In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Michael Jackson...why so much support?

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
Anybody else getting tired of seeing this clown on tv every night waving a peace symbol to huge crowds of screaming fans? Why does he get so much support? Without trying to be judge jury and executioner here, I've seen and heard enough evidence myself just from the news to guess ( 99% sure) that this wacko is completely capable of doing what he's accused of.
Now lets look at the supporters. Either A. They truly believe he's innocent, B. Are completely naieve to the facts that have been presented or C. Figure he's guilty but he's 'above' being punished because of his celebrity status. All 3 possibilities are troubling to me. These people are idiots. He should have no support and I hope I never run into one of them.

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D. Old footage.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think so. I just saw him on the news again. They said he wore all white today and showed him coming out of a car in all white waving to a large group of fans behind a fence.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    He has a lot of support in foreign countries... which only lends credence to my theory that outside the US, common sense is a rarity.

iLoveMN.jpg
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since I prefer to live in a cave and ignore such peripheral activities, I was amused recently when I saw a headline that "Jackson" was objecting to all the unfavorable press. I thought about it for a while- Who Jackson- Haven't heard of any bad press for Reggie, even though he forgot all about his origins in Oakland when he got the chance to rub brass shoulders with Joltin'Joe and the Babe; I could be Jesse- but he was getting no mofre bad pfress than usual, by the few presses that will print something objective about him; seriously doubt if it was andrew- even if he was getting bad press, he's not in a position to complain; Maybe it was Keith Jackson- the fellow that announced his retirement from announcing college football games a few years ago, but still shows up when the game starts. But that isn't likely to get a headline- then there was that girl Jackson that was competing for air time by having part of her costume removed during the halftime show of last year NFL championship game- Oh but then there's her brother, the weasel from the Jackson Five- that must be the guy; So is he getting cheers from adolescents? And people wonder why I pay little attention to the "news".
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to remove all doubt as to his guilt, read the court papers here.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/010605jackson.html

I would c&p it but, too graphic, it would get poofed.
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Why so much support?Because today in this society,being queer and or perverted is considered acceptable.
  • Options
    mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another example of why you don't believe everything you read. Every intelligent person knows the liberal, thrill seeking press will write anything for a buck.

I make no defense for this man whatsoever. But guilty or not, I don't see how he can get a fair trial. I believe it is to be televised. Every juror is automatically a celebrity (think of the book deals that will come out of this).

And most importantly, if he is guilty, then all of the parents should be indicted for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, their own child. I do believe there are people out there sick enough to try and get at this man's money by any and all means.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Stockholm Syndrome.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Cause he's their "Sugar Daddy".
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all I've been told that Jackson's PR machine has been known to *HIRE* people to appear whereever he appears waving flags and looking supportive. Why else would these "spontaneous rallies" occur everywhere he goes? (Think about it. . .who else does that happen for?)

His camp knows how to use the press, and they do. I don't know what his finance looks like now, but at one point he was the richest entertainer in the world with a net worth estimated at $750 million. That wasn't all from his music; much of it was from savvy music-related business investments, such as the acquisition of the legal rights to the Beatles catalog. Nowadays Jackson's fortune is probably significantly depleted; probably "only" to levels of $350 million net worth.

Why do others support him? First of all, he legitimately is (or at least was in the 80s) an international music superstar. Remember "Beat it" "Billie Jean" "We are the World"? The number of Black superstars isn't very high (OJ Simpson, of course, being another one), and so in a population that really is discriminated against, Jackson gets lionized.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More on Michael Jacksons personal finance:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/20/news/companies/michael_jackson/

Personally I find that stuff to more interesting that sordid allegations of child sexual abuse. He'll have his day in court, then everyone will be able to see what the actual evidence is (rather than strategically "leaked" allegations designed to taint the jury pool).

quote:
    Anybody else getting tired of seeing this clown on tv every night waving a peace symbol to huge crowds of screaming fans? Why does he get so much support? Without trying to be judge jury and executioner here, I've seen and heard enough evidence myself just from the news to guess ( 99% sure) that this wacko is completely capable of doing what he's accused of.
    Now lets look at the supporters. Either A. They truly believe he's innocent, B. Are completely naieve to the facts that have been presented or C. Figure he's guilty but he's 'above' being punished because of his celebrity status. All 3 possibilities are troubling to me. These people are idiots. He should have no support and I hope I never run into one of them.

You probably run into people who believe in UFOs, ghosts, and bogeymen all the time; what's the big deal?

If the case against Jackson is so strong, why was it necessary to "leak" the allegations to the press?

Sure, the guy is nuts. . .it doesn't take much more than a look at his face to demonstrate that. . .but saying he's "capable" of child abuse is disingenuous. Either he did it, or he didn't do it, and the State of CA will have plenty of chance to make its case at trial.

I haven't read all the lurid allegations, but whether or not he is a child molestor (and personally I lean towards the latter), I actually have a funny feeling that Jackson is going to beat most of this. Without good physical evidence of abuse (which I think is probably absent), its ultimately going to come down to his word against that of child accusers. Toss in the inevitable smearing of the accusers as money-grubbers and that kind of thing usually doesn't meet the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of proof.
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bet if he were black he wouldn't get as much support[;)]

cody
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    old single shots has it. I agree

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ameriskin
    i bet if he were black he wouldn't get as much support[;)]

cody

The Strange thing is, you're probably right.

Ben
  • Options
    sky_Divesky_Dive Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw his sister Janet on TV the other day, in the interview she was trying to spin this thing in favor of her brother. She ended by saying how much Michael LOVES children. I couldn't stop from laughing out loud. I thought, she's right there, he really loves children.

M-X Coordinates:
    Lat: 35 41 N
    Long: 51 25 E

nuclearcloud.gif
    good bye Mary
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this country, a person is presumed innocent until 12 people say he is guilty in a court of law. It is those 12 people, and them alone who have the power to determine a person's innocence or guilt. Not the lawyers, not the judge, not even the people, just those 12 jurors.
    Until you have been in the courtroom for the whole proceeding, heard ALL of the testimony, have been given the proper and complete jury instructions, none of you have any right to say he's guilty or innocent.
    I'd ask how many of you have ever served as a juror in a criminal case---I'd bet very few of you.
  • Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    He's a creep! I hope they lock him up....but you know they won't![:(!]

heat1.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    The leaked evidence brought forth so far is disturbing and utterly repulsive. If these allegations are true of Michael they should put him away for life.

Regardless of it all however he is innocent until proven guilty.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither being a creep nor being a phreek is against the law. He may be repugnant, but he is innocent until proven and and judged guilty. What do you care who likes or supports him?
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably curiosity. I don't personally know anyone that likes him. I, too, wonder where all his fans come from.

Phil

I learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer you question... it's the money. All this exposure is just free press, doesn't matter whether it's good or bad, it just keeps the creep's name in front of the public, ie., the buyers of his music, video's, etc.

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little grumpy there, He Dog?

Phil

I learn something new everyday.