In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Manufacture date Smith and Wesson

sydnatsydnat Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
Hi. I need some help identifying and pricing a smith and wesson model 10 38 cal. The serial number is c 474-xxx. It is in excellent condition with original box (also in excellent condition) and all brochures. What year would this have been manufactured? Is that important for pricing? It belonged to my grandfather and I am trying to help my 93 year old grandmother sell it.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 10 is one of the most popular K-frame Smith and Wesson revolvers. They started calling them the Model 10 sometime in mid fifties. Also removed a identifying screw from infront of the trigger guard around the same time. It would help to see these details. It's not a rare handgun, but if it's in great shape, in the original box with papers etc. it will bring a premium. I'm guesssing $250 to $300.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys on http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/ live and breath for opportinities to date a gun.
  • Options
    sydnatsydnat Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey quikdraw...Here are the answers to your questions:
    The box is blue
    No Bangor Punta
    The grips have diamonds
    And, on the entire gun I see 5 screws. I have lots of pictures but couldn't get them to attach tomy message. Oh and yes it has something that looks like a cleaning brush/rod. As for why to sell, my grandmother is not comfortable having them in her new apartment with people in and out all of the time, and i am not somfortable having one in my home with small children. Classic response from a 'non-gun owning' person! Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with quickdraw, you should try to keep your family heirloom revolver in the family. Doesn't your Grandma have any jewelry you can pawn or some antique furniture she wouldn't miss?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sydnat, Standard Catalog ofr SMITH & WESSON (Second Edition) says in excellent condition your Model 10 is worth $250.00. The Blue Book of Gun Values (25th Anniversary Edition) say it's worth $270.00 in 98% condition. That serial number should have a "C" prefix. The Model number should be 10-2, 10-3 or 10-4. Most likely 10-2 or 10-3. If this is correct your revolver was made between 1960 and 1962. The box and paper work does make it more desirable. Hope this is helpful.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.