In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Woodworkers...Mortising machine help.

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I am looking to get a machine for making mortise and tenon joints. Is it better to get a Stand alone Mortising machine/press or do the kits that hook up to a drill press work? I will only be doing 2-3 projects a year so I do not need to spend $900 on a JET mortiser. I've heard good reviews on the Craftsman hollow chisel mortiser for $250 but then again, a drill press is about $99-$150.

Comments

• LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy Mortising Bits that will work in a table Router. It takes longer to set the router up for the cuts than it does with a machine. You also must use a sharp chisel to cut the ends square.

It is easier to buy an attachment from someone like Delta or Oasis that will work on a drill press. The kits run around $40 and up.

Doing only two or three projects a years I would apt for the Mortising Attachment Kit and drill press before I would a tool that is only used for mortising.

Tenons are easily cut using just a table saw.

Don't know where you got the $900 from. For you can get a Jet mortising machine for around $350.00.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I think their's a rig made by MAKITA, that goes on their hand-held angle grinders.
    OOPS!!! I thought U were talking about "bisquit" joinery..nevermind.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Here save some money.

http://tinyurl.com/9547lq

http://tinyurl.com/qm9hwe

Lessen you gots toolitis.

Sorry that's incurable.

[V]

Allen

• rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have a Jet mortiser
    had it for 5 yrs I think.
    I love it.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I briefly built drawers at my brothers shop. They had an automatic machine that you could pick the style of the mortise and tenon. It was an italian machine that only cost $28,000. I know it's a little more than you want to spend, but those 2-3 projects a year will turn out PERFECT!
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to beat the Delta hollow chisel mortiser. Not that expensive and it saves time. Tenons are not that difficult to make on a table saw. I had a tenoning jig like Norm's but the time to set it up right just wasn't worth it to me. Unless you do a lot of them you can overspend on tools. Norm has cost me a lot of money I didn't need to spend. Tool companies love him I'm sure.
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you only have a couple of projects a year why not cut them by hand the old fashioned way.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    If you're not using it much, I say get a cheap mortising jig for your drill press. I bought one from Northern Tool (made in China) for $50 with 4 sizes of mortise bits. I works fine.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glyn
    If you only have a couple of projects a year why not cut them by hand the old fashioned way.

Because I have a 3 year old and an 8 week old and don't have the time. Trust me, I wanted to do it the old fashioned way[;)]