In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spyware/Virus -- Round 2 (At the end of my rope)

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Computer folks, I could really use some guidance here as I am eaten up with spy/adware and can't shake it for nothing. As soon as I am connected it begins. I get the fake "You have Spyware, click OKAY to scan now" message. Then the pop-ups start and continue out of control until theres 30 or more windows open at which time everything locks up. I'm surprised I've made it this far through this post. Here's what I've tried:

1. Norton has twice detected a "Trojan.Downloader." Each time I have disabled the windows backup function and then searched for and manually deleted the infected file & emptied the recycle bin. The files creation dates matched the time the problems started initially, and since I disabled the Windows back-up funtion I figured I'd licked the problem.

2. I have Spybot, Ad-Aware Personal SE, and the Microsoft Anti-spyware "Beta" program. I have run them all and completely removed any suspect items. The Microsoft one is set to monitor for any new items.

The Norton and 3 anti-spyware scans come up clean. However, as I said above, when my modem connects and I start to do anything the ads start to pop up repeatedly (usually starting with "Atx Marketing", I get the fake Microsoft message, and constant attempts for new toolbars and search functions to install themselves. A few times I've even gotten the ads that say things like "Swat the fly and win a vacation" which include the buzzing fly sound that repeats itself constantly even when everythings closed (only way to stop it is to reboot). I'm at my wits end here. It makes me so sick that companies can do this to people. I'd like to find all the responsible parties and decorate their cars and homes with some really nice "messages" and see how they like it. If any of you can help me I would sincerely appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use aol that is the main problem!

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, when all else fails, you need format and reinstall. That is what I would do.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Are you anti-virus and apyware programs up to date? There are updates on these things coming out almost daily. I have good luck with the AVG free anti virus, and ad-aware. But I update them almost daily.

Just call me "Griffin"

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    dano1dano1 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bite the bullet and buy a legit AntiVirus Software program (McAfee or Norton ~ $40). I think that this is a VERY good start for you - it will REALLY scan for stuff and get rid of it for your spyware tools to start from a baseline. I hope this helps!!! Being infected SUCKS!!

Ive gotten the Downloader and Browser Hijacker dude a couple of times - its spyware also but has the Trojan prefix (from what I remember). Another good move is to switch to Firefox. I did this and have had almost no problems with it than with Internet Explorer...try it..believe me..IMHO....

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Are you anti-virus and apyware programs up to date? There are updates on these things coming out almost daily. I have good luck with the AVG free anti virus, and ad-aware. But I update them almost daily.

Yes, everything is up-to-date as of today. I have no idea how the same stuff can keep reginerating and where it could be hiding.

And I am not using AOL. I use a small service called Highstream, and have never had a problem in 3 years until this week.
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you run spybot and adaware under SAFE mode? You also need to turn of your system resotre. Alot of tims, if you do nto run in Safe Mode, the trojan is in resident memory and does not get dseleted. Also, alot of trojans are setup to infect your sysyemt restore. When you delte them, they come back in force on the sysytem when you reboot. turn off system restore, re-run your anti-virus and anti-spyware software while the computer is in safemode and then reboot normally. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. Also....any other info about the trojan name....anything after "Trojan.Downloader"??

vipersig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano1
    Bite the bullet and buy a legit AntiVirus Software program (McAfee or Norton ~ $40). I think that this is a VERY good start for you - it will REALLY scan for stuff and get rid of it for your spyware tools to start from a baseline. I hope this helps!!! Being infected SUCKS!!

Like I said, I do have a legit paid version of Norton Antivirus, and it is current. Most recently, however, it's scans as well as those of the anti-spyware programs are coming up clean, yet the problem remains. That's what really has me stumped.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    put a bullet in its head and buy a new one
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fep1990
    have you run spybot and adaware under SAFE mode? You also need to turn of your system resotre. Alot of tims, if you do nto run in Safe Mode, the trojan is in resident memory and does not get dseleted. Also, alot of trojans are setup to infect your sysyemt restore. When you delte them, they come back in force on the sysytem when you reboot. turn off system restore, re-run your anti-virus and anti-spyware software while the computer is in safemode and then reboot normally. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. Also....any other info about the trojan name....anything after "Trojan.Downloader"??

