In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who still writes checks..?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I pay my regular bills online. I don't have a debt card. I have an ATM card and a credit card. I use my credit card to purchase most things and I pay my bill, in full every month.

I do write checks for some services, Like filling my propane tank.

I will say that I find myself writing very few checks nowadays and I would bet that banks will start to charge some kind of fee for accounts if you write checks. The banks want you to use a debt card.

No debit card, but an ATM card and a Credit card....wouldn't an ATM card be a debit card??

yes, one in the same

Nope, ATM card only works in a ATM, debit card works in a ATM and like a credit card.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ONE credit card and checks...not that it makes any difference ..big brother knows more about you and your life than you so
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have NEVER had a debit card, I have NEVER used an A.T.M., and yes, I still pay with checks, and I do use credit cards, but not generally for less than $20, cash for small items.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    So when y'alls on-line accounts are hacked and your retirement account now has a negative balance because it was stolen, don't come running to me looking for any stuffothy.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The little old lady in front of me at the register
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    All you people who are paranoid about using credit cards or debit cards or other forms of e-payment saying "I don't want the intrusion in my life, or the danger of a hacker getting my data etc. etc. etc.," you all know two things, I hope:

1. No checks are processed manually any longer. Write a check at Wal-Mart, they scan it and your signature and debit it automatically from your account. Same as a debit card. Except you just paid to have that check scanned. Sucker.
    2. The U.S. mail is far less reliable and less secure than online security protocols. Everyone knows how to open your mail and get your information off your check. Very few know how to hack, comparatively speaking.

Add to that the inconvenience of writing checks, the time involved, the cost of buying them... I use them only for rent.

You do what you want, I could get behind a cash-only mentality, but if you use checks you are already using e-payments, you just don't realize it. Just please don't stand in front of me in the grocery store while you painstakingly write out your check.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,440 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    You do what you want, I could get behind a cash-only mentality, but if you use checks you are already using e-payments, you just don't realize it. Just please don't stand in front of me in the grocery store while you painstakingly write out your check.
    Yep, what jonk said.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Yep, what jonk said.

..When I use a check at the store, all I do is sign it, the register does the rest. Before that, It still had it all written out except for the amount. I never took any longer than a cash transaction. Not like the folks that wait for the total and then start looking for the checkbook or cash. That drives me nuts...[}:)]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of our bills are paid by check....about 8 to 10 a month.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry my other brother Dale, but you are indeed paleolithic. I do write a few checks each year, mostly quarterly tax payments and a couple of contributions, generally less than 10 per year. I do use an ATM card, credit card, direct bank transfers, and even international bank transfers.

But I still love ya, you old luddite.[:X][}:)][:p]
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Sorry my other brother Dale, but you are indeed paleolithic. I do write a few checks each year, mostly quarterly tax payments and a couple of contributions, generally less than 10 per year. I do use an ATM card, credit card, direct bank transfers, and even international bank transfers.

But I still love ya, you old luddite.[:X][}:)][:p]

..Dale, that's one thing I've never been called..a luddite! Paleolithic, yes, but not a luddite! I love it! From you my dear friend, (or anyone, really) I'll take that as a supreme compliment.[8D]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a good relationship with my banks.....I do not have an ATM card...I use my checking accounts for bookkeeping...I do have several credit cards...AMEX being the longest I've used...There again,we use them for accounting...a gas card...a Sams card...all used in the business's...I do not believe in, and never used a "petty cash" drawer...all my monthly bills are bank drafts...I write few checks...We try to keep it simple...We do pay vendors by check...and I have several checking accounts at vendors offices,so I can beat the wire fees...we are very tight with a buck,when it comes to banks,we use them as much as possible..
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have a stack of checks with my old address on them. Everything is paid online or charged to amex and paid off at the end of the month. Things like PTA or Soccer booster club that need a check get one with a 9 year old address on them. Maybe I "write" 6 a year. By write I mean print out from my accounting software. (I do not use Debit cards unless the store offers a discount for them or does not take amex)

The DeKalb farmers market for example. No credit cards so either Check or Debit.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    . . .I want to SEE the billing in BLACK AND WHITE to assure it's accurate before some outfit gets my money.. . .Debit cards are a big NO NO because you have zero protection is it's lost or stolen...they can empty your bank account completely as there is no $50 max protection like a credit card.

