In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turning a 357 into a 44?

JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I went to a shop today in northern macomb county. Had a decent looking 44 special, a Smith. The saleslady said "The barrel is marked 357, but it's actually a 44. The Cylinder certainly was for a 44, and the barrel was sized for a 44. Why then was it marked 357? Can a 357 be bored out to a 44? The price was very fair, if it was a 44. Anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    the previous owner shot the hell out of the 357 barrel and reamed it out to 44. the cylinders are interchangeable but the timing can be tricky.
    unless it was done by a smith you know and love, I gotta agree with drjew, run away!
  • 1911 Gunslinger1911 Gunslinger Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KABOOOOM[B)]

Sounds like a Bubba's Custom Shop special. Probably better stay away unless you are in the market for some artificial body parts.[:0]
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Sure it can be done, but the barrel should have been restamped. Bowen does it, I have one of his:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/RugSAcalconv.htm
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    I went to a shop today in northern macomb county. Had a decent looking 44 special, a Smith. The saleslady said "The barrel is marked 357, but it's actually a 44. The Cylinder certainly was for a 44, and the barrel was sized for a 44. Why then was it marked 357? Can a 357 be bored out to a 44? The price was very fair, if it was a 44. Anyone ever heard of this?

Holy Beans man....run like a cross dressing hooker from a Sunday revival meeting!!
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911 Gunslinger
    KABOOOOM[B)]

Sounds like a Bubba's Custom Shop special. Probably better stay away unless you are in the market for some artificial body parts.[:0]

Hey, I resemble resent that remark.[:D]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Bowen does it, I have one of his:

thats a good example of a trusted smith. I've shot one of his conversions, very nice.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The funny thing was that there was no refinish on it (or if it was, it was great), and it shows no signs of abuse. It didn't make sense to turn it into a 44. The only thing I could think of is maybe the barrel was mis-marked.

If it was a real 44 for $400 in that condition, I would have snapped it up. However, I did pass on it - I see no good coming from this thing....
  • rusty shackelfordrusty shackelford Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what make was it ?
    ruger ?

rusty
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rusty shackelford
    what make was it ?
    ruger ?

rusty

Bet it was not a S&W
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a S&W, I think a 28-2.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Since the 28 was built on the same ("N") frame as the 29, it'd make an easy enough conversion, for an excellent gunsmith. But boring the barrel out to 44 would leave a pretty thin-walled barrel.

I wouldn't do it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    Since the 28 was built on the same ("N") frame as the 29, it'd make an easy enough conversion, for an excellent gunsmith. But boring the barrel out to 44 would leave a pretty thin-walled barrel.

I wouldn't do it.

Good point....

I would not do it either...why screw up a perfectly good .357?
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    44 Special is a lot milder load than a 357 magnum. No need to worry if it indexes ok. The frame, cylinder and barrel should certainly handle it fine. 44 special is a fine round too.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect the barrel was made as a .44 and mis-marked .357 rather than bored out from .357 to .44.

There were a number of model 28's that are not .357 mags as they should be. I have one of them. Mine is marked model 28 but is a .45.

I saw another last weekend and an auction.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    I suspect the barrel was made as a .44 and mis-marked .357 rather than bored out from .357 to .44.

There were a number of model 28's that are not .357 mags as they should be. I have one of them. Mine is marked model 28 but is a .45.

Good point. There are a lot of runs in the Smith legacy with mis-marks.
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    If you plan to shoot a gun like that, strap it to a tree with a log chain and tie a really long string around the trigger and back as far away as you can (Im talking at least 40ft). Then pull the trigger![;)]

Oh yeah, be sure to mount your video camera on a nearby tree to record the explosion that is sure to take place. [;)]

Then post your video on UTube. I'd really like to see that!![;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    44 Special is a lot milder load than a 357 magnum. No need to worry if it indexes ok. The frame, cylinder and barrel should certainly handle it fine. 44 special is a fine round too.

Then shoot .38's
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty

Ya know, when you get real tired of that gun and just before you throw it away, let me know.[8D]