In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

slow and heavy

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Sam06's Combat Master shoots .45 USGI Ball at 700 ft/s. slow as a bb gun. I'm sure we have all shot a .45 at one time or another and could see the bullet flying downrange.

how about a bullet so slow you can see it coming at you. [:)] I'm thinking 400 ft/s and still have a power factor of 200, about that of a .45ACP.

that would take a 500 grain bullet and probably have to be .60 or .75 caliber.

50GI uses 300 grain bullets, if you could get away with 500 grainers somehow....

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to see ANY bullet coming at me. [;)][:D][:0] I have seen many bullets outgoing if the light is right. Even 30 cal bullets leave a trail that can be seen through a spotting scope.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I'm happy when I can see the target.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    400 ft./s with a 500 gain projectile? It might get out to about 50 feet before it hits the ground, that is if you were aiming at the sky
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooting steel on a summer day in arnold mo, not only can you see the bullet go down range, but strait up into the sky when it hits
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever shot a 40mm? M79 or M203?

BLOOP!

And watch the round go downrange....... WHOOMPH!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    Sam06's Combat Master shoots .45 USGI Ball at 700 ft/s. slow as a bb gun. I'm sure we have all shot a .45 at one time or another and could see the bullet flying downrange.

how about a bullet so slow you can see it coming at you. [:)] I'm thinking 400 ft/s and still have a power factor of 200, about that of a .45ACP.

that would take a 500 grain bullet and probably have to be .60 or .75 caliber.

50GI uses 300 grain bullets, if you could get away with 500 grainers somehow....

You are right about slow. I remember when I went to the gravel pit to shoot that Mk1 if the sun was out(Very unusual in Western WA state[;)]) You could see the sun "glint" off the bullets.

I have been shot at more than most folks I know and I have never seen a bullet coming at me. I have seen mortar round coming in and at night I have seen arty burning the air but no bullets. Mk 19 rounds can be seen in bound as can the Russian AGS-30 rounds.

I guess if everything was right you could see a bullet but it would have to be slow and it would have to have the sun/light just right.
    RLTW

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 sure rule to live by...
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    400 ft./s with a 500 gain projectile? It might get out to about 50 feet before it hits the ground, that is if you were aiming at the sky

You need to brush up on your physics just a wee bit.

If fired from a height of 5 feet with the barrel dead horizontal, it would take approx 1/2 second for the bullet to hit the ground. That would be 200 feet or 4 times your example.[}:)]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    In a vacuum.

Wouldn't matter much. You'd need zero gravity to make it fly straight.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh goody!! Can we argue about this?? Can we?? Can we??[:)][}:)][:p]
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Oh goody!! Can we argue about this?? Can we?? Can we??[:)][}:)][:p]

Just give it some time Ricci. [:0][:D]
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2x. The first was a contact hit-no way to see it. The second upclose and personal. All I can do is call BS if ya claim you saw the muzzle flash. As the old saying goes "...you never hear the one that gets you."
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i woulnt want to find out.[:0][:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    in a vacuum, of course, there isn't air to give it resistance and reduce the speed, thereby reducing the distance it travels. but the effect is small and should be ignored if we are to understand how this works.

you will notice that while the bullet's time-to-hit-the-ground is increased by the first term, the time is decreased by the second term (less forward velocity, according to the cosine) and that is why you always get the maximum distance by aiming at 45 degrees.

Once again, 45 degrees is the optimum angle 'in a vacuum'. In 'reality' the angle is usually between 30 and 40 degrees.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    argue all you want, 50gi is a handgun cartridge i wouldnt be using it more than a few yards anyway and could care less its trajectory at 100+yards

ever see a .45acp shot at 200 yards?

midwest regional championship had a side match for cash 1.00 a shot at a popper placed 200 yards out, first guy up unloaded a magazine downrange every bullet hit the ground, 1 bullet bounced up and hit the popper at 7 seconds, he was aiming at about 35 degrees
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    in a vacuum, of course, there isn't air to give it resistance and reduce the speed, thereby reducing the distance it travels. but the effect is small and should be ignored if we are to understand how this works.

you will notice that while the bullet's time-to-hit-the-ground is increased by the first term, the time is decreased by the second term (less forward velocity, according to the cosine) and that is why you always get the maximum distance by aiming at 45 degrees.

Once again, 45 degrees is the optimum angle 'in a vacuum'. In 'reality' the angle is usually between 30 and 40 degrees.
    ...and once again, the example ignores air resistance so you can understand how this works. if you don't think that's necessary why don't you explain how 'in reality' the optimum angle is 30-40 degrees... without referring the 'ideal' mechanics in a vacuum. I would like to see how that goes.

Actually, a ballistics calculator 'factors' in 'drag' when the bullet's 'ballistic coefficient' in input. If your 500 grain 'example' is just a larger version of the 230 grain Hardball round, it's BC = 0.205 (for your velocity)

You can Google info on the 'optimized' angle. I did (because I can't lay my hands on my artillery book)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so explain why the optimum angle is 30-40 degrees.

I don't care about google. I didn't use it to get the base equation, or the trigonometric derivative, or to c&p the explanation. did it all on my own.

go ahead. google me an explanation. without referring to the ideal case that says 45 degrees.

I didn't google the formula to determine the time for the projectile to drop from 5', either. And I took basic Newtonian physics over 40 years ago.

I was told over 50 years ago that the optimum angle for maximum range was 30 degrees. Equipped with that 'fun fact' I sought information from a reliable source (those sites that end in .edu) for a more definitive answer. I'm satisfied.

You want to come off as a smart fella, do your own research. Or not. I've already given you the 'real world' answer.

PS: Here's another 'fun fact'. (passed on by the same guy that told me about the 30 degrees) If the range is sufficient and you see the plume of gas exit the barrel pointed at you, you should duck. (and 'we're' talking about high powered rifle 'bullets').
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

we can use the standard quadratic solution

x = [-b +/- SQRT(b^2 - 4*a*c)] / 2*a

Hey, watch your language. [;)][:)]