In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Breakfast was late today

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
Me and some friends were going to fly to Lancaster OH (KLQH) for breakfast. It was socked in big time with 1/4 mile visibility and 100 foot vertical. That is a no-way-Jose bad weather report. So, we took off and tried for University Airport (KUNI) to try and sneak in there. My friend has a hot rod RV and was able to out fly us to check things out, it was better but still marginal.

We all turned to the SW and headed to our old standby Portsmouth (KPMH) and enjoyed a great breakfast even if it did take us an hour and a half of flying to get there. [:D]. Nothing like burning 15 gallons of 100LL to get your morning cup of joe and some eggs.

One of the planes was just bought, a Piper Cherokee 140, he paid 20K for it with a 600 hour rebuild on the motor. He stole it when you price used airplanes these days. He got to solo today and seeing him do it was awesome!

Used planes are going up and up in price; BASIC MED has allowed formerly grounded pilots to fly again. The old third class medical is gone to be able to fly. I saw used aircraft prices go up about a grand a month for the past five or six months. There are about 30,000 pilots that are now back in the market for aircraft. A lot of them have money to burn and will pay top dollar to get back into the air.

This is another example of how excessive government was hurting an industry with little or nothing to show for it. Now, after BASIC MED passed last summer if you are not an insulin dependent diabetic and do not have afib you get a doctor's note and keep it in your files. You can now fly again.

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like someone with type 1 should be able to fly privately I understand regs prohibiting commercial flying.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went airborne today too.
    Didn?t go anywhere, just up and around.
    Beautiful day, no wind and warmer than the last few days.
    Fortunately, I burn non-ethanol car gas so I save a bunch.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by merlinn

I went airborne today too.
    Didn?t go anywhere, just up and around.
    Beautiful day, no wind and warmer than the last few days.
    Fortunately, I burn non-ethanol car gas so I save a bunch.

I need to buy the STC for my 0320-D2J to burn MOGAS. I suppose I could just forget to buy it and run it anyway but just my luck something would go wrong and it would bite me in the butt for doing it.

My old 172, N3226L made it to her new home in ND, flown from here by a ferry pilot. The day the new owner finally got to fly her the vacuum pump went out. [:0]