I did turn off the system restore. I did not run in SAFE mode though. How do I do that? In regards to the TROJAN.DOWNLOADER, I have deleted two of them. One I think was in the Winsystem32 file and ended vx3x.nls. The other ended partially in winupdt (can't remember the end)
  • Options
    dano1dano1 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Like I said, I do have a legit paid version of Norton Antivirus, and it is current. Most recently, however, it's scans as well as those of the anti-spyware programs are coming up clean, yet the problem remains. That's what really has me stumped.

Sorry you posted after me...

Boy...Another thing you could check for is in Spybot. If you go into Settings (at the left bottom) go to Ignore products ( on the left high) and then make sure all in this list (all products) are UNCHECKED. Maybe one is checked?
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when you reboot the computer....as soon as the computer starts and runs the BIOS, hit the F8 button a few times. you will get a boot option menu. tell it to boot in SAFE mode. SAFE mode will only load the basic and troubleshooting files of windows. Dont worry about yuor screen resolution. just the basic windows files and drivers will load. run your antivirus and adware software. this might rid yourself of the problem. also...do not turn sysytem restore back on. make sure your sysytem is free of the trojans and that you delte all old restore points before you turn it back on. to get the computer running full again, reboot adn push F8 and click on boot normally after all is fixed.

vipersig.jpg
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norton is CRAP! GET RID OF IT! Use AVG! I had all sorts of problems, Norton said I was CLEAN.....AVG found THREE FILES that Norton didn't find!

Merc

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    try to run the 'live update' on your norton. then run the scan. manually removing it doesn't work. Also uninstall Adaware SE. If 'live update fails to run, (and you have to have a legit, current version of Norton), post back an I'll tell you how to fix it.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made tham out of meat!
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    Computer folks, I could really use some guidance here as I am eaten up with spy/adware and can't shake it for nothing. As soon as I am connected it begins. I get the fake "You have Spyware, click OKAY to scan now" message. Then the pop-ups start and continue out of control until theres 30 or more windows open at which time everything locks up. I'm surprised I've made it this far through this post. Here's what I've tried:

1. Norton has twice detected a "Trojan.Downloader." Each time I have disabled the windows backup function and then searched for and manually deleted the infected file & emptied the recycle bin. The files creation dates matched the time the problems started initially, and since I disabled the Windows back-up funtion I figured I'd licked the problem.

2. I have Spybot, Ad-Aware Personal SE, and the Microsoft Anti-spyware "Beta" program. I have run them all and completely removed any suspect items. The Microsoft one is set to monitor for any new items.

The Norton and 3 anti-spyware scans come up clean. However, as I said above, when my modem connects and I start to do anything the ads start to pop up repeatedly (usually starting with "Atx Marketing", I get the fake Microsoft message, and constant attempts for new toolbars and search functions to install themselves. A few times I've even gotten the ads that say things like "Swat the fly and win a vacation" which include the buzzing fly sound that repeats itself constantly even when everythings closed (only way to stop it is to reboot). I'm at my wits end here. It makes me so sick that companies can do this to people. I'd like to find all the responsible parties and decorate their cars and homes with some really nice "messages" and see how they like it. If any of you can help me I would sincerely appreciate it.

Buddy im gonna help you out because i once was a computer programmer
    the bug is called MINIBUGTRANSPORTER
    you cannot get rid of it
    there is only one way to stop it get a program called MagicTweak or ill copy it and send you a copy it lets you override things that take over your computer no matter what if it cant be deleted magic tweak can disable it so it will never come on again. btw the best way to check your computer for problems is use Control/alt/delete then click on processes anytime you see something suspicious there go to the search on your computer and type it in (make sure you are checking hidden files when doing this) from there you can right click on the findings and find out what it is if in the properties it says unknown or PF file 9 times out of 10 it is bad delete it (note alot of these recycle themselves so dump out your recycle bin immediately afterwards) and here is how to tell immediately if it is bad or not. If it says .exe and its under your name it was downloaded anything that says system or local network is good dont delete that. if you have any more questions feel free to email me (but dont send me a virus :)) anyhow hope i helped and goodluck (ps if you need a free update of the ultimate norton i can give you that too)

good luck buddy

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder