In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A New Cold War? Frightening News!

HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
Iran Tests Stealth Missile

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran on Friday successfully test-fired a missile that can avoid radar and hit several targets simultaneously, the airforce chief of the elite Revolutionary Guards said.

"Today, a remarkable goal of the Islamic Republic of Iran's defence forces was realized with the successful test-firing of a new missile with greater technical and tactical capabilities than those previously produced," Gen. Hossein Salami said on state-run television.

Salami said the Iranian-made missile, which he did not name, was test-fired as large military maneuvers began in the Persian Gulf and the Arabian sea.

"This missile can simultaneously hit several targets, has near stealth capabilities with a high maneuverability, pinpoint accuracy and radar avoidance features," Salami said.

The general said the range of the missile would depend on the weight of its warhead.

"It can avoid anti-missile missiles and strike the target," he said.

The television screened a brief clip of the launch of the missile.

Iran already has the Shahab-3 missile, which has a range of 1,250 miles and is capable of reaching Israel and U.S. bases in the Middle East. The Shahab-3 is also capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.

Last year, former defence minister Ali Shamkhani said that Iran had successfully tested a solid fuel motor for the Shahab-3, a technological breakthrough in Iran's military industries.

Iran launched an arms development program during its 1980-88 war with Iraq to compensate for a U.S. weapons embargo. Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles and a fighter plane.

The military maneuvers are scheduled to last a week and will involve 17,000 members of the Revolutionary Guards as well as boats, fighter jets and helicopter gunships.

Comments

• Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Stupid me... I'm sitting here still wondering why we've not done the world a favor and turned Iran to glass.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a bluff.
    The Russians just now announced that they had a missile-dodging ICBM, and Iran is only 50 years behind or so. Unless there was some "trade" involved I doubt Iran came up with such a toy on their own.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    They just figured out how to build a solid fuel rocket last year, and now claim to have designed a rocket that can, "...simultaneously hit several targets, has near stealth capabilities with a high maneuverability, pinpoint accuracy and radar avoidance features"?

Yeah, right.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Iran on Friday successfully test-fired a missile that can avoid radar and hit several targets simultaneously, the airforce chief of the elite Revolutionary Guards said.

...if it had exploded on launch, the same thing would have been said...[;)]

B-52_ST_thumb.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who cares?

I fear Iran about as much as I fear Jimmy Carter
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    "Iran on Friday successfully test-fired a missile that can avoid radar and hit several targets simultaneously, the airforce chief of the elite Revolutionary Guards said."

Can it whiten your teeth and restore your hairline, too?[:p]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    "Iran on Friday successfully test-fired a missile that can avoid radar and hit several targets simultaneously, the airforce chief of the elite Revolutionary Guards said."

Can it whiten your teeth and restore your hairline, too?[:p]

Not only that, it lowers your mortgage rates and makes your BallPark Frank grow.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I suspect the new device, if it really exists, came from Russia. They most likely are using Iran as a testing ground.

Sig232
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a good enough reason to go whip their * too[}:)]
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    ok.... i think they are full of BS just like when the war in Iraq was just getting started we were hearing reports from the iraqi govt officials about all these places turning inot massive graveyards for the americans.... the americans were nowhere near bagdad etc.....
    I think shooting your mouth off with nothing but BS to back it up is part of their culture over there.

Even if they had developed it... thats no reason to kick their *.... we can develop weapons but they cant? china can but they cant?

Its like gun rights but on a national level and america is the police force that wants to be the only ones with guns.

New cold war.... possibly.... but the old one didnt turn out so bad the opponent spent themselves into oblivion and technology was advanced way forward(as it often is in war time... but cold war get the technology advancement without the loss of life)
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Multiple targets, pentrates vests too i bet!Sounds like an "assault missle" to me!
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, technically, there is no such thing as an "assault" missile.
    Do you call a baseball bat an "assault bat". Why no, of course not......[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Did anyone notice the name of the iranian general? hossein salami?
    sounds like someone is pulling our legs...and pounding their puds laughing[:0]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    CA sucks quote: we can develop weapons but they cant?

