In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best way to get rid of cat urine smell!!!

sabb0007sabb0007 Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in General Discussion
Please help. I can't get rid of the smell and I am ready to remove the carpet. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    NAPALM
    [:D][:D][:D][:D]

100,000 [:)]Waving.gif[:)]can't be wrong
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When your're done, make sure you get rid of the cat.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    1st - Use the cat for shark bait.

2nd - If you have wood floors under the carpeting, then the urine has probably soaked into the wood. Cat urine is brutal stuff.

3rd - If you don't have wood floors and the carpet isn't destroyed or you aren't ready to give up on it yet, check out this stuff: http://www.urine-off.com/ somebody I work with swears it works great, although, I have not tried it myself.

edited November -1
    quote:Best way to get rid of cat urine smell!!!

Have you tried saturating the area with dog piss??

Sorry, couldn't resist.[:I]

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice.
    Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    Barry Goldwater quoting from Cicero, I've been told.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Massengil *,, works great,, make sure ya get it under the carpet, and into the pad, or your just wasteing your time.. There are those in here that have used it and it Works..

If you dont know what Massengil is ask your wife.....Girl Friend , or lady acquaintence,, ya get it at any drug store..[;)]

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    plug your nose...[;)]

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    shoot the cat

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
    KB1MOB
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution -- make sure you follow the directions and soak it down to the pad and air dry.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Larry, I'm askeered to ask, but how'd you figger that Massingil thing out?

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I used the massingil on my couch and it worked great. It completely eliminated the odor.

Larry

gunanimation.gif
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Massingil's will deodorize it. What do you think it's made for?

Clouder..
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    doc boehm had most of it right, but that smell is in your walls, ceiling, vent system, as well as in your carpet. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is how we've had to do it, several times in our remodels. First you remove all the affected carpet & pad, then seal the subfloor, after scraping it clean, with a polyurethane. Next you will need to apply "KILZ" to all of your walls and ceiling, after you have "KILZ" on all of your walls & ceiling you will need to put some carpet deodorizer on a paper plate in your air handler, then turn on your A/C not heater. Let it run until you don't see any powder coming out of vents. Remove and repaint vents. Now you can repaint the walls & ceiling. When finished have the carpet guys put in your new carpet. Your done! Total time: 100 hours
    >Total Cost (depending on sq. ftg.): around $2750-$4500. And get rid of that cat before you start your rehab.

Crittergitter: I am truly laughing my * off at your signature pic. I think my wife and I looked at it for ten minutes before finally scrolling down. That is a CLASSIC! I don't know where you found it but don't ever let it go.

Consistency is the final refuge of the unimaginative
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    shoot the cat

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
    KB1MOB

+1, you must eliminate the source.[}:)]

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gifth_israelC3.gifPalestine BLOWS.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a mixture that works quite well on skunk, so I bet it might work on cat urine too. Mix 2 pts. of hydrogen peroxide with a box of baking soda. put in some liquid detergent soap, about a shotglass. Scrub the area and start flushing with warm water. Soak it up with dry towels by stepping on it. It works very well on dogs too, and I tryed all the tomatoe juice etc remedies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rebel James....

The question has been asked in here I dont know how many times on getting rid of odors etc and so the answer to your question ....I heard about Massengil from a vet I took my animals to....Its all they stock on the shelves in the clinic and its used to get rid of the skunk smell off dogs....Pour it on full strength, rub in, let dry...Do not rinse...

And how the vet heard of this?...I have no idea but I think a bit of common sense was used...After all the biggest ingredient in it is baking soda...

BlackRoses here...

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    It will deodorize even the worst of P U S S Y Cats!!![:D][:0]

pablue1.gif

Life is a journey fear no one, Respect Everyone
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a commercial product sold in pet stores - white bottle w/ red printing which does a SUPER job of neutralizing the odor of either feline or canine urine, among other unpleasant odors. I wouldn't think of housebreaking a pet without it at hand. I loaned my bottle to a friend who had a cat accidently shut in his car for two days - interior of the vehicle was too rank to describe. After treatment with this stuff, you'd never have guessed. Likely the Massengill is less expensive and for all I know that is the contents of the speciality pet product . . . next time I have the problem, I'm going to try it first.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I had to rip off my entire front porch and replace it due to the stench from these filthy things. I find it is easier to get rid of cats. Shark fishing comes to mind[:p]

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has 6 cats, and does not understand why I do not visit, the ammonia smell is enough to bring up lunch, funny thing about the human sense of smell, you get immune to smells after awhile

All he needs is some baby diapers to top it all off

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been told Lemon Juice will remove any type of foul odor,I gave it a try after a drunk threw up in my cruiser once,and sure enough it works great.

Formerly Rugster!

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy, rehab and sell houses in my spare time. The best solution that I have found is to pull all the carpet and pad off the floor and get rid of it. Then paint the floor and the walls up to about 2 or 3 feet with BIN primer. Unlike KILZ, BIN is a shellac based primer that creates a vapor barrier. You will want to wear a charcoal mask using this stuff because it has a strong odor, but it works. Why paint up the walls about 2 or 3 three feet? Did they have a male cat that was spraying his territory and sprayed the walls too?

Poly on the floor is going to be problematic for two reasons. One, there will be joints that the odor will come through. Second the poly will abrade over time because of the movement of the new flooring and you are back to where you started.

Lemon juice and vinegar might work on minor areas, but not on large areas. Been there, done that.

Watch the red dot!!!!
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    icon, think the product you are thinking of is "out" works well.
    again lie the *, ya gotta soak the spot and getting the worst of it up by stepping on towels helps speed up the process
    VERY STRONG amonia odor for a while as it works but when it dries smell is gone
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DarkStar11
    Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution -- make sure you follow the directions and soak it down to the pad and air dry.

Also a Black light to locate the pee then go with Natures Miracle (less flowery).
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your not going to like the answer, but it is the truth. You need to remove the carpet and pad, and replacet them with new. This will prevent the smell most of the time, but you will still get the smell on warm humid days. The only way to totally get rid of the smell is to also replace the floor boards. Some people who rent from my parents had a cat against lease rules, when they left they were billed for new carpeting(the old stuff was only a year old), new pad, and knew subfloor in the living room. The people paid the bill with out a hiccup.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My boss moved back into his house after a divorce and his ex had a cat that was pissing in one room. He had to replace the entire floor, wood and all. It had sprayed one wall and he had to replace it also. I hate cats!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm with the "execute the cats" crowd. Miserable, filthy creatures.

I have detested them all my life, but when I remarried, guess what came as part of the package? The filthy thing started to crap next to the stinking litter box. It has been living outside ever since. No more cat = no more stink. [;)]

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get rid of tha damn cat.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I hate cats

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***