In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey Winchester guys....

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I got hold of the seller, I can get this rifle for 2250...is it worth it? I have nothing to compare it to

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128722848

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    limited production remakes are hard to price, realy nice to look at. OK for a Japanese Winny
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I got hold of the seller, I can get this rifle for 2250...is it worth it? I have nothing to compare it to

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128722848

The question is: is it worth it TO YOU?

Once one sells for that price, then that becomes the new value. Until another identical one sells cheaper of course.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Bought a high grade one of '75' 44-40 94 a few yers back and sold it after the New Haven plant closed. Call the Cody Museum in Wyoming. They helped me put a value on my gun. Dont have a number for them tho.Google Winchester Collecters. Might see something there. I think Miroku built them.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Scott -Go to the GB side (Using VERSION 2) type 'Winchester Hi Grade'in search field. Then select auctions that have ended in the last 90days. Bout a page of Winchester Hi Grades there. ? You may see your gun there. Look at the closed auctions that actually "SOLD". This will give you an idea what other people are paying for the gun you want.[;)]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I would put that money into a pre-64 Winny first. The market for these newer ones has not really been established to well.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    limited production remakes are hard to price, realy nice to look at. OK for a Japanese Winny

these were made in begium, special run for the european market only.
    I agree with your assessment on comparables and honestly I am happy to see it bid to $1600 in this economy, it tells me the gun does have some real value.

cartod
    Advanced Member
    13176 Posts
    Posted - 05/15/2009 : 09:58:11 AM

I would put that money into a pre-64 Winny first. The market for these newer ones has not really been established to well.

I tend to agree with you, I think of some of the really special winchesters I have had, and they are a sure bet for investing, on the other hand I have bought some that looked great and turned out to have replacement parts, cut down barrels, improper sights and reblue jobs that, while excellent, reduced the value significantly.
    This rifle is one of 20 made in a special run, something I would put in a glass case and hang on the wall so I need to compare it to an original print by a well known artist more than to a gun...or maybe to a gun like a browning custom shop A-5 or TD-22 grade 6...how much did you pay for that one? Last one I had, I sold for 3800 without the hartman case but with the original box.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post this question over at the " Experts " forum , if anyone knows it would be Bert H. , he's the Winchester guy !!!!
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:these were made in begium, special run for the european market only.

If you look at the 5th pic , looks like it has " Made in Japan " marked on the barrel .
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H

If you look at the 5th pic , looks like it has " Made in Japan " marked on the barrel .

Yep. It might have been made FOR the European market but it was made IN Japan. Look closely at the barrel stamp.

pix1055556531.jpg
    edited November -1
    Looks like the elevator on the sight is set to shoot at 1000 yards. [:D]
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H

youre right, I reread the ad and looked at the picture...I mistook made for european market and "warehouse in belgium" to mean made in belgium...good eye.
    I thinkl the gun would have to bid alot closer to his reserve before I would consider it. with the economy going the way it is, I want to be able to sell anything I own in a few days notice and not lose my butt, I have my mind set on bigger investments and easy liquidity is important. I think this one is a loser as an investment.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    But it sure is pretty.

Doug
    edited November -1
    Hold out for something like this.

46099406c771ad462d1591732cd01d6e.jpg