In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Asthma

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
Anyone know if you can get asthma at anytime of your life? I'm pretty sure you can. As some of you know, I've been hitting the gym and treadmill lately. I haven't had a good run for about a week. I got off work this morning and decided to head out for a run. About a mile into it I suddenly couldn't catch my breath. I started wheezing. It hurt to inhale or exhale. If I tried to exhale forcefully it irritated my lungs and made me cough. I started walking. Walked for about 4-5minutes then picked back up into a jog. Within 2 minutes it was back. Walked the rest of the way home, laid down in the front yard and immediately became light headed. My body started tingling. My heartrate with elevated about normal and my capillary refill was under 1sec. I've been home about 30min and it still seems like I can't satisfy my breathing. Shallow breaths, it hurts to inhale or exhale fully or forcefully, the latter still makes me cough.

I was thinking of running to the store and picking up a Primetine Mist inhaler to help. My dad has asthma and that's what he used for 20yrs, he just recently switched to something else.

I wonder if it is something at home. My wife just went to the ER the other night. Same symptoms, only worse and she started to panic which made it worse.

Thoughts?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Go to the dr.....Dont self diagnose.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Go to the dr.....Dont self diagnose.....
    Agreed.

But to answer you question: Yes it is possible.

Some children have it and out grow it, and some adults never had it and then get it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's the thing she went to the doctor. Ran tests and tests and tests and didn't find a thing.

I wasn't self diagnosing. My question was "Can you get asthma at anytime?"

We life in an old house. It's dry, no leaks, but the thought of mold has crossed my mind. I've looked the house over and haven't found any but it can be in the walls or anywhere.

Has anyone used an Ozone Generator? I've read good things about them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I was thinking of running to the store and picking up a Primetine Mist inhaler to help.

Getting an inhaler is self diagnosing....A lot of time an inhaler wont help but will do more damage....

Yours came on during a run, was your wife doing anything physical at the time?...Where was she?....Who else lives in the house?...Any allergies?...Pets?...
    There are a zillion questions, and a lot of tests, including function tests that need to be done before a dx can be made....but yes asthma can come on at any age..
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    To answer your question: Yes, anytime in your life..

The doctor told me that the Primetine Mist inhalers are bad for your lungs.. Get a prescibed one..
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first thought was pneumonia, but if your wife was checked out thoroughly then that's probably not it.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it can happen, but its usually the result of something that has been brewing over time. ive had it all my life. mine is allergy based. something sounds like it just hit' you, due to something in the air. a smell, a gas, a perfume? your lungs tightened up.
    have it checked out.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can develop asthsma at dang near any time in your life. My oldest son wound up getting medically retired from the Corps after 15 yrs- You can't wear a protective mask when wheezing. His was stress induced (came on when running). GO TO THE DOC. Lost a co-worker that had severe asthma- she waited to long to go for the emergency injector one day.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Most certainly.

My mother just developed it this past year. My wife developed it in her early 20s.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Primatine is epinephrine, OK for short term but can lead to arrhythmias and serious cardiac problems if used over the long haul. As for self diagnosis, what happens when she runs elsewhere or outdoors.

What you describe sounds like a reactive pulmonary disorder, a fairly recent diagnosis that, rather than being a product of genetics as asthma often is, is caused by environmental factors like the mold you mention.

I would first suspect the gym, especially if all these attacks happen only there. Even a relatively new building can have mold growing in the ductwork and forced air is probably the cheapest means of climate control in a large building, although I am no HVAC expert. Remember that Legionaire's Disease began in a puddle in some ductwork.

If an inhaler seems to be the only way then wshe should see an MD for a referral to a pulmonologist. Your primary may well prescribe albuterol or atrovent or combivent(a combination of both. Albuterol (Proventil) is about $20 per 200 doses, the other two run around $140 per 200 (approx.) doses. These are known as "rescue inhalers" or those used during acute periods of bronchospasm, which is effectively the cause of both disorders. Another option is a maintenence inhaler that includes an inhaled steroid. These act to prevent bronchospasm where the others ameliorate existing, acute symptoms. Maintenence inhalers are Flovent and advair, among others, and are also expensive.

First place I'd look is the gym. If she can run elsewhere without problems I'd document that and get your membership fees refunded fvor use elsewhere.

I was diagnosed with asthma as a youngster. Back then i'd get an IM injection once a week, I don't know what it was and it isn't done any more. I was also cecked out for allergies and came up allergic to dogs, cats and horses along with ragweed and pollens, etc. There were always several cats and one dog in my parents house. I moved out at 18 and the "asthma" stopped. Smoked for 35 years after that and was recently Dx'd with the "reactive pulmonary" thing along with early COPD. Been doing one hit of Flovent (usual dose is 2 hits twice a day) and using an albuterol inh. I've cut way down on the smokes but will probably be doing the inh's for the duration. It wasn't asthma and the triggers back then were smoke, my allergens and cold air.

Now insult me [:o)]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it can, also if you deplete iron in your body (working out hard) it can happen add a supplement and see if it helps
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Blkhrn,

I was the one who was running. I hit the gym and and run and I don't have any problems. I was running outside this morning.

She will be resting and suddenly find she's short of breath.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    Blkhrn,

I was the one who was running. I hit the gym and and run and I don't have any problems. I was running outside this morning.

Cubs.. I know you said you have an older house. Even if you dont see visable signs of mold... pay a couple hundred $ and have it tested. Make sure they do several air tests in various areas. If you need any info about it please feel free to contact me. I see it alot in my area.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TexasVetTexasVet Member Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubslovers,

Read the Doc's mail and follow his advice -- he's a real physician.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have asthma that started in my thirties and I'm 59 years old. A good doctor can presribe a maintenance type of drug that will keep the symtoms at bay for moths or years. STAY AWAY FROM OZONE! The gas can kill you. It makes chlorine gas look harmless. I worked in the water and wastewater industry for 30 years and during that time some plants used devices called ozonators to kill bacteria. The fell out of favor because the gas is odorless and deadly. You could walk into a room with a leaking ozonator and fry your lungs without knowing it.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    Blkhrn,

Cubs: Make the appropriate substitutions. I would suspect mold, how long have you been living in your house?

I never implied that I am a physician, but I am an RN w/ 10 years on medical, oncology and pulmonary units and also one who has managed personal pulmonary disorders from an early age. When I was diagnosed with early COPD the doc asked me if there was anything else he could write (Rx) for me before I left. I told him I wanted the script for Flovent. He wrote it. Told me "Good idea."