have far too many retail locations, shopping centers and branches of different chains,? the consumer champ notes. ?But stores that are meeting your needs with low prices will continue to thrive.?

The sad truth for ailing retailers is that we have 24 square feet of retail space for every person in the United States, according to F&D.

By comparison, Canada ? the next country on the list with the most retail space ? has 16 sq. ft. of retail space per capita.

Australia ? the third most heavily retailed country in the world ? has only 11 sq. ft. That?s less than half the square footage of retail space per capita that we have!

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Survival of the fittest
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did that old song go "Times Are A Changing"
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most all of those are on my list of "hardly if ever shop there" to "never heard of it". Except for a couple or so, won't notice.
    I do like Noodles & Co., but there are far apart in this area. I'd hate to see them go. We really like the food there.
    My wife likes Tuesday Morning, it seems to do well here. They just doubled the size of the store. Most always find something at a bargain there.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    Guitar Center?! oh no! [:0]

that's the only one I care about

They just opened a new superstore in Kennesaw about 8 miles up the same road (Hwy 41) from their existing center. So when I can buy the same tuner from Amazon for $5.95 delivered that they want $12.50 plus tax and gas an my time to get there where am I going to shop?. If however I want to play my guitar on 20 different amps and see which one I like best they are the place to go. (Not that I have anywhere near that skill level, but that is the good thing about their locations...
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    not many on your list That I buy much from
    and none that I can't do without
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only ones on the list close to me are Riteaid,sears and Ruby Tuesday . Never been in the others ,fact is never heard of some of them .Sears started going down hill years ago when they started getting rid of the sporting goods and such .Still use them for some hand tools
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    Guitar Center?! oh no! [:0]

that's the only one I care about

Thought that to.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is GOVERNMENT at all levels with its taxes and regulations that are killing brick and mortar stores.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    how is amazon competing with dine in restaurants ?

as long as there is a hood rent-a-center is safe
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,996 ******
    edited November -1
    over half of the list,I've never heard of,,,
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    It is GOVERNMENT at all levels with its taxes and regulations that are killing brick and mortar stores.

That is exactly what is killing small business. I and my wife are small business owners and I would estimate that we spend a good 25-30% of our day dealing with some regulation or another.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Dollar General" is contributing to the demise of the big stores more than Amazon....one on ever corner...
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand that Toys R Us is anti gun. I would like to see it close.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    free market operates with the govt elbow deep up their * and in their wallet...needs some changes there
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sears dug its grave for good when it sold Craftsman. What a stupid blunder.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retailing business is tough right now as the internet has put a hurting on them.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think I have walked in but 2 on that list in the last 25 years.

I went in to a rite-aid a few years ago one time to get something for my Dad when he was sick and I have gone inside a Sears maybe 3 times in the last 20 years to get an appliance or a tool.

Sears missed the Internet sales boat. They had the perfect set up for internet sales when it 1st started, hell they just about invented sales ordering, only instead of a paper catalogue now its a computer screen., but they were fat and happy where Amazon was hungry. Now Walmart is trying beat out Amazon and doing a good job at it.

Survival of the fittest is spot on! Adapt or die.
    RLTW

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh Market just opened two stores here in the last year with a third one opening in the fall. many of those chain stores have been on the demise list for years.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Noodles and Company ... Stock was at, what, $15?

Two hoodlums working the register mouthed off at law enforcement. Stock plunged, never recovered.

If I was cynical, I'd guess a couple white collar felons massively shorted N&C, then targeted the employees at a bar, plied them with drinks and drugs, and incited them to begin agitating law enforcement.

Sound crazy? Maybe. But someone made a pile of money on that stock's drop.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    + 1 The times they are a changing...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    99cents store, bummer, a fine store. Hope they make it.

They had an upscale clientele but earlier this year a lot of "furners" were picking through the fruit containers,, maybe they will go out of business. A good "half price sale" 49.5 cents, that should help sell out the merchandise.

Got a 1,000 peso store, another favorite place, never know what you'll find. Just last week a big bottle of shampoo. Good for washing chicken feet. They seem to like it, eyes get big, stare straight ahead and don't move, maybe the foot massage part is what they like?

99cent_hummerxx01.JPG
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here it's more and more stores opening up all selling the same stuff. They even open up near each other. Makes no sense.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Retailing business is tough right now as the internet has put a hurting on them.

Didja read the post? They are opening too many stores to close together, and too many selling the same thing.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,227 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GNC?

My fiancee's girlfriend, down in Atlanta, has a son and daugher in law that bought a GNC franchise, maybe 25 years ago.
    Health food store and a pretty good one.
    They were making good money back then and were thinking of buying a second one.

Tough luck for them, their big investment is now worth zero.
    Hope they saved some money.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see this list every year. Sears has been on there for over a decade....

Bloomin Brands? The owners of Outback, Bonefish, Carraba's, Flemings and others? Not likely....

Rent a Center? Not likely...

I think a lot of these articles are written by people trying to short the stock.