In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

can windows xp

auctionplugauctionplug Member Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Can windows xp support motherboards with an 64 bit chip like the i7 980x extreme and xeon six core 1366 processors or will I need win vista or win 7?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be fine with XP. However, there are some draw backs. Normal XP, home or pro 32 bit version, you will be limited to a little under 3200 mb of RAM. You can step up to the 64 bit version of XP or Windows 7 where the RAM is just about unlimited.

So really, you never get the true performance out of a quad core processor with XP like you would in Widows 7 or XP 64. Do not even consider vista.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Why what?

Why WIN 7?... Because it's pretty good and will be supported into the somewhat distant future.

Why 64 bit vs. 32 bit?... Because 32 bit runs out of an ability to address memory above about 3.2Mb. Further, 64 bit architecture moves twice the data per clock cycle then that of a 32 bit system.

Why not 64 bit?... Because some older softwares will not run.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    btw, I have a six core Xeon on my workstation at work, it rocks![:D]