In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old cavalry colt, notches on grip

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Old Colt revolver, has 7 "notches" on the grip, what do you suppose them are for?[:D]

Not saying its real or anything about the price but check out the 7th picture.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176036000

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recognize that gun!

My grandfather, a full blooded Cheyenne, took that pistol off a dead cavalry trooper after a big battle along some river in Montana in the summer of 1876.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I recognize that gun!

My grandfather, a full blooded Cheyenne, took that pistol off a dead cavalry trooper after a big battle along some river in Montana in the summer of 1876.

Wow! Four years before that Colt was even made! That makes it extra rare! [:D]
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imagine if that gun could talk...the stories it would tell!
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, if the seller is saying its "honest and original", well I guess it HAS to be.

quote:Now you and I both know that the timid among us would like to present themselves as heroes with a lot of notches on our side-arms, but take a long look at the grips on this old warrior and you damn sure know that these notches weren't carved there to keep track of coyotes silenced. Something significant happened before each of these epitaphs was written.

Yeah, nobody EVER carved notches in a gun butt for
    a. bragging rights.
    b. to make the gun seem more interesting to collectors.

Reminds of this old quote:
    quote:"The more he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I recognize that gun!

Oh yeah, what I meant was, my grandfather Pepe Lopez Griggs, a Lieutenant in the Spanish Army, took that pistol from a dead cavalry officer at San Juan Hill, Cuba.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I recognize that gun!

Oh yeah, what I meant was, my grandfather Pepe Lopez Griggs, a Lieutenant in the Spanish Army, took that pistol from a dead cavalry officer at San Juan Hill, Cuba.

OK, that makes sense. Now I believe you. [:D]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    C'mon guys! Every Colt Expert knows that those are there so your hand doesn't slip off the end of the grip when you are speed dueling! If yours doesn't have it they are fake and should be scrapped![:D]

P.S. I am starting a scrap fake Colt receptacle business tomorrow.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That Colt is way overpriced anyway. If it was an Ainsworth-inspected one, then maybe, but not for a Clark in that condition.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I swear I've seen that Colt listed before--never paid attention to the seller's name though-looks like one of those guns that just keeps getting relisted for years--like the Blasers.

If you want a good laugh read his description of this other Colt. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176941100
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Now you and I both know that the timid among us would like to present themselves as heroes with a lot of notches on our side-arms, but take a long look at the grips on this old warrior and you damn sure know that these notches weren't carved there to keep track of coyotes silenced.

Oh, he is a cagey old guy, that is for sure! He tells you nothing that could be pinned down as misrepresentation, but leads you along to draw a conclusion that has no basis in fact. Just because the pistol was shipped to the Army hardly means that it ever saw action, much less that anyone was ever shot and killed with that specific pistol. Maybe the notches do indicate seven yotes killed with the pistol...Who knows? How do we even know those are the original stocks? They could very well have been taken from another pistol over the past 100+ years and added on at any time. If you buy into the story of seven kills you need to know that you are buying the actual gun that did the shooting and not simply getting a set of stocks from some other pistol that shot seven men added onto an unrelated pistol. Where is a readable copy of the Colt letter in the listing?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    First rule BUY the Gun for the GUN. The story unless it can be PROVEN only impress your Girl Friend/Wife on why you paid that much for an OLD GUN. Proof in writing is a must. to add VALUE.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    I swear I've seen that Colt listed before--never paid attention to the seller's name though-looks like one of those guns that just keeps getting relisted for years--like the Blasers.

If you want a good laugh read his description of this other Colt. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176941100

Everyone knows David Carradine was a far superior Tom Horn.