You can still get a paper billing and pay with on-line banking. That's what I do.

Debit Cards have a limit on withdrawals so no one can empty your account. Plus the thief still needs a password.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been in banking over 32 years; when I got here people were saying "In 5 years nobody will write a check". Still speaking that crap. The fact is, checks are the majority of real payments in this world.

I don't own a debit card and am a big joke at the bank because of it. I pay with American dollars and it takes me WAY less time than some processing of a debit card transaction.

Those things are hacked every F'ing day and the only reason people use them at all is because the banks pay for the silly theft. All I hear at work is "Well we still make all this money" I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars we ate and we are a tiny bank in a small town.

If people lost that money, nobody would use them and I predict a day when it won't be used because people are tired of being ripped off.

KC
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I still have a stack of checks with my old address on them. Everything is paid online or charged to amex and paid off at the end of the month. Things like PTA or Soccer booster club that need a check get one with a 9 year old address on them. Maybe I "write" 6 a year. By write I mean print out from my accounting software. (I do not use Debit cards unless the store offers a discount for them or does not take amex)

The DeKalb farmers market for example. No credit cards so either Check or Debit.
    First time at the DeKalb Mkt..was in 1985 I think...went to see the folks at the old C&S Bank the account exec took me there......Sold them product for awhile...
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..Are we alone in our stone age world?

Not completely alone, but close to it. On-line banking is so easy and safe that even a dinosaur like me uses it almost exclusively. I write a paper check maybe twice a year at max, and then only to pay someone who is still in the stone age like you.[:)]

Uhhhh....you sure about that?

http://lifehacker.com/chase-bank-hacked-info-stolen-for-83-million-accounts-1642063956
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/bank-accounts/11415078/Hackers-steal-650m-10-ways-to-protect-your-bank-account.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/world/bank-hackers-steal-millions-via-malware.html?_r=0

The more places you information is on the InterWeb, the more chances someone can hack into that information.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you really think that your checking account information is not already on line for anyone to see, or steal? Paper checks are no longer processed by a real human being, they are scanned and everything is processed electronically.

The only time I ever had trouble with paying bills was years ago when I still wrote checks and mailed them. A yahoo pried open a mail box and stole all the letters inside. One happened to be my payment for car insurance and I didn't know it until the insurance company sent me a notice of cancellation. Now that I pay on-line that does not happen.

But, bottom line is that the country is going paperless and cashless whether we like it or not. It's best to get on board now rather than fighting the system. The system will win.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been going paperless and cashless for as long as I have been alive.

Paper usage is still growing 5-6% per year.

The number of US bills in circulation has more than doubled since 1994.

I am more worried about the population explosion that will place us into famine here in the US. That is predicted for 1980....right before the Ice Age hits.

And don't get me started about the inevitability of Peak Oil. It is 5 years off. Still.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With my business, the only form of payment I will accept is checks.
    If a customer wants to pay through their bank, fine, their bank sends me a check.
    Credit cards, no thanks. It is simple economics.
    When I find a credit card that will charge me NO fees of any kind, I will move out of the dark ages and accept them. Until then, I do not see any advantage. Pay the credit card company their fees/percentages (which would be substantial) or keep 100% of the money myself. Seems simple enough to me, I choose to keep 100% of the money.

As for bills, I autopay what I can on my credit card (which builds up the cash back bonus) and pay the credit card bill at the end of the month with a check. The rest of the bills I pay with a check. No automatic deductions from my bank account.

You are not alone.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    First time at the DeKalb Mkt..was in 1985 I think...went to see the folks at the old C&S Bank the account exec took me there......Sold them product for awhile...

Ahhh.... Cheat and Swindle.... I do not miss that bank. They screwed me out of a few hundred dollars when I was a student and at the time that was a lot of money. I do remember an early morning six pack when they imploded the remains of the C&S HQ building on North Ave where the BofA building is now. [:D]