In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Liberty gun safe any good? Link

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
I can get this safe for 799 at the gun show, seems to be rated for fire rather well is it one that can be cracked like the u tube video? http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_colonial.php
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lincoln 35, they are great safes. The link you posted only showing two sides of bolts. I think all four sides is better, it gives all around fire coverage. I don't know the going price on those, but I paid 1800 for my Lincoln 35. If you buy it and bolt it down, thats for sure.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got two and would buy another one if needed. That is a good price.
  • Options
    8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Canon a National Magnum and a Liberty Lincoln. The Liberty is a very good safe for the money.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'm stuck w/dialup, so can't view much on U-tube-my impression of what they show is a coupla folks tossing a safe on the ground, smashing a hole in the back with an axe or log splitter, then using the Jaws Of Life to pry open enough to see what's all broken inside.
    Liberty Safes are well-made, concealed-hinge, thick steel, drill-protected (some have REAL bearings embedded in steel matrix), relocker enabled security cabinets for the nervous homeowner. The only way to get a more secure and theft-proof box would be to spend thousands more on a Jewelers' safe/vault that your guns won't fit in.
    That said, if you leave it unlocked, or missing just the last number of the combo, or show it to everyone who visits, or are otherwise unsecure with your new acquisition; SOMEbody's gonna hear about the "guy with that new gun safe-those guns must be worth some REAL cash!", and try to rob you.
    Most safes are safe enough to thwart a really determined amateur burglar or 2, but if you run across a Pro that doesn't take his time in your house with a composite wheel and some shaving cream; he'll get it open in about 3 minutes, so have an alarm or backup alert system to give yourself the most likely chance at succeeding in keeping whatever you put in them.
  • Options
    hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    if you note in the video, they lay the safe down, and attack it from the side the door opens.

1) bolt that puppy down,

2) if possible, put the door close to a wall
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Are you looking at the 23 or the 30? I think you could do better than that price at a local farm and home, at least in my area you can. My advice, get bigger than you think you will ever need. Then in a coupla years you will be buying another one.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks told me the same thing when I bought. Buy one twice the size that you need. I did....and its full!
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    99.99999% of any decent safe will keep your guns out of the hands of robbers, now a fire is another thing.