In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fixed a computer but don't know what I did

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
I have a pretty good knowledge of computers. I've repaired a couple, replaced MOBO's, various drives, upgrades, eliminated viruses, etc., but this one blew my mind. My wife has a Dell e510 that's about 7yo that she hasn't used in about 6 months---she bought a laptop last year and uses it. I noticed a few days ago that an amber light was blinking on the e510
it wouldn't power up---the last time it was used, it had no problems. I discovered (on the net) that the e510 was prone to have power supply failures and the blinking amber light was an indication of a power supply problem. All the voltage readings I took on the main MOBO plug from the power supply were all within specs; but, I went ahead and tried a replacement power supply anyhow. Still had the same problem. Decided I wasn't going to spend anymore money for a new MOBO, etc. and would just gut the e510 and sell the parts and buy a good used puter to replace it. Put the original power supply back in, pressed the power button and bingo---up and running. I still don't know what was wrong or what I did that fixed it. Strange!
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Bad connection/a little dust tn the plug...
    Good deal!
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reset the BIO's by disrupting the power supply?

I have removed the internal battery in the past to correct unexplained problems.
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    reset the BIO's by disrupting the power supply?

I have removed the internal battery in the past to correct unexplained problems.

That's the only thing I did replace (CMOS battery) while I was inside. After it booted up, I reset the BIOS settings. Working like a charm. Didn't think that little coin battery would affect a computer from powering up.
    0M9InwN.gif[