In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WV Business and Law.... test again ** dang it.

LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Want to upgrade my contractors licenses from Remodeling to Building Construction. With a Remodeling licenses I am limited to bids below $15,000. Having a Building Construction Licenses would allow me to bid on the complete job if I choose to do so.

So I checked into it. I had to buy $650+ in new updated study guides. The local library did not have the new 2007 and newer guides needed for the test nor could they get them. So I went ahead and bought them.

The problems lays with the 2007 WV Business and Law study guide. It will take the book store 2 to 3 weeks to get it from the supplier and the supplier has to wait 5 to 7 days to get it from the publisher...

Here I am looking at having to wait anywhere from 5 to 10 weeks on a book that I need by test date on the 23rd. So now I have to reschedule the test to a later date if possible..

I took the Business and Law test back in 1992 and do not know why I would need to take it again. But oh well that's government at work I guess..

Comments

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    cant you find the book you need online. I guess from my exper there isnt anything you cant find online if you look hard enough
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amazon did have it.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    IN NC all you have to do is take the course at the local Community College. Now the test is hard with many failing it the first time. What gets me is that there are people who take the course around here and have no idea how to tell the difference between an 2X4 over a 2X6. They think that OSB is an occupational safety board. Like I said all you have to do is take the course at the local community college and you are good to go. Good luck with your test.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,028 ******
    edited November -1
    Virginia is getting tighter and tighter on their tradesman licenses. You have to take a continuing education course or equivelent frequently and pay ~$80 to take a test. I keep my master electrician license up, though it's not required for my work.
    There are frequent changes to the National Electric Code and I can see them wanting to keep you up to date, but plumbers, etc. have to go through the same dog and pony show. How many changes are there in plumbing? Hot on the left, etc.
    It's all about the money, but the dumb azzes can't see that there are no young guys going into the trades, at least not around here.
    Youngest guy I saw at the last "class" I took looked to be around 40.
    Where's the next generation of tradesmen coming from?
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Here's a great site that has hard to find books, at mild to wild prices for the same book/different conditions; kinda a "clearing house" of individual sellers on one site. Zipper turned me on to this site a couple of years ago, have used it every since, always got way more than my monies worth, great place for books online.

...I have called the sellers on several books just to ask questions and had the seller offer me the book I was calling about at a reduced price.[:p]..and I never asked for that[:D]; I guess those particular books were not "hot" sellers" and they dropped the price to make sure I bought 'em...easy search function too...luck w/finding the book & the test...[;)]

AbesBooks
    http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_ven=ov&cm_cat=corp-

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Colt
    I got the books I needed from American Contractors Exam Services. Good site I might add. Abes Books did not have it. They gave me the same story as everyone else. "Can get it to you in 5 to 9 weeks". The lady at WV Div. of Labor gave me the information I needed and some information about ACES. They have tons of information for different licenses pertaining to contract work. The application fee is $90.00 here in WV. Then you have to pay an extra $37.00 to take the Business and Law test.

http://www.examprep.org/default.aspx

MMOMEQ-55
    You can take a one to three day class here that people offer for around $300 to $400. Know a few people who took the classes and still failed the test for they were given bad information and the practice exams they use are outdated and nothing like the new ones. The test are all open book except Business & Law and based on the newest study guides.

It is just agitating wanting to get this over with ASAP and be shut down waiting on a single study guide.. lol
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It amazes me why people have to take a written test, I've known some people that could build some awesome houses, but couldn't pass a test if their life depended on it. I think the tests should be a hands on thing. There must be a building project at some govt building in the state.

Les, good luck on your test btw.