In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Don Mcmanus

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Don,

While working on some genealogy a day or two back, I was looking at a map of Rowan County, NC, and I found a whole lot of McManus family landowners, 1750-1800 era, clustered together just west of Salisbury nearby Second Creek, just south of Beaver Dam Branch. Are you connected to these folks, or do you know?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know you had said at one time you were an editor of Field and Stream (if I remember right).

I have allways wondered, are you related to Patrick?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yer turn to check your mail.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Check yer mail again please.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sent you an email.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have we been "poofed", or am I having a senior moment?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How'd the FN shoot? I'm looking at those along with the S&W M&P 9 Pro and some others. Maybe even a Glock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don,
    How are you doing health wise. I know you had a pretty tough time of it not so long ago. Have you healed up from your surgeries?

You must have paid surgeons and hospitals enough to take a trip to the moon and back on Elton Musk's space ship by now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you still worshipping that false prophet Katherine Janeway?

Are you still blind to the fact that Jean-Luc Picard is the Chosen One?

Are you ready to renounce your herectic ways with Janewayism, and are ready to take up the TRUE FAITH of Picardism?

I will make a place at my table and rejoice if you have finally seen the light, my friend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I were to have guessed, it'd be 1-2-3-4-5.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I Saw Your Name On the Today show This AM
    it was On A Twitter Thing For Dancing Man
    You were On the Today Show Buddy, How Cool is that[:o)][:o)]
    Woody
    It Was A Tweet From Don McManus
    Was that You????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You mentioned you had a couple Coonans...

How do you like those 357Mag Autos?

Anything specific good or bad worth mentioning??

I'm intrigued about the 357Mag Auto myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did You get My Email[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don, do you think your state will go McCain or OBama?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone seen 'im lately? He didn't get dragged off to another Celine Dion concert did he?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Didn't I see a FedEx logo on the auction side site a while ago?

Is there a relationship of sorts between GB and FedEx?

If so, I can understand the poof, as it becomes an issue with the bill paying portion, and I would recommend switching your complaint to UPS.

gb and fedex have partnered to provide shipping services for gb auctions. evidently, this is supposed to benefit us in some way. so yes, there is a connection between gb and fedex.

i was told in a similar thread recently that ups was invited but declined.

anyway, thats the answer to your question. i didnt see the other thread before it was locked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I missed this, Bruce.

I think I am closer to paying for the Mars trip in 2024, something I probably would not be eligible for due to my health issues.

I am current in a stable state that is not great, but one hell of a lot better than I have been over the past two years, and one hell of a lot better off than a lot of folks even on this board.

Will have an ostomy bag for the rest of my life and it looks like a low-grade infection a space where the first surgery left an abscess that will probably never completely go away. Doctors have told me that I could go on antibiotics for the rest of my life or have a drain installed which will constantly relieve the abscess and keep it contained to where it is. I went with the drain, and have, for the last year been completely free of any prescription drugs.

A very good thing, because for 25-odd years I was taking medication that was tough on the liver. Now I can abuse my liver in much more enjoyable ways.

All in all, life is good. There are physical things I will never be able to do again, but that would have happened in 10 years anyway, so not a huge deal. Have the annoyance of maintaining things every 3 - 4 days which is just half an hour, so again, no big deal.

Oddly the thing that bothers me the most is that I can no longer wear my shirts tucked in. I have always tried to look well kept (silk purse/sow's ear kind of thing) but now, even with the shirts that are designed to be worn un-tucked, still feel like a bit of a slob.

Again, no big deal.

It would have been nice had it not happened, but it did, and while I will never be what I was, I am happy where I am, and can do almost everything I want to do.

I get the impression your neck surgery was successful? I would think having some cranial mobility is important in your airborne pursuits. Hope this is the case for you.

Thanks for asking.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like and admire your attitude, Don.....
    Good luck with your health in the future.
    Ed
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Ed said, Don!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don, I am glad for your successful adaptation to your condition.[^][^]

My business partner had an ostomy and we just adapted what we did around it, his stoma location was such that he could tuck in his shirts, Gary was also a man that dressed well, I understand your frustration leaving shirts un-tucked.

The courage of people on this board while facing the hurdles they do is truly testimony to will power and perseverance. I salute all of them and that includes you.

I will toast you next time I have a snort or two; here is to our livers, may they enjoy what they are about to receive!

My neck is no big deal; it just does not turn or move up or down. It gives me no issues while flying for a simple reason. My body is so long it prevents me from seeing out the side windows! I look directly at the wing root. I just lean forward and check for traffic out the front window.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Don, I am glad for your successful adaptation to your condition.[^][^]

My business partner had an ostomy and we just adapted what we did around it, his stoma location was such that he could tuck in his shirts, Gary was also a man that dressed well, I understand your frustration leaving shirts un-tucked.

The courage of people on this board while facing the hurdles they do is truly testimony to will power and perseverance. I salute all of them and that includes you.

I will toast you next time I have a snort or two; here is to our livers, may they enjoy what they are about to receive!

My neck is no big deal; it just does not turn or move up or down. It gives me no issues while flying for a simple reason. My body is so long it prevents me from seeing out the side windows! I look directly at the wing root. I just lean forward and check for traffic out the front window.[:)]

With (or without) your permission, Bruce, I will include you in that salute, though may pass on flying with you.[:)] Have taken a liking to a good single malt scotch every now an again, and am currently involved with an 18 year old Glenmorangie. It has been about 40 years since I was involved with an 18 year old.[:I]

To you, my friend and all here that, like you, look forward rather than backward.

Don

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Lemme know, Don, when we can meet up for drinks (or whatever).[:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don, you and others on this board are a true inspiration.
    I for one am glad to know you.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don...

I see you - see your adaptation and your resolve and your pain...

