In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Only in Louisiana? Or do U have such antics, 2?

RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Two of our elected officials--state senators--are also "practicing lawyers" who have been retained by a fellow who is suing the state "Child Protective Services" for negligence in the death of his child. The little girl was living with her mother and step-grandfather at the time when she was beaten and otherwise abused which ultimately resulted in her death. I personally think the father has a legitimate case against the state agency. The case worker, from evidence and testimony given, clearly "dropped the ball" and allowed the child to stay in a dangerous, twisted situation.

My point, though, is this: Should state elected officials be HIRED to enter into lawsuit against the STATE for which they are otherwise employed? Just sounds kinda fishy to me...but then so does most of the political antics in Louisiana. [:(][B)][V]

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    nope, it screams of conflict of interest!!!

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't you hate the be the one to p#ss off a state senator in the court room? I think conflict of interest in an understatement!
  • Options
    nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    San Diego and Louisianna are clones of one another in this regard Ramtin. Our interm mayor (who replaced one who quit in disgarce) was just convicted for bribery, and forced to resign while he awaits sentencing. One of our esteamed congressmen, Randy "Duke" Cunningham was taking huge profits in shady real-estate dealings with defense contractors. I think this is our #1 problem, but the politicians are taking advantage of ideological differenses in the electorate to keep us from doing anything about it. I don't think most people think its a major problem. SOMOS ESTAMOS MEXICANOS!!!! We are like Mexicans in regard to the level of political corruption here.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Lewis Grizzard (God rest him) had a commentary on the difficulty of getting former Governor Edwin Edwards convicted of anything, when he was the biggest crook in the south.

He said, speaking of the juries involved, "It is dang near impossible to find 12 people in Louisiana who think it's wrong to steal."

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some years back we had a lady, Susan Golding, who was running for mayor. Her husband was convicted of laundering drug money, and it became obvious that a large portion of her campaign were financed with these illicit funds. Golding said she didn't know about it and divorced her husband who was going to prison. Then the brilliant people of San Diego elected her mayor.[V][xx(][:(!]

Edited to answer Ramtin. No, our politicians should not be allowed to work when there are issues of conflict of interest. We have the same problem with the politicians investingating our huge pension scandal. Assume that a politician is a crook and go friom there. Profiling at its best.