In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sometimes free stuff ain't easy.....

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
Running the free gas to the new 14KW standby gen set. 1" black iron pipe tapped in from the well pipe, through the house along a floor joist to a 1,600,000 BTU capable pancake regulator set for 6" WC on the other side of the house. Sounds great, I did my home work, takeded to experts and now have plenty of gas volume to the generator. Installing generator per code for clearances from openable windows as close to house main panel as possible.

UNFORTUNATELY, the gas feed lines are now blocking the only possible exhaust exit for the new direct vent water heater on that side of the house.

Now I have to redo the main water line from the well to move the pump or install the water heater in a far corner 35 feet from the kitchen, 45 feet from one bath and 75 feet or more to the master bathroom. The lines are all 3/4 to keep volume up so nobody notices when a toilet gets flushed or both showers are going at the same time. I would have to run the shower in the master bath for 5 minutes to get hot water.....[:(]

Oh, well the free gas will be worth it if getting all the lines, wires and appliances installed does not kill me.

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for reminding me...my gas bill is due Monday[:D]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Thanks for reminding me...my gas bill is due Monday[:D]

My $1200 insurance payment is due tomorrow.[:(][:(][:(]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Free" has its strings....[:o)]
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got free horse manure today. Totally free but I did have to shovel the chit and then work it into the garden.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    I got free horse manure today. Totally free but I did have to shovel the chit and then work it into the garden.

Well what a crappy day
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judging by the title, I thought this was going to be a post on the border crisis.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Onliest problem I've found with horse crap is that everything that nag ever ate is gonna sprout come spring.
    [V]barto[V]
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does one get free gas, in the first place?

You should have a ton of options for venting a direct-vent water heater -- you might need to add a power vent, but you shouldn't be locked into just "one location."
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Free= WARNING!!!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Pop used to say "anything free is worth what you pay for it."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone

You should have a ton of options for venting a direct-vent water heater -- you might need to add a power vent, but you shouldn't be locked into just "one location."

The installation instructions show the code for clearances from windows that open, corners, eves, doors, dryer vents and any other building opening. To maintain clearances there are precious few spots between the floor joists in the basement that can be used while maintaining the specified clearances.

Free gas is no good if I kill myself with carbon monoxide. [:0]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    free gas ??? from a well on your property ???....if so quality may deem a filter or some other gizmo....I ran a 413 chrysler on natural gas from an oil well in the field ...got about 4 seasons on engine ...some sulfur??? in the gas was hard on the top edges of the pistons...guess pipe thru house is no diff than a propane line to a central unit but wonder if varying well pressure could present a danger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Originally posted by competentone

Having a gas well on your property.