The abscess issue is fraught with peril - I went 3 rounds with mrsa related infected abscesses...

There are a few things no one should ever experience...

Mrsa or super antibiotic resistant infection and abscess...

The treatment regimen is absolutely brutal (vancomicin - daptomicin - cubicin) and is more likely to cause an unpleasant lingering death than cure you...

Colon rectal cancer or lung cancer (above stage III)...

The treatment regimen is astoundingly brutal (targeted radiation therapy and chemotherapy - especially platinum based oxaliplatin regimens...

3rd degree burns - bone cancer / osteocarcenoma...

The brutal medieval treatments - skin grafts - keylation therapy - amputation - bone marrow treatments can be worse that the underlying illness...

I am 2 for 3 now...

The staff infections were supposed to kill me - they did not.

The cancer is supposed to be terminal - I am supposed to be dead already - but as of today I am not...

Very few people can imagine the unspeakable suffering you have endured - even fewer could or would survive the illness and the treatments...

I certainly question some days Whether it's been worth it or how much more a can endure physically or am willing to endure mentally...

I do not pity you - instead I salute you.

I may feel sorry for you - as I think I understand the hardship you have endured and the Supreme battle for survival you have engaged in.

For what it's worth go with God - may your future be about adaptation and survival and regaining normalcy - not a constant unending uphill battle against mind altering pain and ilness.

Get well - be well - stay well

Mike
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you are doing well, Don. I too have been wondering how things were going.

I smiled as I read about your issue with untucked shirts. A very good friend of mine had an ostomy procedure when we were 26. He had always been a snappy dresser and was kinda bummed at losing some ability to dress as he had. We finally got about 92.5% snockered one night and had a deep discussion about what exactly was really important.

All in all, he has not been quite so dapper, but I and his family have had my friend for 31 years that he likely wouldn't have had otherwise.

I imagine your family and friends are likewise more than happy to have you today, even if you are a bit unkempt. [;)]

Be well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Don...

I see you - see your adaptation and your resolve and your pain...

The abscess issue is fraught with peril - I went 3 rounds with mrsa related infected abscesses...

There are a few things no one should ever experience...

Mrsa or super antibiotic resistant infection and abscess...

The treatment regimen is absolutely brutal (vancomicin - daptomicin - cubicin) and is more likely to cause an unpleasant lingering death than cure you...

Colon rectal cancer or lung cancer (above stage III)...

The treatment regimen is astoundingly brutal (targeted radiation therapy and chemotherapy - especially platinum based oxaliplatin regimens...

3rd degree burns - bone cancer / osteocarcenoma...

The brutal medieval treatments - skin grafts - keylation therapy - amputation - bone marrow treatments can be worse that the underlying illness...

I am 2 for 3 now...

The staff infections were supposed to kill me - they did not.

The cancer is supposed to be terminal - I am supposed to be dead already - but as of today I am not...

Very few people can imagine the unspeakable suffering you have endured - even fewer could or would survive the illness and the treatments...

I certainly question some days Whether it's been worth it or how much more a can endure physically or am willing to endure mentally...

I do not pity you - instead I salute you.

I may feel sorry for you - as I think I understand the hardship you have endured and the Supreme battle for survival you have engaged in.

For what it's worth go with God - may your future be about adaptation and survival and regaining normalcy - not a constant unending uphill battle against mind altering pain and ilness.

Get well - be well - stay well

Mike

I too have had four or five bouts with mrsa during the past two years. One was a problem as it was within the surgery site and required an additional surgery to clean it up. The others were more superficial, and resembled more of an ugly boil. The first one I had lanced by my surgeon, but the remainder have lanced and treated myself, primarily because I now know what to look for and how to handle it. I catch them now when they resemble a large pimple, and aggressively open them, drain them and beat them into submission.[:)]

You are enduring a hell of a lot more than I have gone through, Mike, and there really is no comparison. I admire your spirit and how you continue to give of yourself and your time. I only looked mortality in the face for a few days while being fed through a tube in my chest, but even then, didn't give an audience to any other outcome than me coming out OK, thus never actually faced it.

I think of you often, as well as others here that are facing challenges I cannot imagine.

Stay strong and get well.

Don

Brad Steele
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    All of you Guys, humble me mightily, with your upbeat attitude, resolve to make the best of it, all while going out of your way to help other people.

You are all an inspiration to me, to do better, be better, and become a better Man.

Thank you.

-Ken-
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None of us will ever be what we once were Don.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I am going out I might as well do it with my head held high doing needful things for those worse off and deserving of assistance...

I am afraid of death - more so than pain and suffering at this point...

My mortality keeps me up late at night and drains my heart and soul some days...

But I will continue to help other travelers who walk this road with me...

I may falter - I may stumble - I may have a morning were i simply slip loose of my ever tenuous grasp on this side of the mortal coil...

But should that occur i face the moment knowing I have done my best - fought the good fight - and hopefully having made an impact with some of the children on the pediatric oncology ward...

I don't know what else I can do - what other positive options that I have left open to me...

As of now I face the day - some days staring death in the face with implacable resolve...

Some days racked with fear and pain - an emotional mess.

That's the raw truth of it.

Mike
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    All of you Guys, humble me mightily, with your upbeat attitude, resolve to make the best of it, all while going out of your way to help other people.

You are all an inspiration to me, to do better, be better, and become a better Man.

Thank you.

-Ken-

My Gosh Bravo I Can't Say this Any Better Myself
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We have - as noted by their behavior and attitude and outlook and moral fortitude some genuine heros on this board - noble scions worthy our respect and deserving of laurels for there charitable and philanthropic good deeds...

Most of whom suffer in silence - carrying their burden and sharing the weight of others who are in need in quiet anonymity...

These are truly good people - deserving of respect and support.

Mike
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1