In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any of y'all ever tried...

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited March 2008 in General Discussion
slow cookin your pork shoulder/butts in a slow-cooker/crock-pot? Wife wants pulled pork BBQ for Sunday dinner. I was wonderin if i could get-away with doin it in the crock, instead of firin-up the dang smoker.
I done rubbed it all down w/ fat freddys,onion,garlic powder. A little cyanne and brn sugar. i could put a t-spoon or so of likkid-smoke in there too i guess...
Any ideas/recomendations? (other that firin-up the smoker)[;)]

Comments

• Options
    AHansenAHansen Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love crock pot pork, we just put it in and let it slowly cook all day. the meat is soft and tender and just falls off the bones and is so good. Go with the slow cooker.
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    We use a clay pot in the oven - and let it cook covered with seasoning for tacos. Dang - you got my mouth watering!!!!!
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cant beat a crock pot for slow cooking pork or beef.

Keep a small amount of the juices to keep the meat moist with. For once a cut of meat is removed from the cooker, Then pulled or chopped and placed in a bowel or on a plate. It tends to dry out somewhat at times.

We were planning to cook up three deer tender loins in a crock for tomorrow night.

Never did it myself. But have heard that if you cook potatoes and/or onions with meat in a crock. Quartered apples will keep the potatoes and onions from turning brown. We have never worried about it enough to add the apples.
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Put very little water in. I have a 6 quart crock pot and I only put 1/2 cup of water in and cook on low for about 10 - 12 hours. Remove the butt and save the juice. Put the butt back in the crock pot with whatever bbq sauce you want to use. Mix it up with a fork. it will shred easily. Let it cook about another hour and add the juice to suit your fancy. I personally prefer the Jack Daniels Honey brown sugar sauce. I've got a 10 lb. butt in the fridge now waiting for Sunday. It makes the house smell wonderful, too. I tried it with a whole onion and couldn't really tell anything better and I love onions. Boston butts here are usually on sale at Ingles for 98 cents a pound and a big hit with the whole family.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crock pots are a wonderful cooking device. We use ours a lot!
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    The wife likes to make a Mexican dish called "chalupa," a pork roast cooked down with green chiles. It's a good winter dish, which is too bad 'cause I'd like to try it in a dutch oven. But that's summertime cooking.

Crock pots are handy, but if we're home to tend it a cast iron pot in the oven works great.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    replace the water with sweet sue chicken broth, sweet sue is very light, and will not flavor the meat like chicken but preserve the true flavor of the meat, trust me you won't be sorry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    replace the water with sweet sue chicken broth, sweet sue is very light, and will not flavor the meat like chicken but preserve the true flavor of the meat, trust me you won't be sorry

10-4!!! I just picked me up a can of lo-sodmium chix brothel. gunna put'bout 1/2 in wit it...[;)]nuthin else doe!!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A slow cooker is the greatest for almost EVERYTHING....stews, roasts, ribs, chicken, soups, chilie etc....cant beat it...

You can buy the toughest cheapest cuts and they will be so tender when done and so tasty as well...Seems the more tough cuts have the most flavor...*LOL

BR not classic
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Yep what he said[;)]
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    A slow cooker is the greatest for almost EVERYTHING....stews, roasts, ribs, chicken, soups, chilie etc....cant beat it...

You can buy the toughest cheapest cuts and they will be so tender when done and so tasty as well...Seems the more tough cuts have the most flavor...*LOL

BR not classic
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    This thread made me hungry for slow cooked pork. I just put it on. I use the ceramic dish thats in the electric crock pot, and put it on the wood stove.

DSCF0065-2.jpg

DSCF0066-1.jpg
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    This thread made me hungry for slow cooked pork. I just put it on. I use the ceramic dish thats in the electric crock pot, and put it on the wood stove.

DSCF0065-2.jpg

Supper is around 5PM at my house... that ain't going to be done by then.[}:)] BTW... I use to cook alot of food off the top of our woodstove.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As a good Catholic, I will wait to eat it until tomorrow. Fish tonight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That should do good on the W/stove. I didn't see a T-pot sittin on it. Don't you keep a pot of water simmerin on there, for some humidity? I bet my Bro. Barry has a pot of Venison/every left-over in the fridge stew sittin on the w/stove up in Jersey too. Used to be a "friday night ritual. We always kept a pan of H20 on too.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    Put very little water in. I have a 6 quart crock pot and I only put 1/2 cup of water in and cook on low for about 10 - 12 hours. Remove the butt and save the juice. Put the butt back in the crock pot with whatever bbq sauce you want to use. Mix it up with a fork. it will shred easily. Let it cook about another hour and add the juice to suit your fancy. I personally prefer the Jack Daniels Honey brown sugar sauce. I've got a 10 lb. butt in the fridge now waiting for Sunday. It makes the house smell wonderful, too. I tried it with a whole onion and couldn't really tell anything better and I love onions. Boston butts here are usually on sale at Ingles for 98 cents a pound and a big hit with the whole family.

I could have lived with less info! [:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    10lb. butt..... thats kinda "PETITE" isn't it? lol
  • Options
    EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has 8 crock-pots. All different sizes metal and ceramic. Just turn it on and go on with the day,...done perfect.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Almost 24 hrs later.

DSCF0067-1.jpg