In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AIR POWERED CAR

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited March 2008 in General Discussion
Did anyone else see the report on this car. It runs strictly on air, go a couple hours and get an air fill up, top speed around 65 mph, cost between 6 and 8 grand, already in production in Europe,

Air is currently 25 cents at the stations, wonder how much Shell will charge for air, I can see it now, 125 PS1 2.95..[:D][:D][:o)][:o)]

By Jon Sopel
BBC Europe correspondent

Engineers in France believe they have come up with the answer that environmentalists and economists have spent years searching for: a commercially viable, non-polluting car, which costs next to nothing to run.
The latest prototype will be unveiled on Thursday at the Paris motor show.

Like everything else about this vehicle, it all sounds impossible.

When we went to the company's factory-*-design shop just outside Nice in the South of France a black blanket was put between us and it.

But we were told it has a steering wheel in the middle, with passenger seats either side, a boot the size of the biggest estate, but in overall size terms is no bigger than a Smart car.

aircar.jpg

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
Hudson.gif
900.gif

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GM shall call it the Balloon Car. One can use an on board air compressor to fill up.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A bunch more information for those that are curious.

http://www.globalstewards.org/aircar.htm

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DiscoveryChannel.ca | Video

fuel is approaching 4 bucks a gallon , where are the air cars .it would drop the price on gas for sure .................
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    GM shall call it the Balloon Car. One can use an on board air compressor to fill up.Hmm, this actually sounds feasible.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't need an air compressor to run it....I have Brandy [;)]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,869 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well if it runs on air, you could build a bus version, fill it with GB members and the thing would have a run away.
  • AZEXAZEX Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All "page not found" and red X's.

D.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    Well if it runs on air, you could build a bus version, fill it with GB members and the thing would have a run away.

Fill it up with Moderator's and it will make "poof poof poof" noises as it goes down the road.
  • meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, if it made one, loud, long fart noise as it drove by people, I'd buy one.

[:D]
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    now cover it with solar panels that power an air compressor while it sits in the drive way - preferably those new cheaper, flexible, and more efficient solar cells from nano-tech solar.
    Could also have a diesel or gasoline or ethanol motor run a compressor at your house
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A billion air compressors running on electricity would take how much oil, coal, etc. to operate? Bring back the Stanley Steamer. Burn your trash, burn alcohol, steam your rice while you run down to the 7-11 to pick up a pack of Camels and some Bud Light. [:D] Look, it doesn't matter what fantastic solution someone finally comes up with, it will cost the same as gas would have. Nothing will be free, and we won't see 19 cents a gallon gasoline again. I remember when it was even cheaper than that sometimes. If you could run a car on water, some tax or regulation would make it cost you $4 a gallon. In NC, our idiot Governor is even talking about some way to limit water use by people who have WELLS. WTH?
    edited November -1
    Well compressed air would allow nuclear power to power our cars.
    We should build more nuclear plants
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks
    Well compressed air would allow nuclear power to power our cars.
    We should build more nuclear plants
    I agree with that. But the minority loud mouthed enviro-maniacs would fight any new nuke plants just as they have stopped oil refineries from being built. That's one reason gas and fuel is so expensive. We also have hundreds of years worth of coal in this country. We could take care of ourselves if we didn't give away so much to the rest of the ungrateful world.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No free lunch. It takes energy to compress air, horsepower to run a car and electric power to run lights, AC and accessories.There is a conversion loss every time you convert from one form of power to another form.
    A serious sized compressed air tank will get you to the candy store.
    We bumped into a Stanley Steamer show near Daytona and saw some neat albeit old vehicles. Cruising range was limited by water capacity to around 100 miles.
    edited November -1
    Those air powered cars have a 300 mile range
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any of you think of the possibility that it just may take energy to produce air? You cannot create energy. You have to use what is already here. Compressed air is not free nor is it cheap.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    FWIW those vehicle were basically gutted. Start adding all the comforts we are accustom to and you'll probably add another 1/3rd onto the weight and another 1/3 drain on the power source for the radio, AC, and other power equipment. Not to mention in my neck of the woods in december, more than a little heat is nice. These things would have VERY limited application. They won't look sogood/promising then.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    Do any of you think of the possibility that it just may take energy to produce air? You cannot create energy. You have to use what is already here. Compressed air is not free nor is it cheap.
    As already pointed out..solar could help take care of some of the
    need. Plus, i see no reason wind turbines couldn't be incorporated..

With proper gearing, why couldn't this thing generate/compress it's
    own air as it goes..?
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Impossible.

It would be similar to mounting a fan on a sailboat to provide the wind.

You'd need a very high pressure containment tank (heavy) to hold liquefied air, an infrastructure to give quick refills or tank exchanges, and a good stereo to provide the sounds of a big block V8. Can't imagine getting thrilled by "hissss".

This is another spurious "something for nothing" approach.

"No free lunch"

Pay me now or pay me later.

The same people who are scammed by the so-called free government handout will buy into this one.

Doug
  • esendeleesendele Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a tv show with this on it. They make a gas version, when your air tank runs empty, a small gas motore powers the car and an on board compresser to recharge your air supply if you want more range, they said it gets 400miles/gal. I would get one! When I am working I don't need to carry a bunch. I put on 20,000 miles last year for work. At 3.10/gal, this car would cost me $155 a year to run in fuel. I would make back .33/mile = profit of $6445. Sounds good to me!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Jeez - That's like saying you are gonna buy a house with all the money you save at a Wal-Mart sale.

Doug
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 3,718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am begining to suppect that alot of you nay sayer people work for the oil industry. Anything said anti oil is fake or a lie, or not thought through. Everyone is dumb except you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Impossible.

It would be similar to mounting a fan on a sailboat to provide the wind.

Its not impossible if there is sufficient wind. In still air, yes, then that is impossible, unless you have immunity from the laws of physics.

But it is possible for a wind powered craft to go directly downwind, faster than the wind... its a weird thought, but 100% possible
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    FWIW those vehicle were basically gutted. Start adding all the comforts we are accustom to and you'll probably add another 1/3rd onto the weight and another 1/3 drain on the power source for the radio, AC, and other power equipment. Not to mention in my neck of the woods in december, more than a little heat is nice. These things would have VERY limited application. They won't look sogood/promising then.

Agreed, it is good for a temperate city. The adiabatic expansion of gas would actually cool the tank, you could have AC, but no heat.
    It could still run an alternator for fans, defrost and radio.
    A compressed air engine is much more efficient, as you don't spew out hot gas (thus wasting energy), this makes up for the loss in efficiency of compressing the gas, and then decompressing it.
    30-40% efficiency of IC engines is pretty cruddy
  • esendeleesendele Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all about keeping more money in my pocket. Hell, if I could save that much money in gas over the year, why not! I would keep my regular cars for Winter and my truck for yard work.
    edited November -1
    Some of you are not thinking clearly.

YOU CANNOT CREATE ENERGY!!!

Running down the road creating your own power? Get real. If it takes 100 HP to make your hupmobile go 50 miles per hour on gas then it is going to take 100 HP of any other energy. A "small" compressor to compress air as you go? Laughable. You will extend your range and that is all and in the end it will take just as much energy. A rule of thumb says 1 HP will create 3.5 CFM of air at 100 psi. How much air will your hupmobile require? Do the math. No I don't own stock in any thing. All my money is in the bank. I wish you guys were right because I'm in the same boat that you are. The perpetuial motion machine that one guy is talking about would be fantastic! I have been trying to build one all my life and so has thousands of other people. I believe an electric car with batteries far more advanced than they are now plus energy extracted from the sun on a large scale to charge them very fast at electric stations is the answer. It won't happen until we run out of fossil fuels though. Now for all you paranoid types that think the oil companys and the government are keeping us from getting that engine that gets a million miles to the gallon, BULL CRAP!! [:)]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    Some of you are not thinking clearly.

YOU CANNOT CREATE ENERGY!!!

Running down the road creating your own power? Get real. If it takes 100 HP to make your hupmobile go 50 miles per hour on gas then it is going to take 100 HP of any other energy. A "small" compressor to compress air as you go? Laughable. You will extend your range and that is all and in the end it will take just as much energy. A rule of thumb says 1 HP will create 3.5 CFM of air at 100 psi. How much air will your hupmobile require? Do the math. No I don't own stock in any thing. All my money is in the bank. I wish you guys were right because I'm in the same boat that you are. The perpetuial motion machine that one guy is talking about would be fantastic! I have been trying to build one all my life and so has thousands of other people. I believe an electric car with batteries far more advanced than they are now plus energy extracted from the sun on a large scale to charge them very fast at electric stations is the answer. It won't happen until we run out of fossil fuels though. Now for all you paranoid types that think the oil companys and the government are keeping us from getting that engine that gets a million miles to the gallon, BULL CRAP!! [:)]

Damn, what is the saying about a blind pig and acorns? You done good Pop. Don
    edited November -1
    I design and build some pretty impressive machines Don. I'm more than just a pretty face you know![:)]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    I don't need an air compressor to run it....I have Brandy beans!![;)]

[}:)]
    edited November -1
    Maybe someone will find the answer before that asteroid hits the Earth and kills us all, I don't really know. But I can promise you that when vehicles can get 100 miles to the gallon of whatever, a gallon will cost you $50. All relative. About the money.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can I get a nitrogen or helium supercharger?
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it make the same noise as the Jetsons car did?[:D]
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEAT from bearings (friction) has and will remain the Achilles heel of a perpetual motion machine. To answer the question about gearing to "generate (energy can neither be created nor destroyed. All "we" can do is convert it from one form to another) /compress it's
    own air as it goes..?" The simple answer is NO. And that is due to the conversion of mechanical energy (compressed air in this case) into heat.
    edited November -1
    Liquid nitrogen has some possibilities. It will expand over 900 times its volume and reach 30000 PSI! Completely non polluting. Right now we pay less than fifty cents a gallon for it. It is a by product of making oxygen for the steel mills. I think about 78% of what we breathe is nitrogen. Did a lot of research with it years ago.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rosie and V35 - you spoilsports.

You are most accurate in the definition of getting mass up to speed and continuously fighting aerodynamic drag when there - one requires horsepower.

The best alternative for the future and one to eliminate the tyranny of oil is the nuke. Gotta get back to em. Sorry greenies but you guys need to take your lumps on this; you were responsible for the malaise in making electricity cleanly available. For shame!

Now if the world really wants (needs?) energy for anything, the nuke had better provide it. The compressed air car is simply a way for the 3rd world to get a non smog bus and whoever did the PR on it should be selling snake oil.