In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Heart in Your Throat Moment

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I had not been on the net or watched TV this morning.
I got in the car to go get some tea for the shop.

I had left the radio in the car on from yesterday so as soon as the engine caught, the speaker blared out.

It was the old CONELRAD tone that the EBS uses now. For three seconds this was all I heard and the worst scenario flashed through my mind.

For the kids that don't know what this is, it's the activation of the Emergency Broadcasting System that we had in case of nuclear attack by the Soviet Union. Normal radio and TV tells you to tune a specific frequency or channel for emergency information.

KIM JONG had either hit or his birds were in the air. I did not exhale until one second after the tone stopped and the voice said it was just a test. Then I could laugh at myself.

Next time I go to the drugstore, maybe I'll pick up some iodine. Just in case.[B)]

https://youtu.be/7iaQMbfazQk

Comments

• Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But...but...you're a WARRIOR. I would have thought you would have been all smiles and rarin' to go!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    But...but...you're a WARRIOR. I would have thought you would have been all smiles and rarin' to go!

What you think doesn't matter, you're a RE MF.

Funny what the censor does ain't it/
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least I'm still fighting, blue shirt.

Now go and change your underwear, little boy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    At least I'm still fighting, blue shirt.

Now go and change your underwear, little boy.

Go get your civilian boss a latte.
    [:I]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most now would not have a clue what that noise was
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do remember when the Russian ships were being intercepted on their way to Cuba....Kennedy came on the air and told us we could be in WW3...now that was scary...I wonder if the NFL would have taken a knee?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is so sad is that the Soviets until they fell still maintained their Civil Defense program.
    Reagan absolutely scared the Hell out of them. They just knew Reagan and Thatcher were going to launch a first strike.

The Damned Pinkos say Reagan was not the reason the Soviets imploded, but it surely was. Star Wars sank them. Operation Ivy Bells showed them just how far ahead the West was. We would still be listening if a spy hadn't ratted us out.

Lots of country people will survive an attack. City folks, not so much.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    most now would not have a clue what that noise was

I'm 35. I can't tell you the last time I heard that alarm. It's been a while
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I do remember when the Russian ships were being intercepted on their way to Cuba....Kennedy came on the air and told us we could be in WW3...now that was scary...I wonder if the NFL would have taken a knee?

My butt puckered a few times during that evolution too, but the one that sent tingles up my spine was when every Dental Technician at Norfolk Naval Shipyard got orders from BuPers changing their rating to Corpsman and telling them which ship or air station to report to.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in ATL they test the tornado sirens on the first Wednesday of the month at noon exactly for 3 minutes or so. One spring day it is storming pretty hard and I am out trying to find some lunch. While stopped at a traffic light 5 or six cars from the front, the siren 20 feet to my right starts going off REALLY LOUD. Not realizing it was the first wednesday of the month and noon, it was sphincter factor five there for a few minutes. Now I have an alarm pop up on my phone 5 minutes before to remind me.