In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Peaches, (Are there?)

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Ways to preserve them without canning??

I've never done canning. I[img][/img] would like to learn though.

I've currently got more peaches than I can possibly consume, from three large trees, all proficient producers.

I'd like to hear any suggestions you might have to offer.

I have a large dehydrator, but I'd prefer to keep them juicy.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could make freezer preserves. I don't know how well they freeze halved or sliced, we always canned them.

Edit: Don't let the pooch eat the seeds, I hear that's real bad.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/preserving-canning/freeze-peaches/
    Freeze 'em or use your dehydrator on 'em. Be sure you don't eat the pits either, I hear that's really, really bad![:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    You could make freezer preserves. I don't know how well they freeze halved or sliced, we always canned them.

Edit: Don't let the pooch eat the seeds, I hear that's real bad.

Nah pooch can get no where near Peach trees.

He has however, developed an affinity for cherries, when I (we) are eating them.

The look on his face is priceless. [:D]

Freezer space is at a premium.

I do not have a separate chest freezer, although I need to get one.

That is why I do not deer hunt.

No where to put the meat.

Putting peaches in shine work?
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife freezes them successfully.

She peels and slices them, then stirs them with sugar and a little water in a stainless steel mixing bowl and lets them sit and soak for a while to let the sugar all dissolve and permeate the peaches. She packs them into 1-pint freezer cartons and freezes them.

They hold that real peach flavor better than canned peaches. We eat them on cereal or with ice cream. They should also be ready to make pie or cobbler filling although we don't eat them that way.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make brandy out of them.

That is what my uncle would have done. He was one of the biggest moonshiners in North Georgia.

Apples

Peaches

Pears

you name it he turned it in to 100% skull splitter.
    RLTW

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Ken, you need to go deer hunting so that you're forced to buy a deep freezer. That's why I bought my first one. Had have someplace to put the dead deer.[:D]

But anyway dehydrating them is good. They're a little too sugary for me, but people love them.

You can buy them commercially made labeled as candied peaches because they're so sweet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, looks like I'll be deyhydrating peaches.

Was hoping to keep them juicy.

Any alternatives?
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peach wine is easy to make and so is peach preserves.

wine

https://delishably.com/beverages/How-to-Make-Peach-Wine-A-Simple-Peach-Wine-Recipe

Preserves

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21351/peach-preserves/

Canning stuff like this is really easy. The preserves are tasty and last a long time, if they taste good you can give them away or sell them.
    RLTW

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

Any alternatives?

Stop spending so much money with Ricci Wright and buy a freezer![:D]
    Sorry Ricci.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Sam06, I will give those a look.

I got lazy, did not prop up my one tree that was overburdened.

We have several bear, with cubs and lots and lots of deer here. (Not to mention the *, etc)

The animals got around 150 peaches, that they could reach on my downed tree.

My fault. (Pits everywhere.)

I've probably still got 150 peaches between the trees. Some as big as double fists.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

Any alternatives?

Anything you dehydrate, can be rehydrated including Meats.

To rehydrate fruits just place dried fruit in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes until plump then strain and use. For added flavor, use a hard liquor like rum, bourbon, or brandy, any flavored liqueur, or even fruit juice instead of water. Just warm the liquid in the microwave then pour over the dried fruit.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang good that you have them I thought the late frost damaged the crops pretty badly.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Dang good that you have them I thought the late frost damaged the crops pretty badly.

I was/am shocked also.

We got several nights of 28* temps after my fruit trees had budded out and flowered.

That is why I got caught by surprise. I was not expecting anythibg, like last year. (Same scenario.)

Was not even looking at them or paying attention to them, then I glanced at them, and it was like "Holy Crap."

I'm gonna be in the same boat with Nectarines here shortly.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,390 ******
    edited November -1
    [:p]Ken, unless you eat and cook with them fresh, canning is the BEST way to store and reuse peaches!

Just have to learn a new procedure and become familiar with it.

Just think about it!

It's mid January and you're Jones-ing for some hot out of the oven peach cobbler[:p], or just some sweet syrupy peaches to pour over a bowl of vanilla ice cream, or you're in a hurry and need a sweet fix right out of the canning jar!

You know your way around a kitchen and have made some pretty awesome dishes.....so dig in and learn the fine art of canning!
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WE have frozen them whole! Works great later on...hot water takes off the skin...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all the replies.

Gives me something to think about.

I agree, I need to (and have been wanting to) learn and do canning.

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    MY wife makes PICKLED peaches great stuff she give a jar to friends for CHRISTMAS but they are good any time of year
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ

Had to do it. Sorry. Not sorry.
    [:)][;)][:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another from maybe 20 years ago "Peaches for you, Peaches for me" . . . . . . .
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you need to get another freezer.
    I used to freeze many pounds of them.
    I am from Georgia and we would pick 15 gallons of them. Make wine with 10 gallons and freeze the rest.
    Just wash them real good, make a cut around the peach and get the pit out. Then, pack those fresh peach halves with the skin on into a quart ziploc freezer bag and put in the freezer.

Yeah they did turn a little brown but they tasted great. Freezing and defrosting breaks down the fibers of the peach a little, so they are real soft.
    In December, I would put a bag of frozen peaches in the blender with 5 ounces of Bacardi rum, damn, what fantastic peach daquaris.
    Wonderful drink.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jim_lemay
    Take 1 gal jar and place 2 pints sliced peaches into jar, add 2 pints of Everclear or sugar-shine into jar, put on lid and shake 2-3 times per day for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks drain liquids off fruit and dispose of fruit. Put liquids back in jar , add 1 liter water in which you have dissolved 1/4 cup sugar, several pieces of Cinnamon and any other herbs you want. Shake good and let age for 3 months before bottling. PEACH BRANDY

By "dispose of fruit" I assume you mean consume on top of ice cream...