In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Powder and ball handgun ?

joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
was thinking about purchasing one just for fun. i know u can get one for around 150 but is there any brand, cal, or features i should look at, i have no knowledge of these type of handguns. i am looking for quality and i just plan on firing it at the range, not going to carry for hunting.

RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS IS NOT A RIGHT!!!IT IS SELF PRESERVATION, SELF RELIANCE, ITS YOUR MAKER!!! (LIFE OR DEATH)

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I've had a replica Remington 1858 .44 for
    about 40 years and have loved it! I'm getting
    a cylinder conversion kit so I can shoot
    cowboy loads. I like the .44 much more than
    the .36 caliber ball.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    know the price they go for now and are they hard to load, haven't really had the chance to go in and check one out at the gun shop, oh forgot can u get different size cylinders like a six vs. 8 shot?

RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS IS NOT A RIGHT!!!IT IS SELF PRESERVATION, SELF RELIANCE, ITS YOUR MAKER!!! (LIFE OR DEATH)
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    "I am looking for quality"
    R1-14-c.jpg
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote: "I am looking for quality"

Rugers are great! I have many but I like to
    stay as historically accurate as possible.
    Just a personal preference.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badwrench
    Been toying with the idea of getting a cap-and-ball revolver, but I also want some kind of stonking, dirty-big horse pistol. Saw an Oregon Barrel Co. 12-gauge 10" smoothbore, but I would have to do all the woodwork, and I don't really have the patience for nice inletting, samding, etc.

This should fit the bill. I have wanted one for a long time but
    I have been looking for a used one at maybe around four hundred.
    I sure hope they haven't gone up this much while I have been looking.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40630339#PIC
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought one of the ones out of cabelas, the confederate revolver. it shoots really well, i was surprised by the accuracy of the thing. they are made by uberti. they are pretty good, especially for the price. it is a .44. if i remember correctly, i filled up an empty 45 long colt casing with black powder and shot the balls they sent. hit a 6 inch steel circle at 25 yards practically every time.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    quote: "I am looking for quality"

Rugers are great! I have many but I like to
    stay as historically accurate as possible.
    Just a personal preference.

Once you own and shoot a Ruger Old Army you won't want any other,I know.[^] [:)] [8D]

Eagle_Guns.gif

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I built only shoots one at a time. I musta missed that cylinder thingee.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunshows often have used for cheap. Definitely worth looking.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bperdue21
    i bought one of the ones out of cabelas, the confederate revolver. it shoots really well, i was surprised by the accuracy of the thing. they are made by uberti. they are pretty good, especially for the price. it is a .44. if i remember correctly, i filled up an empty 45 long colt casing with black powder and shot the balls they sent. hit a 6 inch steel circle at 25 yards practically every time.

Have you ever weighed that charge? I suspect it is way too high.
    A .38 Special case would be a better charge. Note in addition that
    the Confederate revolvers have brass frames rather than steel.
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a big 10-4 to Sheepdip and ATF's comments about the Ruger Old Army! Can't say enough good things about that massive pistol!

Plus, you can get conversion cylinders to shoot the .45LC "Cowboy" ammunition in them, as well. I haven't done that yet, but I'm checking into it. Maybe someone who has a conversion cylinder will pipe up with some feedback and info about them.

Big Al (who'd love to find out more about the SASS and cowboy shooting groups around here...)
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i believe it was 20 grains.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.