...your kidding right?? They are a third world crap hole...they have to buy and steal most of what technology they do have...I think it's all the sand...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CA Sucks,

It's not that Iran can't develop weapons, it's that it is highly unlikely they can develop weapons that are that sophisticated.

As far as I know, the only nations I know of that have missiles with multiple hit capability are Israel and the United States (mind you, we're talking about non-ICBMs).

Iran can barely manufacture helicopters, much less missiles it doesn't assemble and modify from imported kits. They simply don't have the experience, knowledge, or infrastructure to lead me to believe that they could develop anything other than the glorified Roman candles they have now.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"Today, a remarkable goal of the Islamic Republic of Iran's defence forces was realized with the successful test-firing of a new missile with greater technical and tactical capabilities than those previously produced," Gen. Hossein Salami said on state-run television.

"You bet" said General Salami. "There's nothing I enjoy more than watching my big long missle stand up, penetrate deeply into the rear behind enemy lines, then explode. Mind if I smoke?"

salami-1.jpg

Seriously, the Iranians have a lot of cash, so they could have bought missle technology from the Koreans or Russians.

But the fact that they are talking about this means its BS. You don't give away your nation's military secrets. . .this is saber rattling, and it means they are scared.
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    I was not saying I think they had the technical capability to make weapons like ours....

when i made this statement " we can develop weapons but they cant?"

it was in response to JustC's statement " sounds like a good enough reason to go whip their * too"

what right do we have to go to war just because another country arms itself.... we armed our self..... Russia armed itself... we didnt go to war with them even though they were an aggressive nation.

Iran as a nation is not aggressive(its significant extremist muslim whacko population may be)..... but I cannot see devolpment of a missle like this as a reason to go to war... any more than I can see your ownership of an "assault rifle"(hopefully putting it in quotations will keep DWS off my back) as a reason for the government to come and lock you up.

I think they have the right to develop a weapon such as this... but I doubt they have. Go back and read my post.... I compared the credibility of Iran's claims on this weapon to the credibility of Iraq's(when still under Saddams rule) claims about how well the war against the Americans was going.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a wonderful propaganda tool. Now that they have it, one of their rogue commanders will fire it at the U.S. Fleet giving us the perfect reason to teach Iranians the improved method of turning sand into glass.
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Frogbert
    Now, technically, there is no such thing as an "assault" missile.
    Do you call a baseball bat an "assault bat". Why no, of course not......[:D][:D][:D]

I do if it has spikes attached.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CA Sucks,

I stand corrected.

Of course, I do agree that every nation, like people, has the right to self defense.

But unlike neocons, I typically don't care what caliber other folks are defending themselves with.

To further that analogy, a neocon would assume that anyone carrying more than a BB gun is out to get them and must be shot on sight.[;)]
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    This is a set-up. our government is priming the pump getting emotions up so that we will go along with an invasion and providing reasons to justify it...opps hold on, someones at the door...oh poop!!!its the FBI[:D]
  • Options
    jackson231jackson231 Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we should bomb iran and set up military bases all over the country
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jackson,

Yeah, 'cause that's done wonders for us in Iraq...
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Probably bought the blueprints from Bill Clinton.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    quote:"Today, a remarkable goal of the Islamic Republic of Iran's defence forces was realized with the successful test-firing of a new missile with greater technical and tactical capabilities than those previously produced," Gen. Hossein Salami said on state-run television.

"You bet" said General Salami. "There's nothing I enjoy more than watching my big long missle stand up, penetrate deeply into the rear behind enemy lines, then explode. Mind if I smoke?"

salami-1.jpg

Seriously, the Iranians have a lot of cash, so they could have bought missle technology from the Koreans or Russians.

But the fact that they are talking about this means its BS. You don't give away your nation's military secrets. . .this is saber rattling, and it means they are scared.

Well put, and also, these infidels suddenly leap from their baseline technological equivalent of that of the Kamikazes promised the 72 virgins to that of the absolute epitome of modern warfare?

Or there is still a thing or two for which we should thank our "government."

Either that or;

ragheadbomb.jpg
    I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a picture of allah with a bomb on his head.